Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Depends on the delivery and context.  Matey and pal can be used friendly or unfriendly.  Over here we have the far worse "bud" (short but incredibly common alternative to buddy).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I moved into my flat back in December, it got me off Erdington High Street and all the noise and trouble that came with it.

Only problem is that there is some sort of crack den over the road and there is always **** trouble out there, 8 kids rowing from 4:30am till 6:30am, I wouldn't mind if they just had a scrap and sorted it out but they ponce about bouncing around like rubbish football hooligans and do nothing.

Just have a **** straightener and let me get back to sleep.

From Erdington High Street to Henley, very Swanky!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

to talk to my wife and I

This ^

It should be 'to talk to my wife and me'

The trick is to take the other person out and if it sounds wrong, it is wrong.

This would then read 'to talk to I'

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, BOF said:

Depends on the delivery and context.  Matey and pal can be used friendly or unfriendly.  Over here we have the far worse "bud" (short but incredibly common alternative to buddy).

I use all of those in a warm colloquial manner apart from pal. I find it too harsh.

Matey, bud, buddy, budski, dude. All reserved for lovely people. Mate is for almost anyone. Pal is passive aggressive, unless it's pallymonga.

54 minutes ago, V01 said:

You're all wrong...

The correct term of address to someone you don't know is mush.

I'm from London , the correct term of address for someone you don't know is to avoid eye contact and say nothing to them 

ok I'm not really from London and too be fair people have got much better at talking to strangers lately 

My problem is that very few people interest me enough for me to bother learning their name.

I'm utterly self obsessed right up to the point of realising I need something from someone. But at that point, having known 'bloke' for 10 minutes or 6 months or since my wife gave birth to him, I realise I didn't memorise the name.

So I'm stuck with using a casual term of endearment, to appear approachable and friendly and get what I want from 'matey fella geezer lad hiya alright yo pal'.

Edited by chrisp65
of all the words to omit, I left out I
  • Like 2

Turn up for a blood test at local health centre. Receptionist says "dunno why she (in the office) booked you in for 3.40pm cos the blood van has already left for today"

Now....two things here ; i get up early from a night shift to get here for 3.40pm so I'm still half asleep but what really yanked my chain was that her dopey receptionist mate chips in by saying "yeah, i tried to call you....on your mobile that ends in 084, to warn you"

I get my phone out infront of her. No missed call or text. Total fckin lie ! I wouldn't mind but they texted me the day before reminding me not to miss it.

I'm totally against aggression towards nhs staff and understand mistakes happen but the overall "shrugginess, not our fault" of it all and the lie about the call almost made me lose it in my half awake state. Luckily, i found myself walking out back to the car before the red mist tried to shroud my mood.

Birmingham Airport.

Brum's answer to Mos Eisley, aka a wretched hive of scum and villainy. 

Security queues :bang:

Baggage handling :angry:

Border control :twisted:

• Like 1

Just now, wazzap24 said:

Birmingham Airport.

Brum's answer to Mos Eisley, aka a wretched hive of scum and villainy. 

Security queues :bang:

Baggage handling :angry:

Border control :twisted:

I have noticed that Brum airport do perform their security checks with disproportionate amounts of vigour compared to other regional airports.  They're up there with Heathrow.  Probably to their credit, in fairness.  Or maybe I just look dodgy :P 

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

I have noticed that Brum airport do perform their security checks with disproportionate amounts of vigour compared to other regional airports.  They're up there with Heathrow.  Probably to their credit, in fairness.  Or maybe I just look dodgy :P 

I don't mind a bit of vigour, I'm not even adverse to a pinky in the bumhole, I just object to queuing for half hour for the pleasure! :D

• Like 2

Just now, wazzap24 said:

I'm not even adverse to a pinky in the bumhole

Only happened me the once.  I can tell you I was irate.  Mainly because I was still tenth in the queue and it was done by a fellow day-tripper !

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jon said:

Matey is a friendly colloquialism, isn't it? :huh:

I use various greetings, for blokes I don't know or don't know the names of. 'sir', 'dude', 'mate', 'matey', 'fella', 'squire'.  All meant to be friendly.  

I agree chief. 

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Only happened me the once.  I can tell you I was irate.  Mainly because I was still tenth in the queue and it was done by a fellow day-tripper !

I'm ok as I long as I'm aware its going to happen. Unlike a lady I had a one night stand with a few years back and she just decided to stick her finger in dry with no warning. I yelped like a puppy that had been trodden on. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, darrenm said:

This ^

It should be 'to talk to my wife and me'

The trick is to take the other person out and if it sounds wrong, it is wrong.

This would then read 'to talk to I'

I only wrote it that way because I didn't want to be picked up on incorrect grammar as I was criticising the way the nursery girls were talking yet I still get it wrong :blush:

The days of good English is went. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I don't like it, either. 

Same with the lad that used to work in our local corner shop, who always called me 'matey'. I think he was not long over from India, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt for thinking he was using a friendly colloquialism. 

My ex boss used to call everyone Matey.  I hate being called bab. I am a 47 year old responsible man.  I don't need some 20 yr old gum chewing girl from the sandwich shop calling me bab. 

And I am most certainly not their love for that matter.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm ok as I long as I'm aware its going to happen. Unlike a lady I had a one night stand with a few years back and she just decided to stick her finger in dry with no warning. I yelped like a puppy that had been trodden on. 

Congratulations. A post containing absolutely no information I every wanted to know!

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Congratulations. A post containing absolutely no information I every wanted to know!

Glad to be of service! 

Â