Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

fecacc60c8e410216b88b829fc26f077.jpg

Watched this recently, incredibly inspirational.

Made me feel a bit daft feeling sorry for myself following my cycling accident.

Just came into the thread to mention this.  Kevin Pearce gave a talk at our company leadership conference at the end of last year.  An incredible guy, and an incredible story.

I just stumbled on this doc last year, hadn't heard a word about it, and it floored me. Gut wrenching stuff.

added a load to my netflix watchlist, managed 2 last night -

MV5BMjI2NzQ0MTI1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzMy

was interesting enough but IMO was a bit safe and tried to cover too much ground, theres been better documentaries about the subjects (the king of kong, indie game) and i think miyamoto is over due a documentary by now

5_Broken_Cameras.jpg

bout a Palestinian bloke living in a village on the edge of a settlement and the villagers battle to stop the settlement creeping on to their land, its very good, its all filmed through hand held cameras, that over 6 years are broken 1 by 1 for various reasons (for example 1 is shot by a sniper) he's not a filmaker he's from the village filming most of it as evidence as much as anything else so its obviously one sided but it doesnt feel overly edited or forced, some of it changed my outsider looking in not overly interested every bit as bad as each other leave them to it opinion, some of the tactics they use to disrupt their way of life / manipulation of the laws is just plain wrong (anyone who's seen it, the bits with the containers) highly recommended

left on the list - the square, 20 feet from stardom, dirty wars, cutie and the boxer

any more on there? ive seen gas land, food inc, black fish

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched this:

56117.jpg

Really great watch, Tells the story of the American Samoa football team, the lowest placed team in the FIFA world rankings, and their new Dutch coach.  

• Like 1

yeah its on sky movies at the moment, will give it a go when the missus isnt about

watched a couple on Netflix this week

- we could be king - about Philadelphia having huge cuts in education and 2 schools that were huge rivals merging, from the perspective of the football team, was ok, very football heavy rather than the education side of it which would probably have been more interesting

- shenandoah - about 4 high school footballers who beat a mexican illegal immigrant to death, touched on the racism, the shutting of coal mine and the collapse of the community, the high school football, was pretty good

Just watched this:

56117.jpg

Really great watch, Tells the story of the American Samoa football team, the lowest placed team in the FIFA world rankings, and their new Dutch coach.  

Thomas Rongen! Managed New England Revolution back in the 90's, in fact I think he was our first manager. Good guy.

• Like 1

Just watched this:

56117.jpg

Thomas Rongen! Managed New England Revolution back in the 90's, in fact I think he was our first manager. Good guy.

Yeah, he seems it. 

Was that the Insane peoples one?

If not, I thought that was good.

Watched the Trev MacDonald one one the mafia too, which was very blunt - some bad people on the streets of NYC back in the day..

My favourites

Dear zachary, letter to my unborn (if you havent seen, dont spoil yourself by google'ng, truly truly heartbreaking )
Insider job  (about financial collapse and just the amount of freedom banks had to do whatver the f' they wanted, narrated by matt damon)
Two escobars (football and cocaine)
Cocaine cowboys (was the film blow based on this exact same story?, the drug part of the documentary that is...)

All incredibly well known so youve probably seem them all but all incredibly interesting.

Love a documentary, going to binge all the ones in this thread i think...apart from the animal documentaries. Those are tooo heartbreaking

Edited by gharperr

Was that the Insane peoples one?

If not, I thought that was good.

Watched the Trev MacDonald one one the mafia too, which was very blunt - some bad people on the streets of NYC back in the day..

Nah, it was one of the LA Stories ones which aired a while ago. That one the other night was great as well though.

• Like 1

Just watched Talhotblond on Netflix last night. Pretty amazing story, but the doc has some considerable flaws in execution. A better filmmaker could have turned it into an award winner.

Edited by maqroll

GOING CLEAR: Scientology & the Prison of Belief HBO has aired i think in america and cant wait to watch this. Hasnt been uploaded to TPB yet but apparently HBO has 160 lawyers working on this documentary for when scientology will try to sue them

Edited by gharperr

Thought Trev McDonald's on the Mafia (2 parter) was good.

Pretty harrowing, some of the people on there that take killing so.. calmly?

Also, they estimate 7,000 "mob" recruits are walking around NYC today, killing, extorting, intimidating etc, still considerable.

Although one guy said there's no loyalty in the Mafia any more, the first person to drop others in it, reduce his own time whilst being given money and safekeeping is too much of a dangling carrot not to take.  So it appears the gentlemanly agreements, codes etc don't hold much water any more.

The problem with that kind of show is that the majority of people being interviewed will have left the life and tell it a certain way whilst those still in it won't say a thing

Think it had some legs though, would have been better if he'd done a 4/5 parter and did a proper history of the mafia show with then the same interviews

My favourite bit was probably all the different ways the bosses could say I'm not answering that whilst in court

Also watched his Mississippi one and he's not as bad as I thought he would be

Â