Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Car has decided to shit itself today. Running like a dream last time, now its shakes like a shitting dog when idling, judders at low speeds and the EML flashes. Booked in for a diagnostic on Tuesday. 

Hoping it is something minor like ignition coils or spark plugs. 

:( 

If it's the ignition coils, prepare to fill out an application for a second mortgage.   We had an Audi we got rid of a dozen years ago after repeatedly having to replace ignition coils for a small fortune.  And the "smart" car protected itself by making it impossible to drive more than 15 mph when one failed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Car has decided to shit itself today. Running like a dream last time, now its shakes like a shitting dog when idling, judders at low speeds and the EML flashes. Booked in for a diagnostic on Tuesday. 

We had a coil pack go on an old French car some years ago. AA came out, confirmed it was coil pack by fitting the part he had in the van. He could leave it on for about £100. 

I checked Euro Car Parts and they had on for about £30, told him to take it off as I was gonna fit my own. Probably the cheapest and easiest repair i’ve ever done on a car.

Do you have a code reader? Worth the investment of about £20 from Amazon. Plug it in, get the codes and google them. Usually takes you to a forum where you’ll find out what the problem is.

• Like 1

People who keep pissing in my chewing gum bins.  I wouldn't mind but there's an actual frigging toilet right next to them as well. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

French air traffic control strikes meaning my flight home from Barcelona (meant to be today) has been cancelled. Spend all of yesterday afternoon sorting alternative flights, best we could get is Girona to Bristol, leaving at 11pm tomorrow. The car is at Birmingham and the first train there is at 5am Sunday morning. Ryanair (I know), will reimburse the hundreds of pounds extra it will cost for taxis, food, hotel, train and maybe car parking, but at their own leisure some weeks down the line. The upside is we’ve now got an extra night in an airport hotel, but it’s ruined our plans for the last day in Barcelona. 

There’s an estimated 80k people with cancelled flights today due to these French ATC strikes. And if that wasn’t bad enough, imagine you were one of the many people who are having their flight to/from Heathrow cancelled so that the London skies may fall silent as a mark of respect for the Queen. 

We’ve got a ‘Game’s Gone’ thread, I fear we will need a ‘Countrie’s Gone’ thread soon.

6 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

French air traffic control strikes meaning my flight home from Barcelona (meant to be today) has been cancelled. Spend all of yesterday afternoon sorting alternative flights, best we could get is Girona to Bristol, leaving at 11pm tomorrow. The car is at Birmingham and the first train there is at 5am Sunday morning. Ryanair (I know), will reimburse the hundreds of pounds extra it will cost for taxis, food, hotel, train and maybe car parking, but at their own leisure some weeks down the line. The upside is we’ve now got an extra night in an airport hotel, but it’s ruined our plans for the last day in Barcelona. 

There’s an estimated 80k people with cancelled flights today due to these French ATC strikes. And if that wasn’t bad enough, imagine you were one of the many people who are having their flight to/from Heathrow cancelled so that the London skies may fall silent as a mark of respect for the Queen. 

We’ve got a ‘Game’s Gone’ thread, I fear we will need a ‘Countrie’s Gone’ thread soon.

Are you certain the airline will reimburse you for this?

I saw on facebook someone who was sat on a plane for 4 hours before it was cancelled. They flew out 24 hours later. They submitted the compensation claim and it was rejected as it was extraordinary circumstances not covered by the compensation scheme.

26 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Ryanair (I know), will reimburse the hundreds of pounds extra it will cost for taxis, food, hotel, train and maybe car parking

I doubt they will pay for all that. 

They’ll pay you for the new flight.They might pay you for a train as it’s going to a different airport. 

My guess is they’ll reject the rest of the claim. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

Are you certain the airline will reimburse you for this?

I saw on facebook someone who was sat on a plane for 4 hours before it was cancelled. They flew out 24 hours later. They submitted the compensation claim and it was rejected as it was extraordinary circumstances not covered by the compensation scheme.

Yeah that's my understanding too, strikes and industrial action is excluded from the European compensation thing where you get the 250€

Also when I had a Ryanair flight cancelled at Stansted I got the 250€ compo but they wouldnt reimburse me for jumping in the car racing to brum airport (getting a speeding ticket) parking at the front door cos I was late, flying out from brum and then having to get a train in Germany, I just got the 250€

Cant even remember if they gave me the £30 original booking cost back, think it was all just wrapped up in the compensation number 

Edited by villa4europe

14 hours ago, Xela said:

14 hours ago, il_serpente said:

If it's the ignition coils, prepare to fill out an application for a second mortgage.   We had an Audi we got rid of a dozen years ago after repeatedly having to replace ignition coils for a small fortune.  And the "smart" car protected itself by making it impossible to drive more than 15 mph when one failed.

I had a set of coils replaced on a 2003 Boxster last year that had the same juddering fault. It did cost a small fortune.

• Sad 1

I spoke to a Ryanair customer service rep yesterday and she said that we can claim for hotel and travel, even food because they were unable to provide us with a flight home on the same day. It’s under the EU261 compensation scheme, Ryanair have their head office within the EU so it counts. The first flight back was over 24 hours later, and the next flight to and from the same airports was Tuesday next week.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

People who keep pissing in my chewing gum bins.  I wouldn't mind but there's an actual frigging toilet right next to them as well. 

I have a number of questions

1) what is a chewing gum bin?

2) are you a toilet attendant?

3) which shed is this in?

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I spoke to a Ryanair customer service rep yesterday and she said that we can claim for hotel and travel, even food because they were unable to provide us with a flight home on the same day. It’s under the EU261 compensation scheme, Ryanair have their head office within the EU so it counts. The first flight back was over 24 hours later, and the next flight to and from the same airports was Tuesday next week.

The head office location isn't relevant as EU261 was adopted into UK law as UK261   .. you're covered under both  in most instances , its only when third countries are involved (I.e non EU) and you are flying a UK airline that you'd use UK261 rather than Eu261 

(its probably more long winded than that , but close enough) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Why do so many people spit their chewing gum in the urinal?

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I have a number of questions

1) what is a chewing gum bin?

2) are you a toilet attendant?

3) which shed is this in?

Thought you would have picked up on this Bicks. 

• Like 2

Every Friday, it seems, I end up having to try to work out someone else's maths. And every time, I do this little mental dance back and forth over whether I'm being an idiot, or who sent it is. Inevitably I end up replying asking them to show their working, in a few more words, which makes me look like a bellend. And I've got it wrong a couple of times which makes me look like a bellend and a moron. But usually I'm right and they've concocted some weird way of working that gets a different figure. Or added in amounts that don't relate to anything I need to know about.

This is one of the more irritating things in my life these days.

On 13/09/2022 at 14:09, MakemineVanilla said:

I am not sure there has been a reliable source when it comes to judging the quality of a film since Leslie Halliwell died.

Rotten Tomatoes has become as dodgy as hell and even Kermode has recommended some clunkers.

He is entertaining and a good egg but he would endorse any pro politically correct film even if it is total crud. But as he says it is just his opinion.

• Like 1

Â