Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Some James May car show on BBC2 right now, probably a repeat but I've not seen it before.  There is a section where he's (surprise surprise) having a race between a car and a boat through Birmingham.  The boat is going down the canals, the car on the roads, they are racing to the boozer round the back of the SeaLife centre where Bill Clinton famously had a pint.

May was in the boat, some other guy was in the car and complaining about Birmingham traffic. The camera inside the car showed him driving through suburbia, looked like Hall Green or somewhere. The external shots were of Smallbrook Queensway at rush hour. 

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

Some James May car show on BBC2 right now, probably a repeat but I've not seen it before.  There is a section where he's (surprise surprise) having a race between a car and a boat through Birmingham.  The boat is going down the canals, the car on the roads, they are racing to the boozer round the back of the SeaLife centre where Bill Clinton famously had a pint.

May was in the boat, some other guy was in the car and complaining about Birmingham traffic. The camera inside the car showed him driving through suburbia, looked like Hall Green or somewhere. The external shots were of Smallbrook Queensway at rush hour. 

You have to laugh at the idea of 'a race through Birmingham', a city whose main central district can be traversed on foot in 15-20 minutes, maybe 25 minutes if you ambled. 

Used to have Scottish Power as my energy provider and paid a set rate of £88 a month which then went up to £110. I thought **** that so did away with them through uSwitch last September.

After a letter asking us to come back we have since received a bill saying they have re estimated our charges from December 2014-September 2015. They've asked us to pay £150.

Wtf? Surely, surely I can just tell them to bugger off?

With a set rate you might have been underpaying, but generally the energy companies are massive crooks so argue it all the way.

Check what they have put on the bill as meter readings, and then get a reading from your meter. 

Did you have a new meter installed when you switched? if so there will be a tag saying the final reading on the old meter, if not your new supplier probably has a reading from the start of your supply.

You will most likely find they have over estimated your usage and have no grounds to levy any extra charges, call them and give them your readings and mention OFGEM. 

Sorry for quoting people unnecessarily! 

Lying in hospital having been admitted last night with a suspected deep vein thrombosis.

I want to smack the bloke in the head who is in the bed opposite!!! :angry:

Had to listen to the moaning idiot as he was in the next cubicle to me when in emergency assessment unit. Basically from what ive overheard, he has been in all day sunday, had his breakfast dinner and tea here, doctors have told him, after having a load of tests, that there is nothing wrong with him. He can go home, but he says he cant because he feels unwell. On top of this, he has continually been rude, & aggressive, demanded copius amounts of tea, diazapam, painkillers...u name it.

Now because of the chronic shortage of beds they have had to open a little ward to accommodate me, 2 other blokes and this prize bellend!

So im now lying here, wide awake, with a calf that feels like its going to explode, listening to my 'mate' snore, fart, and be generally obnoxious.

I don't know how long i can bite my tongue!! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Used to have Scottish Power as my energy provider and paid a set rate of £88 a month which then went up to £110. I thought **** that so did away with them through uSwitch last September.

After a letter asking us to come back we have since received a bill saying they have re estimated our charges from December 2014-September 2015. They've asked us to pay £150.

He who makes a claim has the burden of proof, ask for the proof that you owe this amount, just sending letters saying you owe money isn't proof. you need a proper bill with your usage, how can they base a demand for money on a re-estimate of usage, surely such a demand should be based on actual usage. just out of curiosity who did you switch to, i've been with OVO since moving house, and i'm actually impressed for once with an energy supplier.

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

That the Superbowl champions are referred to as World Champions.

I like American Football, and I realise that being champions of America means you basically are world champions. 

But still. Seems unfair for them to be world champions when nobody from any other country can even enter.

He who makes a claim has the burden of proof, ask for the proof that you owe this amount, just sending letters saying you owe money isn't proof. you need a proper bill with your usage, how can they base a demand for money on a re-estimate of usage, surely such a demand should be based on actual usage. just out of curiosity who did you switch to, i've been with OVO since moving house, and i'm actually impressed for once with an energy supplier.

I'm going to just start writing letters saying people owe me money.

Switched to Sainsbury's Energy. Much better value.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That the Superbowl champions are referred to as World Champions.

I like American Football, and I realise that being champions of America means you basically are world champions. 

But still. Seems unfair for them to be world champions when nobody from any other country can even enter.

What do you expect, it's America, they think the world revolves around them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

When you switched, there should have been a final meter reading. Up to that meter reading value, SP were the provider and you are liable to pay them for the actual energy used (not an estimate). As advised by MBF and V01 SP need to tell you the actual cost of the energy used and then it can be seen of they owe you , or you owe them. A change of £150 is a big shift - assuming you paid monthly  - it might be explained by SP's bills to you being based on estimated meter readings going back a fair while, but otherwise looks odd.

So the key thing - get them to give you a statement pertaining to your final meter reading(s), and make sure that new supplier is also going off that reading as their starting reading.

Obviously this post is made up internet nonsense:

When we had a new British Gas meter fitted it was set to zero, nobody took the old reading. Soon after, they came and read the meter and then shortly afterwards credited our bank account with just over a grand rebate as we'd clearly been overpaying for some time.

Tentative discussions with neighbours soon suggested the same had happened at number 52, 54, 56, 58.....

We kept that money for 12 months expecting them to eventually realise their error.

People who are always off sick from work with colds/headaches/stomach aches. None of which is a valid reason to be off IMO. Some people seem to think having a fortnight off ill every year is extra holiday!

Its usually the same people who then complain they get overlooked for promotion or bigger bonuses. No shit! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

People who are always off sick from work with colds/headaches/stomach aches. None of which is a valid reason to be off IMO. Some people seem to think having a fortnight off ill every year is extra holiday!

Its usually the same people who then complain they get overlooked for promotion or bigger bonuses. No shit! 

The flip side of that is when people with ridiculously bad colds come into work and infect everyone else.

It's a no-win situation for most workplaces.

I work for myself so if i'm ever too bad with a cold etc i'll just work from home instead of on site and save some other poor **** getting it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

It must be that sick leave versus review and bonus time of year, I had that exact same thought this morning.

I had two texts this morning before I left the house from two people that couldn't make it in to work today, and I knew when the phone pinged who it would be. Weird coincidence, but the two people that needed to stay home and fix their houses because of the wind are the same two that stayed up all night watching Super Bowl. Funny thing is, when they actually have a real cold and not some bizarre 24 hour ebola flu, they will come in to show it to people.

When we have a review in a couple of weeks they'll want to know why they get overlooked for the funky jobs and why they are bottom of the bonus pile. Doubtless then within a few days they'll have taken the attitude '**** it' and will phone in with yet another dead cat / flu / cancelled train story.

I don't mind people not making work priority number 1, that's a choice. But don't get all uppity when work doesn't make you number 1.

• Like 3

I've been sat next to a sniffer all day long. He keeps protesting that he feels fine and his cold is over but the constant noise is driving me crackers. I even offered him a pack of tissues and he declined saying he was fine. Two seconds later he is sniffing again.

20 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

The flip side of that is when people with ridiculously bad colds come into work and infect everyone else.

It's a no-win situation for most workplaces.

I work for myself so if i'm ever too bad with a cold etc i'll just work from home instead of on site and save some other poor **** getting it.

I think if its a genuine heavy cold then that's fine, but having a runny nose or a headache or 'feeling tired' isn't!

People at my place are regulary off with headaches and tiredness, which is fine if you don't want to progess but then don't moan if you don't get a payrise! If I wake with a headache I take two paracetamol and get on with it! Other people class it as a 'migraine' and have the day off, but usually they're active on facebook or twitter within an hour or two

Â