Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

Has any one considered the idea that the jigsawless neighbour might be dead and no-one knows yet?

That would be the final piece of the puzzle

edit: damn it, @TheAuthoritybeat me by a mere 18 minutes 

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

As much as I'm loathe to deliver it I also have this concern that if I was to leave it on the doorstep or whatever I'm technically at fault if it gets nicked/damaged/whatever, so it really needs to be given to someone directly.

I'm pretty sure that at present you could be considered to have stolen the package (unless you intend to use this thread to show that you had no intent to permanently deprive the rightful owner of their property).

It's likely that they've not been told where it is, either by omission or error. If you are the only one that can fix this, you are likely to be in the wrong.

Next time, I recommend asking who it's for or just say "no".

58 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I've no idea if they've been told which neighbour has it, but every time this has happened to me they tell you which number has it, so I'd assume so.

As for delivering it, I'm not a postman. I'm not delivering strangers their post. I'll take in someone's post if they're unavailable, but delivering it is a step too far. I'm not their servant, and I'm not being paid to deliver it, I don't owe them a favour and I'm not inclined to do anything for them when they can come get it. I wouldn't expect anyone to bring my parcel to me, if it's my parcel it's my problem.

It's unlikely but not impossible that your neighbour doesn't know which neighbour has the parcel. It's happened to me twice.

You could take the parcel and ask if they knew where it was. If no, give them the parcel. If yes, set fire to it in front of them.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Withnail said:

I am trying to get my head around the idea that stuff gets randomly dropped off at neighbors. Seems odd to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

I still cant fathom this. If one cant deliver goods to the proper person, surely it has to go back to the post-office/delivery-firm first, and then back to the sender as a last resort. Dropping off at some random person??? WTF!

(disclaimer, I do not live in the UK)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I still cant fathom this. If one cant deliver goods to the proper person, surely it has to go back to the post-office/delivery-firm first, and then back to the sender as a last resort. Dropping off at some random person??? WTF!

I’m not aware of it happening for a neighbour some distance down the road, but we often take parcels for next door. Postman/courier will knock on and ask if we’d mind.

It works well if you get on with your neighbours - saves a trip down the delivery office or re-ordering a courier service. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tegis said:

This used to be the norm in the UK until the delivery companies realised that they could save a few quid by using neighbours as free labour and storage.

7 minutes ago, Tegis said:

It used to be the thing 90% of the time but then a few years back they just give it a neighbour, leave it by the door or chuck it over the garden gate.

4 minutes ago, Tegis said:

That is probably the official policy, and it used to happen more frequently. Although at my previous address they had a habit of leaving a note saying basically "We tried, you weren't in, it's gone back to the depot, you'll have to come and get it. In working hours, natch". And at that time, said depot was miles away, on the other side of town". At my current address, they either hide it in an agreed location, or leave it with the next door neighbour. We get on fine with them, so that's great - we do the same for them. And on the rare occasion it has to go back, the new depot is only a short drive away. It's very rare indeed that anything gets left with a more distant neighbour, but if it is, we just take it round. 

Thanks for the replies all, notifications blew up :D I thought of a thing that might not be a UK thing. In Sweden, almost all non to-door-deliveries are handled at convenient stores, small local shops and various other resellers. So it is very easy to pick up a parcel, especially if it is with our version of Royal mail. They are flippin everywhere. There has also been an influx of drop-off boxes that you can have delivered to which you open with an app and a code.

What I'm getting at is, that for us, it's usually more of a hassle to have it delivered to the home rather than a pickup point.

Edited by Tegis
Hitzelsperger
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

I'm not delivering it. I'm not a postman. They want their parcel they can come get it. I'm not walking down the street with their package to give it to them. I wouldn't expect anyone to bring me my parcels in that situation, I had to go do the embarrassing 'sorry I think a parcel was dropped off for me?' thing with the neighbours before now, I'm not someone else's servant.

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Odd that you think it's embarrassing. 

I wouldn't think twice about it. 

I have to walk to a different road regularly to deliver post as I'm in a Crescent and there is a Close off it with the same name. 

We often get stuff meant for the Close. Doesn't bother me in the slightest walking it round. It's not their fault. Mind you he is a nose so I occasionally wipe it down my bum crack before delivery. 

Very very occasionally they get our post but 90% of the time it's us. 

My neighbor is a right miserable word removed. Never talks to us, in fact avoids conversation all the time and if we do catch him he's very surly. Keeps nicking our post and his garden is a **** disgrace. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

As the consensus appears to be I should just deliver the parcel, I just did.

Elderly shut in. House like something out of a horror movie.

And now they can look forward to completing most of a jigsaw.

• Haha 1

A man finally fixed my leaky roof. I have been here a couple of years and it seems that we have had gifted amateaurs trying to fix it, a roofer has been out and diagnosed the problem, given me pictures, shown me before and after. So this is what pissed me off as the other people that looked at it, its bewildering they didnt see the issue. The soil vent, the flashing for it was under the surrounding tiles, so the run off was not over and down the roof, it was seaping under the tiles. The roofer has fitted new flashing that will now run off as opposed to run under. If we had paid for these people to sort it previously then I would be asking for my money back.

Â