Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

I flat out refuse to watch Blackfish. I'll watch any horror/gore film you can throw at me but I just can't handle anything like that. 

Yeah, anything that shows the torture or slaughter of mammals really disturbs me. I skipped "The Cove" for this reason. Although I actually recently watched Blackfish on Netflix, and there was really only one disturbing scene.

I remember when YouTube was a new thing, I saw someone's video...these Alabama rednecks had bought a black panther, and declawed the thing. They had it caged up in their van, and they brought it into an actual clearing in the woods. They released the declawed cat, and set a pack of bloodhounds on it. The video cut out when it was clear that either the dogs were going to tear the thing to pieces, or the rednecks were going to shoot it.

I had a homicidal rage for days after that. I wanted to find those guys, take their guns away, and give them the same treatment they gave that beautiful panther. Still makes me mad.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I watched Blackfish not so long ago too, and whilst I'm disgusted by what they do there and will never be visiting another Seaworld park again; I do believe that both sides of the story have to be heard to get the full picture. Seaworld have this page on their website explaining some things about Blackfish. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that Blackfish is bad in any way as it has brought alot of attention to the cruelty going on in the Seaworld parks, but there is a clear agenda for the documentary and it appears there has been some mistruths told to make things sound worse.

I'll never believe 100% of anything I don't see with my own eyes at the time but I think the most telling thing about that doc is the amount of former Seaworld trainers on hand to talk it down.

From what I remember that's one of the things that Seaworld have scrutinised, basically saying that the trainers in the documentary didn't have as much contact with the whales as the producers of Blackfish would have you believe.

The most damning element of their operation is that they have to go out and capture the whales to keep up their inventory. It's not like they're rehabbing lost calves or old whales who got clipped by a cargo ship's propeller. The business model is totally unethical.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy as Larry today! I've been looking for this documentary for years, and never thought I'd find it! The BBC did a three part history of Reggae, that was on over 10 years ago, and I stumbled across it on You Tube today. That the next 3 hours sorted for me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

fecacc60c8e410216b88b829fc26f077.jpg

Watched this recently, incredibly inspirational.

Made me feel a bit daft feeling sorry for myself following my cycling accident.

Just came into the thread to mention this.  Kevin Pearce gave a talk at our company leadership conference at the end of last year.  An incredible guy, and an incredible story.

• Like 1

noticed on the bbc that Shoah is lpaying this week - obviously with Holocaust Memorial Day tomorrow. If that goes up on iplayer it will be worth watching. About 9 hours in total ish across three parts mind. 

I have been watching this Walking The Nile and its been one of the most enjoyable things I have watched in sometime. It was the last episode last night.

I recorded these and watched the first one last night. Was quite shocked by what happened to that guy who joined them (no idea how to do the spoiler thing so I won't go into detail).

I have been watching this Walking The Nile and its been one of the most enjoyable things I have watched in sometime. It was the last episode last night.

I recorded these and watched the first one last night. Was quite shocked by what happened to that guy who joined them (no idea how to do the spoiler thing so I won't go into detail).

I was pretty shocked in the way it was dealt with.

my2sdBX.jpg?1

loved it from start to finish

I loves this one to, Brought up in extreme poverty and then on to become one of the best boxer's ever.

Watching this i also feel so lucky to have been born in sweden, we are quite spolied here in the west considering what many other people in the world have to go through.

Edited by Ikantcpell

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just watched Bitter Lake on iPlayer.

Potted history of the rise of Wahhabism, the history of Afghanistan and the inability of the west to understand the war there. Also touches on the surrender of power to the banking industry, the rise of Saudi Arabia and the process of governments simplifying arguments into good vs evil leading to the rise of the Islamic caliphate.

Much of it is very broad brush stuff, given the complexities of the subjects involved but it's recommended viewing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02gyz6b/adam-curtis-bitter-lake

Oops, just saw Useless already posted about this further up the page.

Edited by choffer
  • Like 4

Â