Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Really, sorry to hear that. Gypsy's, Roma, Irish Travellers are above the law. Nobody does anything to stop them because its racist. The big problem is their culture of avoiding education at all costs, including parents taking their bright, intelligent kids out of school so they can enter a life of poverty and crime. If their kids were taken off them and given a proper chance in life the circle would end. 

It's blatantly racist to suggest all travellers are criminals. You wouldn't suggest all black people are criminal. 

• Like 2

On 15/03/2024 at 19:03, Xela said:

Fascinating insight into working class Northern Britain in the early 70s

1 minute ago, imavillan said:

just watched that. A great bit of social history and how things have changed in a relatively short space of time.

lol....trawling back and see @Xela had posted it.

Enjoyed watching that.

On 17/03/2024 at 20:06, sheepyvillian said:

It's blatantly racist to suggest all travellers are criminals. You wouldn't suggest all black people are criminal.

It crops up on here from time to time. It's seemingly one of the last socially acceptable forms of bigotry. I don't get why people are so allied to absolutist statements.

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

lol....trawling back and see @Xela had posted it.

Enjoyed watching that.

Its funny how old YT videos seem to get recommended to people at the same time!

Fascinating watch though - how tough life was then. There's me moaning about my relatively well paid office job! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

It crops up on here from time to time. It's seemingly one of the last socially acceptable forms of bigotry. I don't get why people are so allied to absolutist statements.

Agreed. Its a shame the 95% ruin it for the law abiding 5% 

;)

Joke...

3 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

It's sad that it was just dismissed by other posters as if it was nothing out of the ordinary, so I guess, sadly, that you make a valid point. 

It really is unacceptable to have to read that kind of racist rhetoric, and if it was down to me, they would be banned indefinitely!

Always been a massive fan of Pilger's work

An awful lot of his documentaries are available to watch free of charge at his website alongside old interviews, appearances at the Hay Festival and so on.

https://johnpilger.com/videos

Love him or loathe him, I'd argue we were lucky to have him and his body of work is one hell of a legacy to leave.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

and yet all Tories are scum 

go figure 

On 18/03/2024 at 21:16, sheepyvillian said:

As much as I love Michael Portillo's train journeys, it really is difficult not to be overwhelmed by his awful dress sense. 

Never realised the popularity of train journeys  .. Chris Tarrant used to do a show  and now Nick Knowles has got one on Channel 5  ..and I'm sure Robson Green or someone like him also had one ? 

Portillos is the better show of all of them though 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

and yet all Tories are scum 

go figure 

Hopefully, that's an addition to the list of seemingly socially acceptable forms of bigotry and not a suggestion I'd personally say or post such a thing. :thumb:

30 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Hopefully, that's an addition to the list of seemingly socially acceptable forms of bigotry and not a suggestion I'd personally say or post such a thing. :thumb:

it was a general comment about what is and isn't deemed to be bigotry , apologies if it looked like it was aimed at you  , definitely not the case 

I just quoted you as you mentioned VT and it sorta made me chuckle that bigotry and intolerance isn't tolerated here , unless its aimed at people that vote or are Tory   :) 

Edited by tonyh29

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

it was a general comment about what is and isn't deemed to be bigotry , apologies if it looked like it was aimed at you  , definitely not the case 

I just quoted you as you mentioned VT and it sorta made me chuckle that bigotry and intolerance isn't tolerated here , unless its aimed at people that vote or are Tory   :)

There's one group identity who I am all tribal about and though I know it to be a false assertion I will continue to assert it. But, between us, I have met the local bluenose and know his mother and his sister are 2 different people really.

But outside of that, I detest group identities. And I really dislike hypocrisy. Be the change you want to see and all that. we're way off topic of course but outside of football I just don't get how tribalism has more of an impact than factual reality. The idea of people having a political 'team' regardless of policy has always been nonsensical to my mind.

"I'm not Labour, I'm not Liberal,

I'm a free thinking individual so

I wont vote Tory and I hate the BNP.

I vote we have a smoke and a nice cup of tea"

- Regime

Not so much you have to watch this, but it kinda tenuously brings it back on topic maybe

Good band though.

It's not often that I sit down to watch anything that's over 5 minutes long in it's entirety these days, as my brain gives me the itch to look at my phone for no purposeful reason. But this new video on missing flight MH370 is fascinating.

It's just under an hour long but it's gripping throughout. And it's interesting to see that new emerging technology can help uncover some of the mysteries. 

Flight MH370

On 23/03/2024 at 13:00, TreeVillan said:

It's not often that I sit down to watch anything that's over 5 minutes long in it's entirety these days, as my brain gives me the itch to look at my phone for no purposeful reason. But this new video on missing flight MH370 is fascinating.

It's just under an hour long but it's gripping throughout. And it's interesting to see that new emerging technology can help uncover some of the mysteries. 

Flight MH370

It's remarkable that it's now 10 years since the incident happened....where the Chris has that gone? (see what i did there?)

I guess until the wreckage is found (if ever) we'll never really know what went on.

took me a couple of hours to watch it, as i to suffer from can't stop looking at the phone even though i don't need to and i've had no messages in that time syndrome.....modern phenomenon crap....hate it but can't help it.

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 1

Â