Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

In fairness, while the airline handled it appallingly, when they called law enforcement, they probably weren't expecting them to knock him out then drag his body off the plane while he was out cold. They're not responsible for the actions of that police officer.

It should have been resolved without calling the police, absolutely, but the assault isn't United's fault.

Edited by Davkaus

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not an expert in American airlines - just viewing them from afar - but I wonder if this won't help them in the long run. Since none of them seem to compete on service, and as far as I can tell their constant main concern is competing on price with Southwest and other low-cost carriers, a scandal like this will help if it persuades more people to upgrade to first (to guarantee their seats and not be treated like cattle) or check in early online (allowing them to lay off check in counter staff). 

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that they will lose out on long-haul because of this, where there is a lot more competition. 

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Isn't it illegal to refuse to comply with an order to leave an aircraft? It doesn't justify the manhandling, but you can't just say "lol no" when the police tell you to get off a plane.

Yes it is, once you you have been asked to leave an aircraft you must leave the aircraft. Failure to comply will lead to law enforcement being called to remove you. The law is the same everywhere. If this was in the UK then police would have boarded the plane and removed the passenger too.

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

Absolutely this. An easy solution if airlines are intent on overbooking is a reverse auction.

"Ladies and gents we need 4 people to take the next flight. We'll start at $300, press the call button if you'd like to take that offer.

$350" ding

"$400" ding ding

$450" ding 

I'm sure I read somewhere that they did do this but no one wanted to leave the aircraft

It was probably given as vouchers, which is something that also belongs in this thread

5 hours ago, darrenm said:

Absolutely this. An easy solution if airlines are intent on overbooking is a reverse auction.

"Ladies and gents we need 4 people to take the next flight. We'll start at $300, press the call button if you'd like to take that offer.

$350" ding

"$400" ding ding

$450" ding 

They did that. Apparently they offered $800 and had no takers.

I get @Genie's train of thought.
The airline is totally at fault here. It should NEVER have gotten to the stage where the police were called, they should have just taken it on the chin and accepted they'd **** up.

However, if you get to the stage where the police are telling you to do something and you're refusing, then you're being a bit stubborn to say the least. 

That's not putting blame on the Doctor, again it's the Airline's fault. But if the police are telling you to get off the plane (legally I may add) then you should probably just do it.

It's basically the same as if someone accuses you of robbing a shop and the police turn up to arrest you. Even if you haven't robbed the shop, if you then resist arrest it's not going to help matters.

• Like 2

Cheers @Stevo985, that's the point I was trying (badly) to make.

Its a really shitty situation the airline has created, but they do reserve the right to remove people from flights if they wish. I assume they asked him several times and he refused. Then the police turn up and he's still refusing to get off the plane. Now they HAVE to remove him by force because of this refusal. I don't think for a second the officer deliberately smashed the guys head into the armrest, but it was a result of the struggle he was causing.

Yes the airline shouldn't have let the situation happen

Yes the airline should have done more to encourage people to leave the plane or put their staff on another flight

But this passenger needs to carry some of the blame for ending up injured.

The PR disaster should ironically help with United's policy of over-selling their flights if people with tickets refuse to travel with them in the short term :D 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They did that. Apparently they offered $800 and had no takers.

I get @Genie's train of thought.
The airline is totally at fault here. It should NEVER have gotten to the stage where the police were called, they should have just taken it on the chin and accepted they'd **** up.

However, if you get to the stage where the police are telling you to do something and you're refusing, then you're being a bit stubborn to say the least. 

That's not putting blame on the Doctor, again it's the Airline's fault. But if the police are telling you to get off the plane (legally I may add) then you should probably just do it.

It's basically the same as if someone accuses you of robbing a shop and the police turn up to arrest you. Even if you haven't robbed the shop, if you then resist arrest it's not going to help matters.

No there's 2 very different things there. 

A hypothetical situation:

1. You're taking photographs at the park and a police officer tells you to stop because it's illegal. You know it isn't so you say "I'm sorry officer this isn't illegal I'd like to continue". You continue to do it because there's nothing wrong with it. That's not resisting arrest.

2. If the police officer then decides to arrest you for a made up law, only then if you physically attempt to stop yourself being arrested, that's resisting arrest and is the point you go along with what they say.

Refusing to go along with what the police tell you to do is not a crime. If it's while they're trying to arrest you it is.

I accept it is different in the USA though.

Just now, darrenm said:

No there's 2 very different things there. 

A hypothetical situation:

1. You're taking photographs at the park and a police officer tells you to stop because it's illegal. You know it isn't so you say "I'm sorry officer this isn't illegal I'd like to continue". You continue to do it because there's nothing wrong with it. That's not resisting arrest.

2. If the police officer then decides to arrest you for a made up law, only then if you physically attempt to stop yourself being arrested, that's resisting arrest and is the point you go along with what they say.

Refusing to go along with what the police tell you to do is not a crime. If it's while they're trying to arrest you it is.

I accept it is different in the USA though.

They were legally within their rights to remove him from the aircraft. As shitty as it is, I believe he was breaking the law by refusing to be removed.

• Like 2

One consequence of the Twitter, FB biweekly explosions of public opinion is that it feels like people discuss the ins and outs of morality a lot more than before. 

Would that be fair? 

Although it seems like society is increasingly getting outraged over everything if we all have a lot better steer over our own moral compass that has to be a good thing overall, doesn't it? 

This is unrelated to the United thing and also off topic so double damn me. 

United have lost at least one customer now though. I'm flying to the US in two weeks for work and United are one of the approved airlines. I'll be avoiding them now.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

United have lost at least one customer now though. I'm flying to the US in two weeks for work and United are one of the approved airlines. I'll be avoiding them now.

"UNITED!"

"SHIT!"

Been saying that for years. Everyone knows that.  

• Like 4

Stupidity of my staff.

Had an inkling a Greek guy on my team was making personal calls using work telephony, couldn't prove it. Hear him speaking Greek, go into our interaction software, make a note of the number he's speaking with, google it; it's a Greek version of Gumtree and he's buying a lamp.

If he did when i wasn't here, he'd be undetectable.

Now we have to have a fun chat.

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

it's a Greek version of Gumtree and he's buying a lamp.

If he did when i wasn't here, he'd be undetectable.

Now we have to have a fun chat.

What, like "which Lampshade goes best with this"?

Forgetting that I had my bank card in my trouser pocket before proceeding to put the trousers in the washing machine.  Yep, the bank card is nackered (even the chip has gone!).  This happened on Sunday by the way and the lovely lady on the phone said I would have a replacement within 2 or 3 working days.  2 days have passed and I have no cash! (luckily my car has petrol and I have food).

Hurry up and get here you stupid piece of plastic.  I don't really want to go into a branch to withdraw money showing them my mangled up card*.

*I know they'll give me money with ID but it's still embarrassing :) 

Â