Jed Steer

samjp26

47 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

We've literally played Steer, Kalinic, Nyland, Moreira, and Bunn this season. We've spent close to 10 million on keepers just this season, and ended up with Steer in goal.

He has been solid, but I think we really should be playing Kalinic if he is seen as our long term #1. 

At the end of the day, all a transfer does is buy you a place in the squad, once you're there you have to work for your place in the team.  Steer has done what he has had to do so Kalinic has to wait.  I'd still be surprised if eventually Kalinic doesnt regain his spot.

Whether you blame him for the goal or not the important thing for me was how he recovered. It didn’t phase him at all which means he is confident. Crucial for any player but in particular a goalie. 

Kalinic is the better keeper but he never looked confident to me.  I can see Steer staying in goal for the rest of the season. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think he's anything special, but there's no way you can blame him for their goal last night. Absurd.

Better than the two we have spunked a load of money on.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, KHV said:

That's just sad really, but you're right. Kalinic and Nyland both look shaky.

Steer looks more reliable.

Imagine if we just recalled Steer and spent those money to get in a proper fullback.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Are you including Kalinic?

I disagree. I think Kalinic will be a far better keeper for us.

But yes much better than Nyland. He's wank.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That's just sad really, but you're right. Kalinic and Nyland both look shaky.

Steer looks more reliable.

Imagine if we just recalled Steer and spent those money to get in a proper fullback.

Imagine if we did and Steer turned out to be shit. You and your hindsight is tiring.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Are you including Kalinic?

I disagree. I think Kalinic will be a far better keeper for us.

But yes much better than Nyland. He's wank.

I don't rate Kalinic at all

• Confused 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Fair enough. I think he's comfortably better than anyone else we have.

I feel Steer should have been given the whole season all about opinions though 😎

It'll do Kalinic good to watch Steer from the bench a bit. Kalinic is definitely better in the medium term, but now Steer is at the helm.

Steer didn't have much to do yesterday, but what he did, he did well. Seems our defense has faith in him, which is important too.

• Like 2

On 14/03/2019 at 20:47, Czechlad said:

We've literally played Steer, Kalinic, Nyland, Moreira, and Bunn this season. We've spent close to 10 million on keepers just this season, and ended up with Steer in goal.

He has been solid, but I think we really should be playing Kalinic if he is seen as our long term #1. 

I really think we should be playing whoever is in form, and that the long term number one should be decided by that rather than who we spent a load of cash on.

• Like 2

It's funny to me how Hause isn't exhibit A as to why deciding Kalinic is shit is overwhelmingly premature. Especially given the price, stature and "pedigree".

Steer has been solid but how convenient is it to forget he hasn't had half as much to do as the other keepers.

Mings, Elphick, Hause and even Jack to a certain degree have a huge part to play in Steers form, and arguably him getting a new contract.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Genuinely curious about this, but when was the last time he was really tested by a team? I don't recall him making a lot of big saves.

That said, he's in great form

Has kept 3 clean sheets in 7 full games. Has a save percentage of 42.5 percent.

He only had a 31% save percentage in League 1 which was nearly 3 times as many games

• Like 1

Is he in great form?

I can't say i can think of a single save he has made that any of the other keepers we have wouldnt have made.

I'd agree that he has benefitted from a general uplift in team performance as opposed to anything he himself has brought to the team.

Saying that, i'd have been happy him being our number 1 this season as i think hes a decent keeper.  Kalinic is better though.

• Like 1

Â