Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I watched The Bad Boys 30 for 30 last night about The Pistons in the mid to late 80s. Was absolutely fantastic, didn't know much about Denis Rodman before this except that he was a bit nuts, but my god I was close to tears watching parts of this. Really recommend it to anyone, if if you knew very little about basketball.

Back when the NBA had personalities and real rivalries, and teams with distinctive styles. It's all so boring now.

Has anything caused the sport to become boring? I haven't really followed it closely in years but when did it start to go downhill in your opinion?

That's like asking when cricket got boring.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I watched The Bad Boys 30 for 30 last night about The Pistons in the mid to late 80s. Was absolutely fantastic, didn't know much about Denis Rodman before this except that he was a bit nuts, but my god I was close to tears watching parts of this. Really recommend it to anyone, if if you knew very little about basketball.

Back when the NBA had personalities and real rivalries, and teams with distinctive styles. It's all so boring now.

Has anything caused the sport to become boring? I haven't really followed it closely in years but when did it start to go downhill in your opinion?

For me, "The Golden Age" of the NBA ended around 1994. By then, the league expanded to Vancouver, Miami, Minnesota and Charlotte, so that meant players who would not have been deemed good enough before, were now "good enough". And the quality of play suffered. 

All the 80's superstars were either retired or benchwarmers. Boston Garden was torn down, followed by Chicago Stadium and the Philly Spectrum. Arenas started blaring prerecorded rap and dance music at every stoppage of play, whereas there used to be some old geezer in the balcony playing an actual pipe organ. The atmosphere really changed for the worse. 

It also didn't help that the Celtics (my club) endured the worst run in their history. Some say is was a curse from when Len Bias and then Reggie Lewis died.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

Cricket is the sport of Kings!  :)

Have you seen Fire In Babylon? The documentary about the rise of the West Indies cricket team, of the 70s and 80s? Highly recommend it, if you've not. 

• Like 2

Really enjoyed that Bird-Magic documentary.

It's a good one. Those two guys truly saved the league from real obscurity. In the 70's, they showed the championship finals on TAPE DELAY. Amazing. 

The Pistons and the Bird and Magic documentaries were both superb. 

How about Bill Laimbeer, what an absolute character, simply didn't give a sh**. Very rare you see players like that in any sport today. 

• Like 2

Cricket is the sport of Kings!  :)

Have you seen Fire In Babylon? The documentary about the rise of the West Indies cricket team, of the 70s and 80s? Highly recommend it, if you've not. 

Not yet but will check it out. Cheers  :)

The Pistons and the Bird and Magic documentaries were both superb. 

How about Bill Laimbeer, what an absolute character, simply didn't give a sh**. Very rare you see players like that in any sport today. 

Isiah was a bit of a character too... I read that Jordan and a few others vetoed him going to the Barcelona Olympics as part of the Dream Team as they couldn't stand him

The Pistons were that team you loved to hate, but secretly respected. Like you said, you don't get many characters like that nowadays in Sport. 

Isiah was a bit of a character too... I read that Jordan and a few others vetoed him going to the Barcelona Olympics as part of the Dream Team as they couldn't stand him

He's a total arsehole, actually

Looking forward to Slaying the Badger; the story of the 86 Tour.

But this is brilliant

Its on Captain Eric ‘Winkle’ Brown, a man who has witnessed much of the 20th C, from the rise of Hitler, Jesse Owens at the Olympics, fighting in WWII, Interrogating Goering, Concentration Camps, flying more variations of planes than anyone else, landing more planes on aircraft carriers, etc. He’s a sprightly and engaging 95 year old and increasingly one of the few...

• Like 1

But this is brilliant

Its on Captain Eric ‘Winkle’ Brown, a man who has witnessed much of the 20th C, from the rise of Hitler, Jesse Owens at the Olympics, fighting in WWII, Interrogating Goering, Concentration Camps, flying more variations of planes than anyone else, landing more planes on aircraft carriers, etc. He’s a sprightly and engaging 95 year old and increasingly one of the few...

What a life he's lived.

That German plane he flew after the war that would explode if you landed it with a little too much fuel left.

Â