Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

Blackfish. About Orcas at Seaworld.

**** Seaworld.

I refuse to see it, cuz I know I'll become enraged. Like "The Cove". I refuse to see that one too. Even zoos I view with a great deal of skepticism. At some point, they have to make money off customers, and that's when it all becomes very dodgy, IMO. 

• 2 months later...

Storyville: Hitler, Stalin and Mr Jones

Link

The story of Gareth Jones - the Welsh journalist who covered the famine in the Soviet Ukraine, met Hitler during his rise to power and was murdered while covering the Japanese mobilisation against China.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I watched The Bad Boys 30 for 30 last night about The Pistons in the mid to late 80s. Was absolutely fantastic, didn't know much about Denis Rodman before this except that he was a bit nuts, but my god I was close to tears watching parts of this. Really recommend it to anyone, if if you knew very little about basketball.

• Like 3

I recently watched "The Rise and Fall of The Clash"...not too special in terms of artistic merit, it was basically just informational. I didn't know their manager was a megalomaniac, and that Mick Jones was the booted from the band by Strummer (having been manipulated into it by the manager). And that Strummer later confessed his mistake and tried to get Jones to rejoin the band, but Jones was not interested, having moved on with Big Audio Dynamite. The doc showed Jones in the most positive light, the manager in the worst, and Strummer was made to look a bit naive and a bit of a dick. But it's hard to know what that level of fame and fortune in such a quick flash will do to you. 

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I watched The Bad Boys 30 for 30 last night about The Pistons in the mid to late 80s. Was absolutely fantastic, didn't know much about Denis Rodman before this except that he was a bit nuts, but my god I was close to tears watching parts of this. Really recommend it to anyone, if if you knew very little about basketball.

Back when the NBA had personalities and real rivalries, and teams with distinctive styles. It's all so boring now.

Back when the NBA had personalities and real rivalries, and teams with distinctive styles. It's all so boring now.

Indeed really the golden era.

If you're looking for more good basketball docs, "Hoop Dreams" is truly an epic tale of two aspiring Chicago high school basketball players, back in the early 90's. Gripping stuff.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

Has anything caused the sport to become boring? I haven't really followed it closely in years but when did it start to go downhill in your opinion?

Â