Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Disgusting. The Americanisation of 'apologise'.

It isn't (necessarily) an 'Americanization'.  ;)

You'd expect someone from Oxford of all places to know that.

I guess I don't have your Harvard education.

From the Oxford English Dictionary

This practice probably began first in French; in modern French the suffix has become -iser, alike in words from Greek, as baptiser, évangéliser, organiser, and those formed after them from Latin, as civiliser, cicatriser, humaniser.

Hence, some have used the spelling -ise in English, as in French, for all these words, and some prefer -ise in words formed in French or English from Latin elements, retaining -ize for those formed < Greek elements.

But the suffix itself, whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Greek -ιζειν, Latin -izāre; and, as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic. In this Dictionary the termination is uniformly written -ize. (In the Greek -ιζ-, the i was short, so originally in Latin, but the double consonant z (= dz, ts) made the syllable long; when the z became a simple consonant, /-idz/ became īz, whence English /-aɪz/.)

"apologize" is of Greek origin; only one allied to Cambridge or the French would spell it "apologise".

• Like 1

It's not worth giving to charity if other people don't know that you do it.

It makes them better people.

I just don't get the water challenge thing.  When one considers the amount of people without fresh clean water in the world then I think its all a bit off IMO.  

I just don't get the water challenge thing.  When one considers the amount of people without fresh clean water in the world then I think its all a bit off IMO.  

Yeah. i think the same thing when I see people watering their flowers.

I think it's pretty small potatoes since we flush our toilets with fresh water. Everyone, every day, multiple times

I think it's pretty small potatoes since we flush our toilets with fresh water. Everyone, every day, multiple times

If it's yellow let it mellow. If it's brown flush it down 

• Like 1

The Ice Bucket Challenge.

Yeah I've got a feeling I'm about to get nominated for it. They can piss off.
This.

Load of **** sheep .

yeah. Raising millions for charity.

Bunch of words removed.

I can and do give to charities. But I'm not following the lemming like throng by throwing a bucket of water over myself. Next thing someone will probably want me to watch Big Brother for charity, or listen to Paedo Jacko records.

**** that.

You donate to charity?

What, like other people do?

Ooohhhh, lemming.

Yeah...baaaaaaaaaaaa.

Strangely enough I do it on my own terms, not when some attention whore tells me I should

but the point is, none (or a fraction) of the money that's been raised would have been raised if it wasn't for everyone doing it in the way they're doing it.

So yeah, if the ice bucket challenge had nothing to do with charity, then I'd be right there with you.

But I don't think, when someone's contributed to something that's raised millions for charity, it's fair to call them a **** sheep, a lemming or an attention whore.

I see your point ... But I'm with Rob on this one

Maybe these water bucket people donate to charity all the time anyway and the nudge has promoted them to give a new charity a go ... I guess only they know that , I'd rather just put money in a bucket at my local Tesco etc than make a video

Only thing that has surprised me is that it's the first bandwagon Ed Milliband hasn't jumped on in years .. Maybe he's allergic to ice !

And how many of the people who do the challenge actually go on to donate to the charity and don't just do it for a bit of attention on Farcebook

Well that's different isn't it.

That would actually be a completely scummy thing to do, imo.

That's like pretending your putting money in a charity collection.

This.

Load of **** sheep .

Bunch of words removed.

I can and do give to charities. But I'm not following the lemming like throng by throwing a bucket of water over myself. Next thing someone will probably want me to watch Big Brother for charity, or listen to Paedo Jacko records.

**** that.

You donate to charity?

Ooohhhh, lemming.

Yeah...baaaaaaaaaaaa.

Strangely enough I do it on my own terms, not when some attention whore tells me I should

but the point is, none (or a fraction) of the money that's been raised would have been raised if it wasn't for everyone doing it in the way they're doing it.

So yeah, if the ice bucket challenge had nothing to do with charity, then I'd be right there with you.

But I don't think, when someone's contributed to something that's raised millions for charity, it's fair to call them a **** sheep, a lemming or an attention whore.

Maybe these water bucket people donate to charity all the time anyway and the nudge has promoted them to give a new charity a go

Do you honestly think that's the case?

I just don't get the water challenge thing. When one considers the amount of people without fresh clean water in the world then I think its all a bit off IMO.

Matt Damon did his challenge with toilet water to highlight that it's actually cleaner that what a vast % of the world actually drink
  • Like 1

And how many of the people who do the challenge actually go on to donate to the charity and don't just do it for a bit of attention on Farcebook

Well that's different isn't it.

That would actually be a completely scummy thing to do, imo.

That's like pretending your putting money in a charity collection.

This.

Load of **** sheep .

Bunch of words removed.

**** that.

You donate to charity?

Ooohhhh, lemming.

Yeah...baaaaaaaaaaaa.

Maybe these water bucket people donate to charity all the time anyway and the nudge has promoted them to give a new charity a go

Do you honestly think that's the case?
I'd like to think so , yes

However i think they just chuck money in a bucket and move on feeling they've done their bit ...

In Woking the other month there was a soldier collecting for help for heroes ... he'd lost a leg in a roadside explosion , people were walking past and giving money without even looking at him .... My son and I stopped and he had a few medals he'd been awarded for bravery and pictures of his recovery and more importantly the rehab

He actually said "thanks for stopping and looking " ... That to me is more important than the coins in the bucket

I hope all the ALS donators have stopped and looked

I think you're deluded, to be quite honest, if you think the £80 million that's been raised so far via the ice bucket challenge would have been donated regardless, just to different charities.

My take on the Ice bucket challenge is that it's another case of typically annoying facebook fuckwittery, but with a positive side effect.

On the one hand, I share Tony's scepticism, the vast majority of people will care far more about the number of likes they'll be getting than the actual cause.

But on the other hand, good intentions or otherwise, a lot of money has been raised for charity, which can only be a good thing.

I think you're deluded, to be quite honest, if you think the £80 million that's been raised so far via the ice bucket challenge would have been donated regardless, just to different charities.

Nice

There is a good website here with charity donation trends

http://data.ncvo.org.uk/a/almanac12/what-are-the-main-trends-in-charitable-giving/

By and large the trend is fairly static

I guess we will have to wait and see if 2014 suddenly spikes and the apology :P

In 2010/11, medical research was the cause supported by the largest proportion of donors, with 38% donating. The next most popular causes were hospitals (supported by 26% of donors) and children and young people (supported by 24% of donors). These have consistently been the most popular causes since the survey began in 2004/05

The interesting thing will be to see if ALS pushes the 38% figure up ... If it doesn't that suggests the money therefore didn't go to other medical research , doesn't it ?

Edited by tonyh29

My take on the Ice bucket challenge is that it's another case of typically annoying facebook fuckwittery, but with a positive side effect.

On the one hand, I share Tony's scepticism, the vast majority of people will care far more about the number of likes they'll be getting than the actual cause.

But on the other hand, good intentions or otherwise, a lot of money has been raised for charity, which can only be a good thing.

Sums it up nicely.

It is annoying, I'm not disagreeing with that.

What I'm disagreeing with is mocking people for doing it when it's raised so much money. So what if they're only doing it because they got nominated to or they think it's funny? That's the **** point of it. Make it funny, or a trend, and making people who wouldn't normally donate, actually want to donate.

If that happens to be a side effect of them wanting to make a funny video then so be it.

Yup, in fairness most instances of charitable donations are made as a result of some form of selfishness.

When little Timmy jumps out of a plane, he's doing it because he wants to go sky-diving and his family feel obliged to donate £20 to charity on his behalf. Yes Timmy is a bit of a prick and everyone can see through his attention seeking, but some good money has been raised for charity, so alls well that ends well.

When a bunch of cum-bucket celebrities float down the Zambezi river to raise money for charity, they're looking for publicity, but again, the overall effect is a positive one.

Now I understand the whole Ice Bucket system I think it's pretty ingenious. As a whole, it's using people's desire for social acceptance/gratification to effectively force them to donate to charity.

Obviously there's not much accountability so some people don't really donate but the numbers don't lie and there's been a shitload donated.

Some of the videos are funny too. The bit that pisses me off (other than the faux-donators) is that some people seem to think they're some altruistic saint for pouring some cold water on themselves. I suppose it's not really the challenge's fault that those people are dicks though.

Now I understand the whole Ice Bucket system I think it's pretty ingenious. As a whole, it's using people's desire for social acceptance/gratification to effectively force them to donate to charity.

Obviously there's not much accountability so some people don't really donate but the numbers don't lie and there's been a shitload donated.

Some of the videos are funny too. The bit that pisses me off (other than the faux-donators) is that some people seem to think they're some altruistic saint for pouring some cold water on themselves. I suppose it's not really the challenge's fault that those people are dicks though.

Just watched Homer Simpson's one :)

trouble is I got nominated yesterday and came to work today and as a lot of the people in the office are FB friends they are now all asking me when I'm doing my video

when i said i wasn't you'd think i'd just shot Bambi the looks I got

• Like 3

Â