Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Sorry to bring up football here.

But, people who aren't content with just not rating a Villa player, take it upon themselves to run them into the ground at any opportunity even if said player has a good game. It's maddening.

There is absolutely zero point arguing with people at the best of times, especially over the internet.

So true, someone tried hype in my inbox earlier, trying to create an argument, I just told him to piss off and ignore my posts if he doesn't like me. 

Sorry to bring up football here.

But, people who aren't content with just not rating a Villa player, take it upon themselves to run them into the ground at any opportunity even if said player has a good game. It's maddening.

There is absolutely zero point arguing with people at the best of times, especially over the internet.

So true, someone tried hype in my inbox earlier, trying to create an argument, I just told him to piss off and ignore my posts if he doesn't like me. 

lJHcJb9.gif

• Like 1

Someone hasnt put enough postage on something at the post office for me, I am hoping its a stash of CD's that a random person has sent me for no reason, but I feel its a postcard from my parents.

Reading this.  She should have gone down for murder.  11 years (much shorter after parole) is far too short for that poor boy:

A mother who killed her three-year-old son, dumped his body in a suitcase and claimed that he was missing has been jailed for 11 years.

Mikaeel Kular, a "healthy, happy little boy", died two days after being beaten repeatedly by Rosdeep Adekoya following a family day-out in January.

After discovering his lifeless body on the floor of their Edinburgh home in Ferry Gait Crescent, she put it in the suitcase and drove about 25 miles to Kirkcaldy, Fife, to hide it in woodland behind her sister's house.

Adekoya dialled 999 to report him missing to police, sparking a major two-day search operation involving the emergency services and hundreds of local people who volunteered to help.

In reality, she had beaten him so badly that when his body was found it had more than 40 separate injuries.

SOURCE

The thing which amazed me from the start was that no photograph appeared of her until she was convicted.

It seems that someone accused of child murder has more privileges before the law and in the media than someone accused of rape or groping someone thirty years ago.

I think we have to assume that her light sentence was based upon her so-called remorse but it is hard to believe that anyone who went to so much trouble to deceive the police would be considered sincere when expressing remorse.

We just have to accept that women are treated differently before the law than men because there is still a different view of women's ability to exercise moral agency than men.

It Pisses Me Off (But Shouldn't) that the term 'pop quiz' is now routinely being used to mean 'quiz', rather than 'quiz about pop music'. And, yes, I have mentioned this before.

Pop quiz was never, to my knowledge, used as "quiz about pop music". Obviously a quiz about pop music would be by definition a pop quiz, but nearly every usage I'm familiar with derives from "unexpected or not publicly scheduled quiz* in school".

To the extent that the term has become associated with any quiz, it's increase in usage is deplorable.

*: at least in American education, a quiz is basically a short exam, typically given far lower weight than exams and projects/labs and generally serving to make sure that the class is paying attention.

Disgusting. The Americanisation of 'apologise'.

It isn't (necessarily) an 'Americanization'.  ;)

You'd expect someone from Oxford of all places to know that.

I guess I don't have your Harvard education.

It Pisses Me Off (But Shouldn't) that the term 'pop quiz' is now routinely being used to mean 'quiz', rather than 'quiz about pop music'. And, yes, I have mentioned this before.

Pop quiz was never, to my knowledge, used as "quiz about pop music". Obviously a quiz about pop music would be by definition a pop quiz, but nearly every usage I'm familiar with derives from "unexpected or not publicly scheduled quiz* in school".

To the extent that the term has become associated with any quiz, it's increase in usage is deplorable.

*: at least in American education, a quiz is basically a short exam, typically given far lower weight than exams and projects/labs and generally serving to make sure that the class is paying attention.

I always understood it to mean a quiz or test that was unexpected. So like an exam at school that the teacher just springs on you without preparation.

It's never meant a quiz about pop music.

That being said, I've only ever heard it referenced on american TV shows

I suspect someone is still reading Levi's application 20 years after he applied  :)

• Like 4

I suspect someone is still reading Levi's application 20 years after he applied  :)

o-029-0120.jpg

I always understood it to mean a quiz or test that was unexpected. So like an exam at school that the teacher just springs on you without preparation.

It's never meant a quiz about pop music.

That being said, I've only ever heard it referenced on american TV shows

Pop Quiz is a British television quiz programme that originally aired on BBC1 from 4 July 1981 to 28 December 1984 with a Top of the Pops special on 4 January 1994 hosted by Mike Read. It was then revived from 21 May to 9 July 1994 on the same channel but this time hosted by Chris Tarrant. It was revived again on Red TV from 14 June 2008 to 30 August 2008 with Mike Read returning as host and again in December 2011 for a one-off Christmas Special on Vintage TV.The show has both team and individual rounds. The individual rounds see each player given a song then asked a question about the song (like a guest player on the recording) or asked to name a song where a certain lyric appears. Team rounds include a naming a list of number one hits by a group, a compilation of songs of a particular theme where the teams guess the artists and a quick-fire round.

Wikipedia

And pubs (certainly around here) that have quizzes will usually specify something like "Tuesday night - general knowlege quiz. Thursday night - pop quiz". They're not unscheduled, they're about music. 

I'd never heard the 'spontaneous quiz' definition until the last couple of years. A quiz is always something you do for fun (and possibly prizes), not something you do in school - that's a test

American usage is obviously different, but it now seems to have got a foothold in the UK. Hence, TTPYOBS. 

Edited by mjmooney

Â