Jed Steer

samjp26

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I imagine the plan is to have Martinez and Heaton competing for the gloves and whoever doesn't get them is number 2.

Would potentially be ideal from a fan perspective but I think Martinez has come in to be no. 1 and, unfortunately, I can't see Heaton, at his age, sitting around and being happy with playing second fiddle and cup games.  He didn't want to do it at Burnley - and he loves that club - so I can't see him being happy doing it at the Villa.

Time will tell I guess.

5 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Would potentially be ideal from a fan perspective but I think Martinez has come in to be no. 1 and, unfortunately, I can't see Heaton, at his age, sitting around and being happy with playing second fiddle and cup games.  He didn't want to do it at Burnley - and he loves that club - so I can't see him being happy doing it at the Villa.

Time will tell I guess.

My guess is we went for a keeper of Martinez' quality because they're concerned about Heaton's injury given his age.

If that concern is real, Heaton might decide it's in his best interests to be a number 2 and see out his big contract.

I'm just speculating though. I agree that Martinez has most likely come in as Number 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My guess is we went for a keeper of Martinez' quality because they're concerned about Heaton's injury given his age.

I completely agree with this, and the logic as to why he was bought, and I think we both agree that now Martinez is here he will be no. 1.

I am not sure that Heaton will settle for 2nd spot due to his injuries.  Whilst he has picked up a couple of big injuries - long spells out - they are not related and could just be bad luck.  I am sure that someone like Leeds would take Heaton tomorrow for the £8m we paid plus (once he proves he is fit) and give him the no. 1 jersey if the negative comments about the 20 y/o loan keeper that they have now permanently signed are valid.  A couple of years understudy to a senior pro would be perfect for him you would think and would give Heaton the no. 1 spot at a "big" club??

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Even in an U-23 game he just loves a penalty save. 

I really like Steer, shame he isn't anywhere near the team, the competition is just THAT good. 

If Heaton leaves in the summer I wonder if he would be happy to stay as a number 2 (or if we would be happy with that). 

Just now, Dave-R said:

I love Steer, I were gutted how he got chooked to the back of the line once we gained promotion, deserved better than that..

The club gave him a new contract after it so they rewearded but the truth is he is 28 and has just over 100 games. He is a good back up but not a Premier League No. 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The club gave him a new contract after it so they rewearded but the truth is he is 28 and has just over 100 games. He is a good back up but not a Premier League No. 1

That's no reward being in Limbo at a club for a couple of years all because he got a new contract, he's hardly seen any football. We should of at least found our promotion winning keeper somewhere else to play for where he could have regular first time football. How long have we had all these keepers for, we had five at one point since back in the premier till we sold Sarkic to Wolves and the club say there going to be no stock piling lol.

We were actually at the point I were even ready to start building a keeper team on FIFA 21 🤭🤣.

Or

Smith were doing his own version of the Bruce RB system.

Edited by Dave-R

2 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

That's no reward being in Limbo at a club for a couple of years all because he got a new contract, he's hardly seen any football. We should of at least found our promotion winning keeper somewhere else to play for where he could have regular first time football. How long have we had all these keepers for, we had five at one point since back in the premier till we sold Sarkic to Wolves and the club say there going to be no stock piling lol.

We were actually at the point I were even ready to start building a keeper team on FIFA 21 🤭🤣.

He was out of contract he didn't have to sign the deal and could have played elsewhere. He is happy to be a Number 3 goalkeeper and is handsomely rewearded for it

Just now, Zatman said:

He was out of contract he didn't have to sign the deal and could have played elsewhere. He is happy to be a Number 3 goalkeeper and is handsomely rewearded for it

I dont doubt the handsomely rewarded bit for sitting on the sidelines, I just think he deserved better than just some money thrown at him.

He's a real decent keeper who is another that would put his body on the line for the club and has done. We didn't even try once we got promoted to see if he could step up to No1, Steer wasn't given that chance. Sure I don't know the ins and outs of how he feels none of us do, I just reckon there was a possibility he could of stepped into No1. If your good enough to be no2, your good enough to be No1 and some people are saying they'd gladly have him as no2.

Sure we have Martinez now and our world has changed and we're moving on up the league, but I do think for our time last season that Steer could of made a massive difference if given the No1.

6 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Should go and play football because if he stays fit he is far too good to he a No.2 anywhere.

Heaton is more in need of games so no way we're just letting the two of them go.

Steer will stay if he's promised to be our cup keeper next season I imagine (although we can always bring in Emi from SF onwards as we tended to do with Friedel) so he'll get a few games but Emi is number one by a long chalk.

6 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I dont doubt the handsomely rewarded bit for sitting on the sidelines, I just think he deserved better than just some money thrown at him.

He's a real decent keeper who is another that would put his body on the line for the club and has done. We didn't even try once we got promoted to see if he could step up to No1, Steer wasn't given that chance. Sure I don't know the ins and outs of how he feels none of us do, I just reckon there was a possibility he could of stepped into No1. If your good enough to be no2, your good enough to be No1 and some people are saying they'd gladly have him as no2.

Sure we have Martinez now and our world has changed and we're moving on up the league, but I do think for our time last season that Steer could of made a massive difference if given the No1.

Given our inexperienced our backline was at premier league it was completely right decision to get a Heaton type keeper in imo. Steer was just unlucky he got the game v Wolves and within two minutes had the season ending injury as he would've been first choice from the minute Heaton himself got injured at Burnley so that would've been about 20 starts.

Always have a soft spot for his part in our promotion winning run from March onwards and I guess at this stage he's one of those happy to just bide his time at prem club and wait for games.

Think one problem is defence simply won't have as much confidence in him as it's incredible the assurance Emi brings to them during games. It's night and day between him and Nyland for example who scared our defenders to death with his antics from crosses and general lack of confidence.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Given our inexperienced our backline was at premier league it was completely right decision to get a Heaton type keeper in imo. Steer was just unlucky he got the game v Wolves and within two minutes had the season ending injury as he would've been first choice from the minute Heaton himself got injured at Burnley so that would've been about 20 starts.

Always have a soft spot for his part in our promotion winning run from March onwards and I guess at this stage he's one of those happy to just bide his time at prem club and wait for games.

Think one problem is defence simply won't have as much confidence in him as it's incredible the assurance Emi brings to them during games. It's night and day between him and Nyland for example who scared our defenders to death with his antics from crosses and general lack of confidence.

Won't never forget Steer v Holgate penalty, how he scared that lad into screwing up before he'd even got to the spot..

I think he was very very unlucky once we'd won promotion. Yes is injury came at the wrong time for him and the club, wonder if the Club would of still gone for Heaton if he'd of stayed fit and how our season would of turned out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Â