Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

So there's a few people on my facebook feed that posts images now and then, and the images are of the HDR-type, highly saturated, extremely contrasty, so sharp that the image has more chromatic aberrations then details, sometimes with lessened clarity in parts (to add mystique or whatever), and in general they look pretty much as far from realistic that you can possibly get without adding unicorns and stuff.

The images are also very often not interesting or good at all, and it's pretty clear that these people would not be able to take a good photograph in a regular setting with limited editing and that each photo needs a lots of work just to appear interesting. 

And that's fine... I've been through that phase when I got my first digital camera like 8 years ago. It's part of exploring different styles, learning techniques and finding out what you like, and after a while, when your eyes are bleeding from the sharpness and clipped out brightness, you make your way back to a more classical look, but in the process you've learned some things.

What pissed me off is that people eat that shit up... They absolutely love the images. It's like they have never seen any thing like it (OMG it's so beatiful!!!) when there's millions upon millions of them everywhere, and it's been like that for many years. And it's not an expression of creativity, it's an expression of something like I don't know what I'm doing so I'm using a technqiue that I found youtube that had 1 million views.

• Like 1

I know what you meant - that was the best I could do with what I had on my phone.

There's one person on my twitter feed, used to post perfectly good shots most days of the weather off the coast. A bit of tree line, a sea horizon and clouds. Straight photo, lovely.

For some reason she's now spicing it up with every **** trick her new **** software allows AND putting little **** clangers or moomin figures in the shot.

She's one moomin looking at a plate of toast from being unfollowed. Sorry mum, but that's how it is.

Every month we have a newsletter for our department at work.

There's a "meet the team" section where each month a member of the department answers a standard set of questions.

One of the questions is "What is your party trick?". Everybody, except for one guy, has answered that they don't have a party trick.

Boring **** bastards. Make something up at least!
And the guy who did answer said "Not really a trick, but I like to think I have lots of great anecdotes"

Spoiler

He doesn't.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There's a "meet the team" section where each month a member of the department answers a standard set of questions.

One of the questions is "What is your party trick?". Everybody, except for one guy, has answered that they don't have a party trick.

And the guy who did answer said "Not really a trick, but I like to think I have lots of great anecdotes"

Hide contents

He doesn't.

Interesting question..

My party trick is to just stand or sit in an appropriate location within a party environment, talking to people I know and steadfastly ignoring people I don't know and drinking until I'm at a level of drunkness which won't turn into something painful the day after.

Edited by lapal_fan

My trick is to be completely normal on the outside, but on the inside be experiencing increasing amounts of boredom and frustration until I suddenly snap and leave without telling anyone. The walk home is usually my favourite bit of any party. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Hide contents

He doesn't.

So he has basically answered that 'talking' is his party trick.  Well bra-f**king-vo.

Has anyone ever driven on the M42 without the traffic management / variable speed limits being on?

Talk about an abuse of power, if it's not do 40mph because there's been an incident 120m away from where you're going it's just on for the sake of it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Byron Burger have some excellent burgers but then you're basically paying >= £10 for a burger, which really defeats the purpose IMO.

They're planning on opening their first restaurant in Birmingham later this year.

Still on the subject of burgers, the Original Patty Men have their own place in Brum. Was voted best street food burger in the country

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Has anyone ever driven on the M42 without the traffic management / variable speed limits being on?

Talk about an abuse of power, if it's not do 40mph because there's been an incident 120m away from where you're going it's just on for the sake of it

I think I have, had to work in Leicester one weekend. Didn't realise about all the cameras until I was on the way home the 2nd night. I'd got home in 40 minutes on the first night so I had a few weeks of waiting uncomfortably.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Reveal hidden contents

When it's your turn please answer "Ping pong balls. Pint glass. You can guess the rest."

• Like 1

Â