Jed Steer

samjp26

Mistake for the first goal, but did well for the remainder of the game. Quick off his line and dealt with everything that came his way.

Hasn't really been tested in the last few games.

For me he retains the shirt Saturday.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Honestly, that isn't a mistake at all for their goal.  I live about a 5 minute walk from the Forest ground; the gusts of wind (not from me...) this evening have been really strong and the wind was blowing towards our goal first half.  There's actually an angle of their goal that shows the cross is just a normal cross, but gets caught by the wind and drifts in.  It's a complete fluke and unavoidable.

Fair

42 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah can't do mistakes like that at this level.

He got his chance, he might have blown it already

In every bloody thread you contradict yourself on a page on page, I'm sure you're just trolling.

Today he has blown his chance, in the last page he was more than good enough.

On 02/03/2019 at 17:02, villalad21 said:

Again, this is so frustrating.

Steer is absolutely fine at this level. All the millions we wasted on Nyland and Kalinic that should have been spent elsewhere.

On 02/03/2019 at 21:07, villalad21 said:

And it's so frustrating to me.

Imagine if we spent all those millions on a right or left back instead. Or a better def midfielder than Whelan

Steer is good enough at this level, always has been.

I think it was a mistake for the first goal but I was more interested in how he bounced badk. I thought he was really assured all game and also helped the defence with some good punches.

I like him. I find it amazing he was loaned out for Nyland and Bunn.  Agent Bruce.

It wasn't a mistake to me. He was covering the near post sneak shot and covered his angles for the cross that Colbeck meant to do. Colbeck slices one and they get lucky. He can't cover every possibility and what happened was the least likely of eventualities. 

Not everything has to be down to a mistake or that a player isn't fit for purpose. The best keepers in the world concede flukey shite like that. It doesn't make it an error just because they're scrambling to a place the ball won't end up in 95 times out of 100.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

It wasn't a mistake to me. He was covering the near post sneak shot and covered his angles for the cross that Colbeck meant to do. Colbeck slices one and they get lucky. He can't cover every possibility and what happened was the least likely of eventualities. 

Not everything has to be down to a mistake or that a player isn't fit for purpose. The best keepers in the world concede flukey shite like that. It doesn't make it an error just because they're scrambling to a place the ball won't end up in 95 times out of 100.

You could be right. He probably could have done better but it was definitely an unlucky one and would be harsh to judge his ability on that one goal: 

I’ve been really impressed with him.  Yes he hasn’t had much to do but it seems like the defence are comfortable with him and have a good understanding. He’s positioning is also very good with a lot of shots ending up being right at him. Fair play to the lad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

I like him. Very vocal and never afraid to come and punch if need be.

I like a commanding keeper and he has that in him.

First goal was a freak but he really acquitted himself well after that. 

Fair play to Smith and co for bringing him back? 

On 10/03/2019 at 20:29, villalad21 said:

At the same time if Kalinic continues to sit on the bench, i don't know what wages he's on, but regardless he's wages is wasted and should be spent elsewhere if Steer remain as our number 1.

Well at least Steer has competition, which is something he wouldn't have had from Nyland, even if he was fit! 

Why don't you just enjoy it and get behind the team?

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

You could be right. He probably could have done better but it was definitely an unlucky one and would be harsh to judge his ability on that one goal: 

I’ve been really impressed with him.  Yes he hasn’t had much to do but it seems like the defence are comfortable with him and have a good understanding. He’s positioning is also very good with a lot of shots ending up being right at him. Fair play to the lad. 

If he had the length of Kalanic (ooo err), he might have got it. I don't mean to have a pop at others, I just think we're too quick to put a blame on someone every time. If the only criticism is a sliced cross lobbing him then I'll take that. 

Kalanic may be a better keeper ability and physically wise but like you say, the communication with the defence seems to be there which means he may not have to face situations another keeper who isn't in tune with his back line as much. 

Steer will probably revert to sub eventually but he's earning the shirt now. At worst he's a very solid back up but he's young, improving and pushing for number 1. 

A lankier goalkeeper may have got there but I don't see an error in where he was. 

• Like 3

On 11/03/2019 at 21:56, villalad21 said:

Nyland and Kalinic might be better shot stoppers,

I don't think they are. The best save I've seen this season was by Steer in preseason diving low to his left to tip a very powerfully hit shot around the post.

Anyone claiming that first goal is a mistake by steer genuinely doesn't know what they are talking about.

I've played in goal at decent level before and whichever way you look at it, his positioning as the cross is hit is as close to perfect as you can get!

He is covering both near post and yet still far enough off line to cover a low cross between him and penalty spot / six yard line.

The cross was completely shanked and also caught a clear gust of wind taking right over his head and only dropping in just under cross bar and post. Literally if someone hits a chip or shot that perfect you won't stop it, so a complete flukey shank that loops and drifts with the wind right into top corner is completely unavoidable and just rotten luck.

If in doubt look at the angle from linesman's view. He is in perfect position

• Like 2

I went to a Forest - Villa game sometime in the 80s at the City ground - when there was terracing and all that. We won 1-0 via a Peter Withe goal that was (at the other end of the ground) almost the same as Forest's last night. A mis-hit cross blown in by the wind. Now't the keeper could do then, either.

Kinda makes you wonder why we bought two goalkeepers this season doesn't it?

I mean okay, he hasn't really been tested for 3 games running now but he hasn't made a mistake, handling seems pretty solid, comes out for crosses sometimes (could definitely still be more commanding) and his distribution is pretty decent.

Lee Hendrie made me laugh last night (as he often does on when he's trying to commentate or add something to a conversation) when he called him a young keeper/player - he's 26! (though I guess for a goalie that could still be considered young)

We've literally played Steer, Kalinic, Nyland, Moreira, and Bunn this season. We've spent close to 10 million on keepers just this season, and ended up with Steer in goal.

He has been solid, but I think we really should be playing Kalinic if he is seen as our long term #1. 

10 hours ago, ramshackler said:

Anyone claiming that first goal is a mistake by steer genuinely doesn't know what they are talking about.

I've played in goal at decent level before and whichever way you look at it, his positioning as the cross is hit is as close to perfect as you can get!

He is covering both near post and yet still far enough off line to cover a low cross between him and penalty spot / six yard line.

The cross was completely shanked and also caught a clear gust of wind taking right over his head and only dropping in just under cross bar and post. Literally if someone hits a chip or shot that perfect you won't stop it, so a complete flukey shank that loops and drifts with the wind right into top corner is completely unavoidable and just rotten luck.

If in doubt look at the angle from linesman's view. He is in perfect position

Yep. I said in the match thread is wasn't his fault. 

If he had been standing anywhere where he could have caught the cross his near post wod have been completely exposed for an easy low shot from the guy on the ball, a simple goal. 

Sometimes people can't accept there is such a thing as an unlucky flukey goal, always need someone to blame where there is no blame. 

• Like 1

Â