Jed Steer

samjp26

4 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

4 shots on goal. 3 goals conceded. (To be honest, I can't remember the "save", so I'll assume that was a shot straight into his arms). I feel Emi would have done better in all 3.

Steer needs a run of games for confidence and needs to be further off his line - but I wouldn't put him in goal in the cup against Chelsea.

That was a Nyland like performance. 

Mings dropped him in it, but he definitely hesitated on the second. He came about halfway for it then just stopped before Kovacic even got to it, leaving a good 3/4 of the goal open to aim for. It probably would've been about 50/50 to get there with his feet but he almost 100% would've gotten his body over it going to ground. Just can't afford that uncertainty in your mind in those situations.

Ain't played for ages and gets landed in the muck by his captain, point the blame where its sposed to go which the second goal was certainly on Mings for his amateur hour bull$hit

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Ain't played for ages and gets landed in the muck by his captain, point the blame where its sposed to go which the second goal was certainly on Mings for his amateur hour bull$hit

He played 2 games ago 

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

That was a Nyland like performance. 

It really wasn’t. He just played to his level of capability. He is nowhere near a PL keeper which is why he’s never been one. That’s not his fault. We are all limited by our own capability.

If you mean that Emi would likely have done better then I agree. Emi would have stood a chance of saving all 3 goals and he almost certainly would have prevented the second one which was the killer blow. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Mings ball was poor but Steer had a really poor starting position, he then stopped instead of committing to the challenge, he failed to make himself big and he got his angles all wrong. He is certainly not absolved of blame. That goal never goes in if Emi is in goal. That’s the difference in having a world class player and a lower championship player in goal.

Dont know why he hesitated with the backpass. Even if you clatter the guy and give away a penalty; you dont just stop and make the attackers mind up for him. Mings is to blame but Steer could have made the ball first.  Martinez will be back now thankfully. Hope we dont lose him again after the next round of internationals 😖

Steer will go down in Villa history. Being so critical of him for a game where he has by no means had a disaster is very unfair. 

He's not a great starting premier league keeper, but he doesn't claim to be. 

He got Villa promoted though with his saves in the penalty shoot out. I'd like if he became a reasonable lower level PL goalkeeper, but if he doesn't, he doesn't owe Villa anything 

Yeah I agree he should have been out quicker for the 2nd but it's a minor thing.  The backpass screwed him over.  I'm sure that Martinez would have done better but that doesn't put the goal squarely on Steer. 

3 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I don't think any of the goals were mistakes, and he didn't have much to do except the goals so stats-wise it look a bit worse than it was. But at the same time a good PL keeper could have saved the first two. I think he is a good Chapionship standars keeper, and we need a good PL standard keeper as our no 2.

There can't be many clubs that have a decent PL keeper as their backup.

Looking through https://the-premier-league.com/players/position/goalkeeper/, I've never heard of most of them.

The first kinda went through him, but it wasn’t an easy one.

The second his starting position was too deep especially since we had possession, and he hesitated because he was too deep, but it was a poor backpass.

The third he had no chance.

Other than that, the distribution was decent. He is what he is, it’s fine. We could do with a youngster being good enough to be the number 2 though.

7 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Everton Leicester Spurs are the teams we’re hoping to be around, they all have much better 2s than Steer to be fair.

Everton I am not sure, Leicester spent big but nobody has ever seen Danny Ward playing.  West Ham is missing Fabianski for some reason from the list, same with Ramsdale

Its a mixed bag list

Just now, Zatman said:

Everton I am not sure, Leicester spent big but nobody has ever seen Danny Ward playing.  West Ham is missing Fabianski for some reason from the list, same with Ramsdale

Its a mixed bag list

Fair, I’d definitely have Begovic ahead of Steer though.

Either way, if we lost Martinez for the season and we want to be as ambitious as we’re suggesting we need a little better. And I love the guy.

Â