Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Having a crap day at work only to come home to discover someone in a completely knackered car has just decided it's OK to park completely over my drive.

Thankfully I have a small car and the neighbours also have a drop curb, so I just managed to squeeze on. But I'd **** if it was even slightly more badly parked or I had a slightly bigger car. That isn't the point though, I shouldn't have to do that.

Saw the bloke return to the car and went up to explain he's taking the piss, he's blocking access to the property, bloke makes out he's done nothing wrong and I shouldn't I come to him with attitude!?

I sincerely hope a bridge falls on the word removed in the next few hours.

Online only offers when its the same store.

When in store prices of items don't match that same stores website. £26 online yet the item I'm holding in my hand is £20 more expensive in store. Stupidness.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Having a crap day at work only to come home to discover someone in a completely knackered car has just decided it's OK to park completely over my drive.

Thankfully I have a small car and the neighbours also have a drop curb, so I just managed to squeeze on. But I'd **** if it was even slightly more badly parked or I had a slightly bigger car. That isn't the point though, I shouldn't have to do that.

Saw the bloke return to the car and went up to explain he's taking the piss, he's blocking access to the property, bloke makes out he's done nothing wrong and I shouldn't I come to him with attitude!?

Happens to me on a weekly basis, sometimes more than once a week.

Worst example was when the drive was blocked for 8 hours.

I've had words with a few people, it's staggering how many seem to think I'm the one being unreasonable.

The day is looming where I take a hammer to someone's car.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, trekka said:

Forgetting that I had my bank card in my trouser pocket before proceeding to put the trousers in the washing machine.  Yep, the bank card is nackered (even the chip has gone!).  This happened on Sunday by the way and the lovely lady on the phone said I would have a replacement within 2 or 3 working days.  2 days have passed and I have no cash! (luckily my car has petrol and I have food).

Hurry up and get here you stupid piece of plastic.  I don't really want to go into a branch to withdraw money showing them my mangled up card*.

*I know they'll give me money with ID but it's still embarrassing :) 

A good reason to have more than one method of payment. Best to have a credit card or two and/or a second debit account. I use a couple of credit cards that reward cash back or Avios (air miles). Cards are set to automatically pay off the balance each month so there's no cost, just 'reward'.

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Online only offers when its the same store.

When in store prices of items don't match that same stores website. £26 online yet the item I'm holding in my hand is £20 more expensive in store. Stupidness.

It's almost like they are trying to encourage trade online rather than in their old fashioned and expensive shops. :)

1 minute ago, brommy said:

A good reason to have more than one method of payment. Best to have a credit card or two and/or a second debit account. I use a couple of credit cards that reward cash back or Avios (air miles). Cards are set to automatically pay off the balance each month so there's no cost, just 'reward'.

This is where Apple Pay is brilliant as the card on your phone updates instantly.

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Stupidity of my staff.

Had an inkling a Greek guy on my team was making personal calls using work telephony, couldn't prove it. Hear him speaking Greek, go into our interaction software, make a note of the number he's speaking with, google it; it's a Greek version of Gumtree and he's buying a lamp.

If he did when i wasn't here, he'd be undetectable.

Now we have to have a fun chat.

He's buying a lamp from Greece and shipping it to Poland?

Must be some lamp! ;)

27 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm staggered people think it is acceptable to do this. What a tool. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Happens to me on a weekly basis, sometimes more than once a week.

Worst example was when the drive was blocked for 8 hours.

I've had words with a few people, it's staggering how many seem to think I'm the one being unreasonable.

The day is looming where I take a hammer to someone's car.

My neighbour on the other side already pushes it but he doesn't quite block the drive. But this was completely taking the piss.

Id have taken a hammer to it but I'd have upped the things value.

Did a bit more reading up on airlines overbooking seats and on some routes, they overbook by 50%, gambling that people won't turn up (usually on the main business routes). Disgraceful! They're deliberately selling something they can't honour if everyone turns up. I'm angry thinking about!

I've taken probably hundreds of flights and only experienced it once, but that was more than enough. 

Just now, Chindie said:

My neighbour on the other side already pushes it but he doesn't quite block the drive. But this was completely taking the piss.

Id have taken a hammer to it but I'd have upped the things value.

Then a different course of action is required... 

Such as using super glue on the lock for the petrol cap if it's a piece of shit with an external lock.

5 hours ago, darrenm said:

Refusing to go along with what the police tell you to do is not a crime. If it's while they're trying to arrest you it is.

A couple of examples from when I was a mere slip of a yoof.

I was driving along, went through a green filter arrow, 50 metres later there's a red light so I stop. A police car pulls up alongside and tells me to pull over on the other side of the lights. I did this, got out and he asks me why I went through a red back there. 'Ah!', I say, 'it wasn't red, there was a green filter, I went through the green, turned left not straight on'. He insisted it was red, I insisted it was green and it all began to get a bit heated.

At the point I finally conceded, I said something vaguely along the lines of how I was really really sorry hadn't meant to and was sure I hadn't but he was the police and in power so sorry. At that point his chum chipped in before the first officer could respond and said 'right, well now you've admitted it we can all move on, don't do it again'. Clearly good cop could see that bad cop was being a dick.

Second one was a bit odd. Got stopped and accused of drink driving. Told them I hadn't had a drop in days but was happy to be tested. They said they didn't want to test me but I had to leave my car and walk home. I said I thought that was a bit odd, telling a drink driver to walk home rather than testing or arresting him. Conversation went on like that for a good few minutes. Eventually for some reason, I announced I was sober but bored and was getting in my car and going home. They stood there and watched me get in the car and drive off, never stopped me, never followed me.

Weird.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Did a bit more reading up on airlines overbooking seats and on some routes, they overbook by 50%, gambling that people won't turn up (usually on the main business routes). Disgraceful! They're deliberately selling something they can't honour if everyone turns up. I'm angry thinking about!

I've taken probably hundreds of flights and only experienced it once, but that was more than enough. 

If you're a regular flier it's less likely to happen (I imagine Tony H can correct me on that one if it's bogus).

I used to commute by plane for a while (oh yeah, Mr rock n roll). Never once was I asked to stand down, saw plenty of others stood down, but never the guy that flew every Monday and Friday. They always selected people with no booking history.

Same with hotels. They sometimes over book deliberately. Also, here's where I'm going to upset someone...I have an account with Accor hotels (Ibis, Novotel, Mercure) where I'm guaranteed a room at 24 hours notice. Now, I suspect they do not keep empty rooms in case regulars turns up. I suspect they bump people out of their hotel rooms too. I've used that card to book a room when others have been told the hotel was full.

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've had it at Travelodge in the past. Never used them again.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon. A lot of people do not even bother looking where they stop their car (I won't give them the credit of calling it parking).

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to speak to people about it outside mine. Occasionally they're very apologetic and sort it out immediately, mostly they just shrug and move their car, sometimes they get indignant and don't think there's a problem and occasionally they get threatening and aggressive. One bloke even left after an angry confrontation telling me that 'he'd be back with some mates and that he knew where I lived'. Erm, no shit, pal. :lol:

Edited by snowychap

The United Airlines story just shows how willing the American state is to use force, no questions asked, on behalf of the owner of a business in what was a contractual dispute.

It is indicative of our attitude towards the state that the story is being presented as a public relations issue rather than the arbitrary use of power by law enforcement, using laws enacted for an entirely different purpose.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The United Airlines story just shows how willing the American state is to use force, no questions asked, on behalf of the owner of a business in what was a contractual dispute.

In pretty much any other environment you'd be right, it becomes a criminal matter on a plane though.

I completely agree with the second half of your post though. Lots of outrage that United called the police, barely a peep about how unnecessarily aggressive the police were. Still, he's probably lucky he wasn't shot.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

United have lost at least one customer now though. I'm flying to the US in two weeks for work and United are one of the approved airlines. I'll be avoiding them now.

Realising that this trip will mean I miss the Blues game :( 

Â