Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

On 15/04/2023 at 18:47, Mark Albrighton said:

Watching it legitimately, my preferred choice is pub for a couple drinks then head home again.

My old VM bundle which they keep discounting every year includes BT sports fortunately. £37 a month including regular TV channels and 350mb BB.

51 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm the most privileged category of word removed imaginable. I'm a white, cis, able-bodied, neuro-typical male in the 21st century. But I've got a disabled daughter. And she's cool, it doesn't usually bother me. She's just Caitlin, not disabled Caitlin.

But tonight, I was at a whiskey tasting with a bunch of white, cis, able-bodied, neuro-typical males, and as it tapered down, one of the regulars started to tell a funny story about some "special needs" kids he knows, and while I'm too angry to recall the details, it was meant to be a funny, endearing story about how these kids are almost human, despite their limitations. I had the choice of laughing, crying, or breaking the word removed's nose on my knee, and on this occasion, I was able to blink back the tears and walk away, but **** hell, were my eyes opened tonight on the discrimination people face even from well-meaning people with their backhanded compliments

That doesn't sound like a backhanded compliment my friend. I would have broken his nose 

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm the most privileged category of word removed imaginable. I'm a white, cis, able-bodied, neuro-typical male in the 21st century. But I've got a disabled daughter. And she's cool, it doesn't usually bother me. She's just Caitlin, not disabled Caitlin.

But tonight, I was at a whiskey tasting with a bunch of white, cis, able-bodied, neuro-typical males, and as it tapered down, one of the regulars started to tell a funny story about some "special needs" kids he knows, and while I'm too angry to recall the details, it was meant to be a funny, endearing story about how these kids are almost human, despite their limitations. I had the choice of laughing, crying, or breaking the word removed's nose on my knee, and on this occasion, I was able to blink back the tears and walk away, but **** hell, were my eyes opened tonight on the discrimination people face even from well-meaning people with their backhanded compliments

Really sorry to hear that. You did the right thing even though it was probably the hardest.

His comments come from ignorance.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm the most privileged category of word removed imaginable. I'm a white, cis, able-bodied, neuro-typical male in the 21st century.

Me too. High 5 !

• Haha 1

Just to give you an indication of the speed this toerag was doing

image.png

He's gone through the crash barrier, the wall, the trees, the garden and ended up in the living room of the house (behind the image is a roundabout). It's almost inconceivable the speed he was doing

• Shocked 3

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

Just to give you an indication of the speed this toerag was doing

image.png

He's gone through the crash barrier, the wall, the trees, the garden and ended up in the living room of the house (behind the image is a roundabout). It's almost inconceivable the speed he was doing

How the hell did they survive it. Hope they get what's coming to them. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Davkaus said:

yet people are too offended by everything these days apparently. people don't think of people on the receiving end of these 'jokes'

fair play for showing restraint mate

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Could you have gone with a fourth option of explaining your situation and educating the bloke who might then never repeat his stupidity, or would he have been riled by you embarrassing him?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, brommy said:

Could you have gone with a fourth option of explaining your situation and educating the bloke who might then never repeat his stupidity, or would he have been riled by you embarrassing him?

Speaking only for myself and not on behalf of Davkaus (and slightly different scenario / circumstances anyway), sometimes I can do that, and sometimes I’m just not prepared and I say nothing and then spend the next period of time chastising myself for not having said something.

It’s a constant assessment of when you need to step up and potentially ‘confront’ something, or when to let it slide, or when you’re just not quick enough and ballsy enough to react correctly. Sometimes, you just bank a mental note that someone can be a prick sometimes.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, brommy said:

I probably could have done, if I wasn't 7 or 8 whiskies in :) 

I'm half annoyed I just walked out without dealing with it, and half proud of myself for at least not making an arse of myself

(I think drunk me was joking about the likelihood of violence, not trying to play internet hard man - besides, the bloke was **** massive)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I probably could have done, if I wasn't 7 or 8 whiskies in :) 

I'm half annoyed I just walked out without dealing with it, and half proud of myself for at least not making an arse of myself

(I think drunk me was joking about the likelihood of violence, not trying to play internet hard man - besides, the bloke was **** massive)

Ah yes, the addition of alcohol to both parties probably ruled out my option.

You definitely did the correct thing, given the circumstances.

my colleague had yesterday off sick, tempted to check to see if he logged it properly but we're both new and i don't need that, he's Kazakhstani and we work in construction and there's a bit of a cultural difference over working hours etc for which my wife gives me daily pelters and to be fair to him i do think fair play we're on a 39 hour contract and he works 39 hours unlike the other 20 people on the team who work around 50 (at least)

"feeling better?"

"yeah i was just tired and couldnt get out of bed"

Surprised GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2

Â