Jed Steer

samjp26

11 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Fair, I’d definitely have Begovic ahead of Steer though.

Either way, if we lost Martinez for the season and we want to be as ambitious as we’re suggesting we need a little better. And I love the guy.

Begovic on about 40k a week who will never play. Not for me.

That's not how you run a club outside of Europe.

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Mings ball was poor but Steer had a really poor starting position, he then stopped instead of committing to the challenge, he failed to make himself big and he got his angles all wrong. He is certainly not absolved of blame. That goal never goes in if Emi is in goal. That’s the difference in having a world class player and a lower championship player in goal.

The thing is Steer was damned if he did and damned if he didn't because people would equally be giving him stick if he had of come out for the ball and charged the Chelsea player and it still went in.

The cause of it all is the problem I'm afraid and Mings was that cause theres no denying that.

• Like 1

He's okay but poor cover at PL level imo. The second even though Mings was to blame, Steer was seriously slow reacting and the third.....never seen a keeper dive on the spot like that without actually moving sideways to the ball. It was like an obligatory dive without intent. 

Not a good enough back up. If Martinez gets injured for any length of time I think we'll have problems. 

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah I agree he should have been out quicker for the 2nd but it's a minor thing.  The backpass screwed him over.  I'm sure that Martinez would have done better but that doesn't put the goal squarely on Steer. 

It's such a fine line, a firm back pass puts pressure on Steer when being closed down, its a familiarity issue, mings should know Steer is saying put and make the right pass or Steer should better read the game and know what's going to happen and come out to boot it. The Martinez Konza Mings triangle have mileage so one or the other happens naturally and we do not concede.

28 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He's a fine number 2. We ain't in Europe. He's a caraboe keeper.

I think he's a good number 2. Performance wise what can we expect when you no1 is playing all the time and theres no way in for a no2 keeper like history shows. Unless something happens to your number 1 then number 2 keeper  is just never going to be as good because he just doesn't play. Train all day long thats great but its game time that makes players better and theres no way round for a now keeper to get that game time there never has been unless no1 gets injured or strange things like what has happened to Martinez happens.

Steer needs game time and I know a way that the rules could and shouldbe changed to suit keepers and they should be changed. No2s and onwards rot at clubs most i think we can all agree on that, but what if they were allowed to freely go play for another club in leagues below (not same league). The whole loan system just needs slight changes ie allow now keepers and on to be allowed to play for two clubs without the need for a loan to be ripped up and they be sent back to their main club. The one thing I'd had to this different style of Loan would be that the keepers main club is made to pay all wages otherwise they have to follow the normal loan rules. You would most likely find that more of the top keepers would filter down to lower leagues just to keep playing. If clubs had to pay there wages but at anytime had the option to have them back if there no1 gets put out for any reason and then the no2 can return to the club they went to play for game time, really it all works out.

Its not a tough one to figure out but players shouldnt be rotting at clubs and if it's one position that does its certainly keepers beyond the no1 position.

Edited by Dave-R

Watching the second goal again. 

He should have been making himself an option. A better keeper would have sensed the danger and been there to get the ball. 

And a better keeper wouldn't have stopped coming for the ball.

I think not having Martinez behind them negatively affected tuanzebe and mings. He would have been screaming at them

• Like 3

He is not an option, sorry he isnt. He is nit good enough cover for injury/abscence. Has this damn thing about staying on the line, for Mings pass which was poor, immediately ran away from the ball when a coach would ssy close down. Almost turned his back all the way in his hurry to get to the line.

Didnt command the area, very quiet and didnt look confident enough where he was.

I understand the not playing a lot as mentioned by a few above, but still not getting basics right and looking that out of depth, nope move on please.

Get an u21 as cover and give him a run for that.

14 hours ago, gordy said:

He is not an option, sorry he isnt. He is nit good enough cover for injury/abscence. Has this damn thing about staying on the line, for Mings pass which was poor, immediately ran away from the ball when a coach would ssy close down. Almost turned his back all the way in his hurry to get to the line.

Didnt command the area, very quiet and didnt look confident enough where he was.

I understand the not playing a lot as mentioned by a few above, but still not getting basics right and looking that out of depth, nope move on please.

Get an u21 as cover and give him a run for that.

I'm sorry, but that's not true. He commanded  the area, caught the balls under pressure safely and started the attacks quickly. But Chelsea was just too big a mouthful

• 2 weeks later...
Â