Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

driving on the continent every day its equally impressive and absolutely **** mental how many people will pull in to say a 10m gap between two cars in the fast lane doing 80mph

they will also happily drive so close to the car in front that they cant be able to see their license plate, again at 80mph, the culture here is that if the car in front is going too slow you aggressively drive as close as possible to them

this one might be controversial because someone will argue that's its the right way to do it - they also don't get the concept of joining another lane when there's a lane closure, I drive the road every day so know its coming, 400m ahead it goes from two lanes to one so i'll start to leave a gap for the other driver to pull in....he'll happily get to the last cone of that 400m before he does it but that's how they all do it, they don't slowly start to move over over the course of the kilometers worth of traffic, they all get to the very end before pulling over, its not queue jumping which i do get as being something that isn't as bad as its made out to be, both lanes are standstill - to me that causes a bottleneck

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yesterday I was turning right at a roundabout and there was a van to my left going all the way around the roundabout in the outside lane. 

I presume you mean inside lane even though its on the outside of the roundabout :D 

FWIW the are some roundabouts where that is perfectly legal, they did it to a roundabout at the exit of Formby where I used to live

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

driving on the continent every day its equally impressive and absolutely **** mental how many people will pull in to say a 10m gap between two cars in the fast lane doing 80mph

they will also happily drive so close to the car in front that they cant be able to see their license plate, again at 80mph, the culture here is that if the car in front is going too slow you aggressively drive as close as possible to them

yeah this .. When I drive in Hungary I'm stunned that there aren't dead bodies strewn across the motorway ....   flowing but "slow " moving traffic doing 130 km/h across 3 lanes , you leave a gap of more than a car length  then the car behind will weave inside the car in lane 2 and then veer back in front of you so they've gained 1 place  and will get to their destination .004 seconds quicker 

mind you Hungarian blokes do thrive on a bit of testosterone  , the only surprise really is that they don't have a dead moose strapped to the bonnet of the car 

Edited by tonyh29

When I was working in Malta, i was looking for a building in a town called Qormi and for the life of me I couldn’t find it.

Eventually I admitted defeat, pulled over and asked for directions. The bloke’s first response was ‘are you local?’

I asked why that would make a difference, and he said the easiest route was the wrong way up a couple of one way streets, but if I wasn’t local I wouldn’t be able to do it. I told him yes, I was indeed local.

His directions were excellent, and I used that route every time I went there.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Coming back to the hills reminded me of the classic tale of 2 old farmers chatting about someone and one of them asking the other

"Is he a local boy?"

"No he's not, I remember when his grandparents moved here"

:D

Oh, that's so true about rural areas. My late mother-in-law was born in Newcastle, but moved to a Devon village in 1945. In the 2000s, the locals were still calling her an incomer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Since when has Bradford Park Avenue been called Bradford (Park Avenue)....? FFS......

It was actually called Bradford Football Club when founded, the (Park Avenue) is to distinguish it from Bradford City in fixture lists and was added to the name later. The brackets have technically been there ever since they changed their name back in the mists of time

If my wife gets post when she's out, I'll display it nicely by the letter holder thing by the front door so she can't miss it and I'll try to remember to tell her.

I'll find letters addressed to me from months ago shoved in a random drawer or amongst a pile of junk ready for the bin.

But then again she does cook and clean and sorts the bills and basically keeps the kids alive and the household running, so I can't moan too much.

On 28/04/2023 at 16:13, Paddywhack said:

If my wife gets post when she's out, I'll display it nicely by the letter holder thing by the front door so she can't miss it and I'll try to remember to tell her.

I'll find letters addressed to me from months ago shoved in a random drawer or amongst a pile of junk ready for the bin.

But then again she does cook and clean and sorts the bills and basically keeps the kids alive and the household running, so I can't moan too much.

I used to open my wife’s. Said used to up until about a month ago when she had me about it. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You know that one house in the street where all the kids go into and play ? Well that’s our house . 

We're starting to get that with the grandchildren. Sometimes all three of them are here, and the two kids from next door come round to play with them. Mayhem. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

We're starting to get that with the grandchildren. Sometimes all three of them are here, and the two kids from next door come round to play with them. Mayhem. 

It is absolute mayhem. Total disregard at that age, too.  Winds me bloody up but oh well .

Why does every DIY job always take longer and use more tools than originally expected? 

Just replacing a bathroom lock with (seemingly) like for like. Just a screwdriver, whip off the old one and put on the new one, the work of a few minutes? 

Oh, the screw holes are in slightly different places, need to get out the drill to create new pilot holes for the screw. 

Oh, the privacy latch spindle is too long so need to get out a clamp and hacksaw. 

Half an our later instead of 5 minutes I'm packing away drills, clamps, hacksaw, screwdrivers, folding table, old lock and screws. 

**** off DIY 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yeah not a fan of DIY at all . I’m crap at it for starters, but anything slightly out of my capabilities which is most stuff I’d rather pay someone. 

We've got cheap shit locks on all the doors. 

Eventually the plan is to have all. The doors replaced and new quality door furniture.  I'll 100% pay for that. 

These type of locks are really hard to replace though,had a hell of a time trying to find a replacement. Mrs Sidcow couldn't understand why we didn't understand why it was so difficult for me to fit the kind of locks that we could get which would involve me chiseling out a mortice in the door and door jam. **** that, I know it would be a total disaster. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We've got cheap shit locks on all the doors. 

Eventually the plan is to have all. The doors replaced and new quality door furniture.  I'll 100% pay for that. 

These type of locks are really hard to replace though,had a hell of a time trying to find a replacement. Mrs Sidcow couldn't understand why we didn't understand why it was so difficult for me to fit the kind of locks that we could get which would involve me chiseling out a mortice in the door and door jam. **** that, I know it would be a total disaster. 

Anything involving a chisel is a red flag . I own very few tools and long May it be like that. Throw that chisel away , it will make you feel a lot better and less stressful .

• Like 1

Â