Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Me. I really piss myself off when reading books. 

I'm always scanning ahead from where I am. Doubly especially where it's one of those books alternating between different time lines or different characters. 

I just can't help myself and I hate me for it. 

I do make sure not to glance over the final chapter though, that's got to be sacred. 

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Bax to the wall, lads, Ives seen the future, and there'll be puns coming in from all over Britten and Ireland. Quite Franckly, if you can't get a Handel on that, you must be made of Glass, and you're in for a bit of a Haydn, so you should just Bach Orff. I'll Bruch no arguments on this. 

This thread is becoming "Things that piss you Orff that shouldn't.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

In the office yesterday, a guy walked up to the guy who sits next to me (who works for me) and just straight out asked him if he was looking for a new job and would he be interested in working for him.

That's weird right?

Probably trying to do him a favour. 😂

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Me. I really piss myself off when reading books. 

I'm always scanning ahead from where I am. Doubly especially where it's one of those books alternating between different time lines or different characters. 

I just can't help myself and I hate me for it. 

I do make sure not to glance over the final chapter though, that's got to be sacred. 

That was on Would I Lie To You a couple of weeks ago. I think it was Lee Mack, who said (truthfully) that he always peeks at the last page. 

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

What did he say? :D

He said no to be fair. I mean he was sat next to his boss so you'd expect that but he left the team a year ago (not his choice) and after 2 months he was begging to come back so I don't think he'd be keen to leave

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I assume he didn’t realise you were his boss. 

He 100% knows.

I don't mind the conversation to be fair. just maybe give me a heads up first. And don't do it in front of me

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I keep getting: "What will you watch first, 'Barbie' or 'Oppenheimer'? 

I'd have thought a venn diagram for those films' audiences would be two non-overlapping circles. 

Nah I can't wait to see both

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

In the office yesterday, a guy walked up to the guy who sits next to me (who works for me) and just straight out asked him if he was looking for a new job and would he be interested in working for him.

That's weird right?

I worked in logistics. Massive warehouses. The phrase used in this case was always lets just go and have a chat down the back of the racking. Sorted out most problems like this.

29 minutes ago, colhint said:

I worked in logistics. Massive warehouses. The phrase used in this case was always lets just go and have a chat down the back of the racking. Sorted out most problems like this.

How did you dispose of the body?

9 hours ago, colhint said:

Sounds like love island

• Haha 1

Blender.

Blender is a free, and extremely powerful, piece of 3d modelling software. The kind of thing that, if you were skilled enough, you could use to make a CG movie from scratch, or you could just use it to make things that get used elsewhere - assets for games, models to be used in other VFX software. It's very good.

I've been tinkering with Blender for about 3, 4 years now, on and off, trying to learn 3d modelling skills for a hobby, for 3d printing. In that time I've picked up some stuff, but it's got a learning curve like a brick wall, and I find that it's very easy to forget the nuances of all the various bits if you aren't using them constantly, and it's one of those things where the software expects you to know exactly what you're doing, what all the jargon means, what terms are, etc etc. That means that, whenever I take a period away from it, the time I come back begins with hours of just getting used to it again.

Theres another issue though. Blender is quite popular - YouTube is full of tutorials, tips, tricks, time lapse videos. Great! Except... What I'm using Blender to do is not the thing that most YouTubers are using for, the numbers of creators using it to make 3d printable objects is very slim and the ones doing what I am, action figure parts, is nil (and even related fields like cosplay is thin on the ground). So you watch the other videos searching for applicable knowledge to what you're doing and skip the things irrelevant to you. Which is a nightmare. And then you discover that, really, the Blender YouTube community is less giving tutorials and more rattling through how many hot key shortcuts you can remember in as fast a time as possible, which makes following then nightmarish. And then you have the added issue of Blender having many add-ons (paid and free) that tutorials may or may not use, which changes the work flow for what they're 'demonstrating'.

I had today off, and decided to come back from an extended break to try to progress a hobby project that I have, quite honestly, started over dozens of times. That day off got wasted in all the shit above. And that's so demotivating I'm tempted to give up.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Blender.

Blender is a free, and extremely powerful, piece of 3d modelling software. The kind of thing that, if you were skilled enough, you could use to make a CG movie from scratch, or you could just use it to make things that get used elsewhere - assets for games, models to be used in other VFX software. It's very good.

I've been tinkering with Blender for about 3, 4 years now, on and off, trying to learn 3d modelling skills for a hobby, for 3d printing. In that time I've picked up some stuff, but it's got a learning curve like a brick wall, and I find that it's very easy to forget the nuances of all the various bits if you aren't using them constantly, and it's one of those things where the software expects you to know exactly what you're doing, what all the jargon means, what terms are, etc etc. That means that, whenever I take a period away from it, the time I come back begins with hours of just getting used to it again.

Theres another issue though. Blender is quite popular - YouTube is full of tutorials, tips, tricks, time lapse videos. Great! Except... What I'm using Blender to do is not the thing that most YouTubers are using for, the numbers of creators using it to make 3d printable objects is very slim and the ones doing what I am, action figure parts, is nil (and even related fields like cosplay is thin on the ground). So you watch the other videos searching for applicable knowledge to what you're doing and skip the things irrelevant to you. Which is a nightmare. And then you discover that, really, the Blender YouTube community is less giving tutorials and more rattling through how many hot key shortcuts you can remember in as fast a time as possible, which makes following then nightmarish. And then you have the added issue of Blender having many add-ons (paid and free) that tutorials may or may not use, which changes the work flow for what they're 'demonstrating'.

I had today off, and decided to come back from an extended break to try to progress a hobby project that I have, quite honestly, started over dozens of times. That day off got wasted in all the shit above. And that's so demotivating I'm tempted to give up.

Sorry. Gotta do it. 

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Any new piece of tech being labelled as AI by the media. 

It’s a term that’s being bastardised into meaning nothing. 

Is this deepfake Stevo985 or real Stevo985?

No-one knows anymore, thanks to AI.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We're having a work social at Boom Battle Bar which describes it's activities as Augmented Reality. What does this mean because having looked at their website and some videos on YouTube, it just seems like ordinary everyday reality to me. 

Edited by sidcow

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

I've been tinkering with Blender for about 3, 4 years now, on and off, trying to learn 3d modelling skills for a hobby, for 3d printing. In that time I've picked up some stuff, but it's got a learning curve like a brick wall, and I find that it's very easy to forget the nuances of all the various bits if you aren't using them constantly, and it's one of those things where the software expects you to know exactly what you're doing, what all the jargon means, what terms are, etc etc. That means that, whenever I take a period away from it, the time I come back begins with hours of just getting used to it again

You could be describing exactly my experience with Reaper music recording software - free (OK, cheap), massively powerful, loads of plugins, plenty of YT vids, etc. 

Same thing happens - I learn stuff, go away for a while, and when I come back, I've forgotten how I did it. Making written notes as I go is sometimes useful. 

Â