Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Those thugs are actually from the Chicago Aviation Police Department rather than TSA or United Airline employees. The PR is going to cost them a fortune, but United certainly aren't going to be the ones paying him off.

Last year when I went to Nantes with the villa I flew from Southampton, was in the airport bar, there was a bit of a fracas, overheard it, they'd overbooked a flight to Munich, picked 2 passengers at random to miss out, problem being those 2 were part of a 20+ group of lads on their way to a stag do, all of them had got off and were kicking off in the bar...think they ended up arranging taxis for them all to take them to different airports (Bristol, stansted) for different flights, hopefully the lads took them for a fortune

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I don't really understand the logic behind overbooking flights anyway.  I'm surprised it's even legal.

They want to capitalise on passengers not turning up. Selling the same seat twice is quite appealing! I'd agree though, it's bullshit. If you've bought a ticket, you should get a seat. You've paid for a flight, you're no doubt got things planned at the other end. It shouldn't be allowed to sell something to multiple people hoping that the numbers work out.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

They want to capitalise on passengers not turning up. Selling the same seat twice is quite appealing! I'd agree though, it's bullshit. If you've bought a ticket, you should get a seat. You've paid for a flight, you're no doubt got things planned at the other end. It shouldn't be allowed to sell something to multiple people hoping that the numbers work out.

I can't think of any other industry that does it and gets away with it.

Then again, this wasn't even a normal overbooking, it was the airline deciding that some of their own staff needed to get on the flight. He wasn't dragged off for another customer. They just didn't want to suffer the frustration and inconvenience of not being able to catch a full flight they thought trhey could get on. It's almost comical.

It's like having a hotel room, then someone knocking on the door to tell you that the guy on the night shift needs your room to rest. Then the police coming and kicking the shit out of you if you don't leave.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Its mental. It's like selling 45,000 tickets for a football game in a 40,000 capacity stadium. 

I was fuming and having a right go at the airline counter, which is retrospect is not the way to ensure you get on the flight, but I was just incandescent with rage. All they said was "well, its in the terms and conditions"! 

Nowadays I always ensure I check myself in online as soon as it opens, be it 3 days or a week before the flight. Not getting myself in that position again. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I can't think of any other industry that does it and gets away with it.

Hotels will often do it. When I worked in one I hated it, working out who was the best to book out to another hotel. The best case scenario was we booked them in another hotel and got in touch with them so they could go straight there. Sometimes they didn't find out till got to reception.

Why didn't the check in staff stop checking people in when they got to the number they considered full? The mess up on the day started there. Should never have gotten to the point where there flight is about to leave when they wanted to correct the "problem".

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why didn't the check in staff stop checking people in when they got to the number they considered full? The mess up on the day started there. Should never have gotten to the point where there flight is about to leave when they wanted to correct the "problem".

United Airlines didn't realise they needed four of their staff to be on the flight until the paying passengers were all on the aircraft. I imagine a United Airlines manager was worried about being in trouble for not sorting out a potential short staff issue on another flight and decided they would prefer to really annoy four passengers, supposedly chosen at random, instead. Privately, United Airlines will be blaming the passenger for resisting and cursing the film and social media capability of the other passengers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brommy said:

United Airlines didn't realise they needed four of their staff to be on the flight until the paying passengers were all on the aircraft. I imagine a United Airlines manager was worried about being in trouble for not sorting out a potential short staff issue on another flight and decided they would prefer to really annoy four passengers, supposedly chosen at random, instead. Privately, United Airlines will be blaming the passenger for resisting and cursing the film and social media capability of the other passengers.

Even more outrageous then, such disregard for their paying customers to just chuck 4 of them off because they made a late decision.

Will their CEO be paying a visit to congress soon?

I suspect laws about over booking will be altered after this. It's just greed isn't it. If someone has paid and doesn't turn up then it goes empty, or it's sold last minute.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

They want to capitalise on passengers not turning up.

But that passenger has still paid for the seat right? So it's not the fact that they lose money when they don't show up. Its completely mental.

The plus side to all this is that next time they want to bump you, you get your phone out and pretend to call Handjerker, Cohen & Bromberg (you can call your mum for all it matters) and they'll panic and bump someone else instead. 

18 minutes ago, Tegis said:

But that passenger has still paid for the seat right? So it's not the fact that they lose money when they don't show up. Its completely mental.

Mostly greed, but there are still some refundable tickets out there, mostly bought for business. They're also priced highly enough to cover the ones that are refunded.

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

More videos of the poor guy have cropped up, the aftermath, looks utterly traumatised, repeatedly saying "just kill me". He is going to become a very rich man from this. 

He's lucky people filmed it so the police couldn't invent their own version of events.

I'm still not hugely convinced that they won't squirm out of it. They'll claim he was resisting, on an aeroplane after being instructed to leave.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

More videos of the poor guy have cropped up, the aftermath, looks utterly traumatised, repeatedly saying "just kill me". He is going to become a very rich man from this. 

Whilst I agree to a point, if he's being told to do something by the police and then physically refuses then I guess he's breaking the law isn't he? The head bang wasn't intentional but a result of him having to be removed as he resisted the police attempts to that point.

Legally the flight crew can ask him to leave the plane, he refused and had to be dragged off resulting in the injury.

6 of each.

Â