Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

atari_game_over.jpg?itok=xVdRecla

Atari: Game Over.

The fascinating story of how one bloke, spurred on by an emerging industry living the dream a long time before "rock-nerds" like John Romero, Zuckerberg and Parker et. al. took the blame for destroying a billion dollar industry despite the fact that it was a bubble waiting to burst.

The subsequent urban myth (which I have believed was true and entirely plausible) was Atari's disaster of releasing the video game of E.T. was so bad, they took a million unsold cartridges and buried them in a landfill in New Mexico.

In this documentary, they go looking for the hidden treasure...

GOING CLEAR: Scientology & the Prison of Belief HBO has aired i think in america and cant wait to watch this. Hasnt been uploaded to TPB yet but apparently HBO has 160 lawyers working on this documentary for when scientology will try to sue them

Well worth a watch, really interesting!!

it was good...but after hearing rumours about them blackmailing trevolta to stay over the death of his son...and the owners wife going  missing for several years which has led to a few of the members leaving the church, i thought they was going to go into that and make it more interesting. I guess they cant though as all of that is pure rumours. It is mindblowing though how people can fall for such nonsense

Edited by gharperr

The book that it's based on is meant to be really good and goes into a lot more detail on everything that got talked about the in the doc.

Edited by useless

Never watched that link through. Saw it on TV a few weeks ago. I miss that hockey, although I don't remember Nilan I very much remember Bob Probert.

Being an old Boston Garden denizen, I remember Nilan all too well. We hated him cuz he played for Montreal and was a thug, but we also kind of liked him too cuz we knew deep down he'd prefer to have been playing for us. 

But you're right, the game has totally changed from those years. All the Europeans have turned it into a figure skating league  ;)

The old Garden WAS like the Thunderdome, it was an absolute cauldron of hate. I remember the adrenaline rush as we all made the walk up the ramp to get to our seats, smoke of various types everywhere, people already drunk, police more interested in watching the game...it was a great time. Now the new building and the new league is just corporate, sanitized hockey-lite. The skill level is better, and the fighting is all but gone and maybe it's all for the best. But for me what made the NHL so compelling was it's wildness. Now it's tame. I consider myself lucky to have grown up in the 80's when it was at it's peak. The perfect blend of highly skilled players and brawlers. Back when division rivalries meant something, and when the Bruins had a team full of actual kids from Massachusetts. 

• Like 1

Envy. You saw Cam Neely and Ray Bourque play on that small rink you had. Must have been awesome.

It was. And if it wasn't for those Edmonton all star teams, we would have won Stanley Cups in '88 and '90. But there was just no stopping that Oilers machine. 

Envy. You saw Cam Neely and Ray Bourque play on that small rink you had. Must have been awesome.

It was. And if it wasn't for those Edmonton all star teams, we would have won Stanley Cups in '88 and '90. But there was just no stopping that Oilers machine. 

The drafts of the Oillers in 79-81 are insane

Kevin Lowe

Mark Messier

Glenn Anderson

Paul Coffey

Jari Kurri

Andy Moog

Grant Fuhr

Steve Smith

And of course, bringing a certain Great One with them from the WHA

Things go haywire around the 30 min mark ^^^

Ah balls, I thought you meant that the documentary came to life after the first half an hour. I watched the first part in eager anticipation. 

It breaks after 28 mins. I'm off to search for a working version.

Some great footage. Was very interesting to see some of the stuff I wasn't aware of before. Especially the recording of him talking about trying to kill himself on the railway tracks, and the story behind that. The footage of him a Courtney, when they were both smacked out of their minds was a bit depressing though. Although the Guns and Roses bits had me howling. 

• Like 1

Some great footage. Was very interesting to see some of the stuff I wasn't aware of before. Especially the recording of him talking about trying to kill himself on the railway tracks, and the story behind that. The footage of him a Courtney, when they were both smacked out of their minds was a bit depressing though. Although the Guns and Roses bits had me howling. 

Yeah i didnt know about the train track bit either.  Some of the Kurt and Courtney was hilarious, yet at the same time it felt completely desperate as you could instantly tell they were both off their faces. The bit where Kurt was dressed as a woman and miming what Courtney was saying :lol:

Cant help but feel that Courtney had a big say in what direction the film took, the lack of Dave Grohl was suspicious.

Its a shame it werent longer really, theres still so much more they could have covered.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

atari_game_over.jpg?itok=xVdRecla

Atari: Game Over.

The fascinating story of how one bloke, spurred on by an emerging industry living the dream a long time before "rock-nerds" like John Romero, Zuckerberg and Parker et. al. took the blame for destroying a billion dollar industry despite the fact that it was a bubble waiting to burst.

The subsequent urban myth (which I have believed was true and entirely plausible) was Atari's disaster of releasing the video game of E.T. was so bad, they took a million unsold cartridges and buried them in a landfill in New Mexico.

In this documentary, they go looking for the hidden treasure...

Watched this last night. Very enjoyable. Not a massive gaming fan but i did have an Atari 2600 (i think, or it was something very similar!) 

• 3 weeks later...
Â