Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

How early everything closes in the UK. 

I chat with foreigners living in the UK every day as part of my job, and when asked what they don't like about living here, one of the top two complaints is always how early everything shuts. They're often surprised when I enthusiastically agree with this, but having lived in other countries it pisses me off no end. At half past seven this evening, I decided to go on a day trip tomorrow and wanted to pick a couple of things up - I checked online, is Merry Hill open at half past seven on a Saturday evening? Is it ****. At half past nine, I went for a walk around Blackheath for an hour. What's open? Pubs, and a Pizza Hut Delivery. No other businesses. 

I hate how we all just retreat into our little rabbit hutches as soon as the sun goes down. Rubbish. 

London is very much the exception to this, everything seems to be open late, at least in zone 1!

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

London is very much the exception to this, everything seems to be open late, at least in zone 1!

Indeed, and the point is not 'staid, stuffy Britain vs. The Cool World of Abroad', but big cities v. small towns and rural areas. London and Los Angeles are 24/7, Douglas IoM and Drygulch Arkansas aren't. That's fine with me. 

In a bar with the missus last night, we're stood next to some woman at the bar, she says her names something and offers her hand for shaking, I tell her my name and shake hands, she licked my hand...my missus went nuts at me, I just about stopped her from storming our, still moaning about it this morning

Edited by villa4europe

14 hours ago, Xela said:

Now, I was apprehensive at first as the team in India would be doing my paperwork (legal and financial documentation relating to deals I have secured) and was worried about if the standards and service would slip in going from a UK team to an Indian team. How wrong was I! 

I wish i could share your enthusiasm xela. We outsourced a lot of our IT services to 2 different companies based in india (not before the poor buggers earmarked for redundancy had to train up their indian counterparts) and it's safe to say that dealing with the "third parties" is 99% pure bloody frustration ! Language difficulties, dealing with their call centres who seem to be unable to deviate from a script and the pure fact that we are just one of many accounts they deal with gives the distinct impression that they dont "get" the pressures of our business, which is particularly galling when our own inhouse team were on the ball - not always perfect but knew our industry. 

Cheap isn't always best :(

It's very much a generalisation of a country with hundreds of millions of people, but my experience of working with probably a couple of dozen offshoring Indian companies is that they can follow a process perfectly and efficiently. Admin work will get done fine. Following a script or documented process goes fine. Ask them to think independently or do something that's not in their process, without step by step instructions, and you're out of luck, which is a bit of a pain in the arse for tech work.

Having said that, the companies in the UK that offshore to India are doing so to save costs. They inevitably go for the cheapest offshoring solution they can find. The best and brightest Indian tech workers certainly aren't working for the big offshoring companies.

My company are offshoring tonnes from the UK to our branch in Poland.

To be honest, it's cheaper and IMO the provision is better as we are a centralised centre doing all Service Desk, whereas Service Desk in the UK for my company is scattered all over the place.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

In a bar with the missus last night, we're stood next to some woman at the bar, she says her names something and offers her hand for shaking, I tell her my name and shake hands, she licked my hand...my missus went nuts at me, I just about stopped her from storming our, still moaning about it this morning

:huh:

Whoa! Lets go back to the hand licking...

Standard.

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

I wish i could share your enthusiasm xela. We outsourced a lot of our IT services to 2 different companies based in india (not before the poor buggers earmarked for redundancy had to train up their indian counterparts) and it's safe to say that dealing with the "third parties" is 99% pure bloody frustration ! Language difficulties, dealing with their call centres who seem to be unable to deviate from a script and the pure fact that we are just one of many accounts they deal with gives the distinct impression that they dont "get" the pressures of our business, which is particularly galling when our own inhouse team were on the ball - not always perfect but knew our industry. 

Cheap isn't always best :(

Ah, I think the difference for me is that we haven't outsourced the work to a third party. We employ 30,000 people in India so have merely moved the work to one of our centres over there. They have no direct contact with my clients, they just need to follow instructions and my requests and they do the basics fantastically well as @Davkaus says. They aren't being asked to think outside the box. Any query they have comes through me via text, email or instant message. I've never even spoken to them on the phone! They are a good team and are immeasurably better at doing the work than the UK team were. 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I know yeah! It was weird as ****, my reaction according to the missus was obviously wrong but I honestly didn't know what to do!

Ha! What did you do? Shouldn't your missus have directed her ire towards the hand licking female?

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Ah, I think the difference for me is that we haven't outsourced the work to a third party.

Ah fair point, i just assumed it was similar to my situation.

Ok, I'm off to cut the grass so you could say i'm "doing the needful on a priorty basis !"

Jeez..... i'm even sounding like one of them now :wacko:

Â