Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Anyone who says O instead of 0 is an uneducated simpleton. It's a **** letter. You may as well say L instead of 1.

Right, because using a simple monosyllabic word "oh" rather than a two-syllable "zer-oh" makes you an uneducated simpleton. Maybe oh is just an abbreviation of zero?

Anyone who says O instead of 0 is an uneducated simpleton. It's a **** letter. You may as well say L instead of 1.

0121 sounds natural as 'oh one two one'... 'zero one two one' just sounds retarded, and American, which makes it more retarded.

0121 sounds natural as 'oh one two one'... 'zero one two one' just sounds retarded, and American, which makes it more retarded.

And yet, it's basically universal in America to use 'oh' for 'zero', especially in telephone numbers:

5088675309 => "five-oh-eight eight-six-seven five-three oh-nine" (combining two or three digit blocks into a single number pretty much only occurs for business marketing purposes... e.g one-eight-hundred fifty-four giant, which I suspect the other New England VTers will recognize)

NANP, of course, is the cause for the 3-3-4 breakdown of phone numbers given above: a three digit area code (often enclosed in parentheses) plus a seven digit phone number, of which the first three digits represents the exchange.

And yet, it's basically universal in America to use 'oh' for 'zero', especially in telephone numbers:

5088675309 => "five-oh-eight eight-six-seven five-three oh-nine" (combining two or three digit blocks into a single number pretty much only occurs for business marketing purposes... e.g one-eight-hundred fifty-four giant, which I suspect the other New England VTers will recognize)

NANP, of course, is the cause for the 3-3-4 breakdown of phone numbers given above: a three digit area code (often enclosed in parentheses) plus a seven digit phone number, of which the first three digits represents the exchange.

Dammit man, we all know Hawaii Zero Zero Zero Zero Zero. Give us some credit!

* actually I know it was 'Five O', but am not really sure why, so it's all a big guess.

* actually I know it was 'Five O', but am not really sure why

I always thought the "Five O" referred to Hawaii being the 50th state. Just something I assumed which could easily be wrong.

* actually I know it was 'Five O', but am not really sure why

I always thought the "Five O" referred to Hawaii being the 50th state. Just something I assumed which could easily be wrong.

Yes, I'm am also sure it's essentially Hawaii "50", in reference to the 50th state.

Police sirens in music when you're driving in the car.

I'm often fooled into looking about for the cop car ....

Amen! Been fooled by that one so many times!

Sorry, I mean fooled by that L so many times!

Police sirens in music when you're driving in the car.

I'm often fooled into looking about for the cop car ....

Amen! Been fooled by that one so many times!

Sorry, I mean fooled by that L so many times!

Been fooled by this one many a time.

The other trick is to sit in the back of someone's car and flash one of those little blue key chain lights at their inside mirror.

Being told by a mechanic that my engine problem (spark plugs getting filled with water) should cost 70/80 quid to fix, inc VAT

then him calling me back saying 'pick it up when you're ready, it'll be £150.80'

and me barely being able to afford it.. :cry:

Our recycling bin got knocked over last night at around 3, glass bottles all over the street. Even worse is that after cleaning it all up the bin didn't even get collected this morning. :angry:

Â