Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
samjp26

Jed Steer

Recommended Posts

Forget about saves, the big thing for me is that he is doing the basics right.

He isn't flapping or falling over at crosses and set pieces. Goalkeeping is so much more than shot stopping.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Forget about saves, the big thing for me is that he is doing the basics right.

He isn't flapping or falling over at crosses and set pieces. Goalkeeping is so much more than shot stopping.

Agree with this.  He is comfortable on the deck too and can use both feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if anything else, allows us to recoup a fee if we move him on in the summer. But good for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He hasn't had a lot to do... granted. However he hasn't had a lot to do due to the defence in front of him performing so well.

One of the key reasons the defence are performing so well is due to their organisation and Steer is key to that. I watched him on Saturday and he was shouting at all of them, telling them where he wanted them to be to take the ball. Between him and Mings dictating the back 4 are rarely caught out of position now, something that was happening on a game to game basis prior.

For me it's his shirt to lose now, and I can't see him being dropped this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree that he hasn't really been 'tested' yet. However, a lot of shots appear to be straight at him, could this be due to hi good positioning? I think one of his current strengths is his quick distribution both with his feet and also his throws...keeps us on the front foot and stops the opposition being able to full retreat and regroup defensively. Too soon to tell if he will consistently outperform Kalinic who has only had a few games behind a much more porous defence. For the time being though the kid is doing s great job,  Keep it up Jed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like he's been given a new contract till end of next season which is fine so long as he can keep his form..

It says it all doesn't it that be brought a keeper for 7 million then our keeper who got sent out on loan, is recalled and is making it in before Kalanic and Nyland. Question is did we seriously waste 7 million, it's still a tough one to answer at the moment..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Seems like he's been given a new contract till end of next season which is fine so long as he can keep his form..

It says it all doesn't it that be brought a keeper for 7 million then our keeper who got sent out on loan, is recalled and is making it in before Kalanic and Nyland. Question is did we seriously waste 7 million, it's still a tough one to answer at the moment..

I don't think we did waste 7mil. I’m glad Kalanic is here, with him and Jed we have 2 good keepers for where we are at. What i do think we wasted was the money we spent on Nyland and the wages we have given Bunn over the years.

Edited by honest_bertie
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/03/2019 at 14:26, KHV said:

I don't rate Kalinic at all

 

How many game stgough has he had with a settled defence like Steer has? 

BTW very happy Steer has signed a new contract that helps in the summer save some money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/03/2019 at 11:37, honest_bertie said:

I don't think we did waste 7mil.

I honestly think it is a waste.

Steer is fine, imagine if we used those money on a proper dmf

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I honestly think it is a waste.

Steer is fine, imagine if we used those money on a proper dmf

Whelan and Hourihane are both doing fine in that position. Would have been a waste to spend it there in that sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Whelan and Hourihane are both doing fine in that position. Would have been a waste to spend it there in that sense.

Whelan will need replacing in the summer, he's shattered at times and then his concentration goes and makes awful passes. We need a younger player now in his role and that 7 million could of got us someone very capable.

Sometimes some things become outdated and while whelens is going through a phase of what looks to be a comeback, I expect it not to last. Personally I think he looks better because Grealish is back. Where were these performances in the weeks Grealish was injured, that's the player we need to replace summer.

I thank Whelan for his service but to me he is a player we must replace..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're thinking about goalkeepers we wasted money on while all the time it turns out Steer can do the job - let's not forget Gollini.

(Although I do agre with the qualifications about "has he been really tested yet?")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I honestly think it is a waste.

Steer is fine, imagine if we used those money on a proper dmf

Do you know we didn't try? I dont think its that simple really. And what if steer had of got injured instead of Nyland? If this if that.

I’m happy with Kalanic and all our signings this season, so far it lools like we have sensible people with half an idea of what they are doing in charge now, rather than the charlatans we’ve been  unfortunate to have last few seasons. 

Edited by honest_bertie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I honestly think it is a waste.

Steer is fine, imagine if we used those money on a proper dmf

Maybe he is but he wasnt playing and had been loaned out so to miss out on signing Croatia number 1 keeper on the off chance Steer would be good enough would have been madness. 

If he turned out to be shit we would have been screwed.

I think you’re doing this on purpose now!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/03/2019 at 00:25, Zatman said:

I like that some people are writing Kalinic off after 6 Championship games

Can’t speak for others, but I’m certainly not writing him off.

All I’m saying is that we’ve won 4 on the bounce, letting in one freak goal in the process.

For me Steer keeps the shirt until he loses it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Personally I think he looks better because Grealish is back. Where were these performances in the weeks Grealish was injured, that's the player we need to replace summer.

You could argue Steer looks better in goal because of the improved defence. He's not as under pressure as Nyland / Kalinic were during their tenure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Thug said:

Can’t speak for others, but I’m certainly not writing him off.

All I’m saying is that we’ve won 4 on the bounce, letting in one freak goal in the process.

For me Steer keeps the shirt until he loses it.

 

 

Fully agree, he has done nothing to lose his place and think Smith is the type of manager that its your jersey to lose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/03/2019 at 00:25, Zatman said:

I like that some people are writing Kalinic off after 6 Championship games

The Number 1 for the world cup runners up :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â