Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Genuine answer - team A were incredibly wasteful, I mean 100,000 shots at goal and they miss every one, I’d say that’s criminally poor efficiency.

Team B were the opposite and incredibly efficient.

The beauty of football is there is no one way to win a game, shame so many people seem to have forgotten that.

So mings is an incredibly efficient finisher managing to touch that konsa shot into the top corner without even knowing it?  Or maybe a huge slice of luck got us the 3 points there.

16 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Yeh you misunderstood. 

It's more like on average they get 0.7points from a lot of these games. The way they're playing they get 0.7points from the games.  So when they win multiple in a row it's crazy lucky. The closer to the average point they get, the less lucky they are. 

I like you, you remind me of Con.

lets have some fun.

Newcastle are on 30 points from 24 games, so where the feck do you get 0.7 ppg from?!

You could pick out any set of results from any team in any season and say the same.

If you looked at Liverpool’s season and focused on the one game they didn’t win they have 1ppg.......totally redundant statistic.

2 minutes ago, Elton said:

Lol! Yes, you clearly misunderstand. Perhaps I’ll make up opinions you hold based on nothing?

I’m not anti Bruce at all. I wanted him to be our manager. He did well until his ‘3rd’ season. I didn’t call for him to be sacked but agreed with the board his time was up. I wish him well but it’s clear that Newcastle have had a lot of luck getting to the points tally they have. They have also played mainly very poor football, which some Newcastle supporting work friends agree with me about.

If this is not clear enough for you then try reading it slowly.

Ah okay, that was the problem, I read it too fast obviously, cheers for the advice.

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I like you, you remind me of Con.

lets have some fun.

Newcastle are on 30 points from 24 games, so where the feck do you get 0.7 ppg from?!

You could pick out any set of results from any team in any season and say the same.

If you looked at Liverpool’s season and focused on the one game they didn’t win they have 1ppg.......totally redundant statistic.

It was an example. I'll be amazed if Newcastle get 0.7points on average from those 4 fixtures..(well maybe United suck now so maybe they might reach it) 

Also you do realise there's a multi billion profit industry which pretty accurately predicts points per game teams get? You know how betting works right? Who exploit and win so much $ from those that look at things in 0,1,3 points only.

Haha and exactly. Sample sizes matter lol

Edited by Bugzy1991

If you watched some of their games like against Chelsea and Tottenham for example, it was literal daylight robbery. They've had quite a few of those kinds of games this season. You have to give credit to Bruce for making them hard to beat and giving them the platform to pull off these results in the first place.

Just now, Keyblade said:

If you watched some of their games like against Chelsea and Tottenham for example, it was literal daylight robbery. They've had quite a few of those kinds of games this season. You have to give credit to Bruce for making them hard to beat and giving them the platform to pull off these results in the first place.

This is the only point anybody is making.

Yeah they've been lucky, but they've put themselves in the position that when they get a slice of luck, they capitalise on it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is the only point anybody is making.

Yeah they've been lucky, but they've put themselves in the position that when they get a slice of luck, they capitalise on it.

It's an effective approach to the game...when it works, as it is now. But it's very flimsy. All it takes is the other team to score first for it to fall apart as we saw at VP. There are question marks over how sustainable it is, but if they keep this up even until the end of the season it would be some feat.

Was looking for the xG thread a couple weeks back for some reason. Didn't realize it was hiding out here.  xG is a tool nothing more. Funnily enough our xG has gotten worst since our switch to 3 in the back. We are allowing far less shots but now they are of much more efficient quality. 

• Like 1

They need to stop being gifted goals.  They can't stay up based entirely on daylight robbery.  They've stolen 4pts from a probable 1pt in the last week.  They need to start getting the results their performances deserve.  They are nowhere near safe yet because of the 20 teams in the league they're the one most capable of going on a 10 game losing streak.  They are **** garbage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, BOF said:

They need to stop being gifted goals.  They can't stay up based entirely on daylight robbery.  They've stolen 4pts from a probable 1pt in the last week.  They need to start getting the results their performances deserve.  They are nowhere near safe yet because of the 20 teams in the league they're the one most capable of going on a 10 game losing streak.  They are **** garbage.

And yet 24 games into the season their biggest losing streak is the 3 games they played between xmas & new year, They lost the first 2 games of the season but other than that they have got at least a point every other game. They are not losing 10 in a row anytime soon

We also lost the first 2 games & also had a 3 game losing streak but we have also had an additional 4 game losing streak on top of that

Edited by LakotaDakota

The fact that their CBs are their highest scorer's should give and indication of how they play, they win free kicks and score headed goals, or scrappy ones like we saw at Everton the other day.

I think some of it is complacency when it comes to playing them, better teams take their eye off the ball, but when they score one with 5 mins left they're good at defending the lead for a few minutes.

They've scored some lucky goals, but first and foremost they are actually proficient at defending.  

The problem is, will they be able to do this when the season has finished?  Will the same team want to continue to play with backs against the wall for another 38 games?

Their gameplan relies on total belief in the system.  When players get sick of heading the ball away from their 18 yard box, they'll struggle, because they haven't the firepower to outscore teams on a regular basis.

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 2

One thing I've noticed is that when Italy set up in international tournaments to get a clean sheet and a goal on the break, some posters on this forum like to gush about how Italians take seriously 'the art of defending', and I'm not seeing anyone making those posts here really.

It's something of an achievement in itself that Bruce is managing to get these clean sheets with average plodders like Ciaran Clark and Federico Fernandez.

On 23/01/2020 at 15:28, HanoiVillan said:

Is xG backward-looking (ie, telling me how the table *should* look now), forward-looking (ie, predicting that Liverpool and Newcastle will begin a period of poorer form) or both? I'm not sure I fully understand what it's doing/what its aim is. 

It's quite simply a load of bollocks and it's use as a predictor of anything is absolutely not established. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They're being bought by some Saudi Arabian according to the news

That's a distraction while they sign no one in January then 

How come they always seem to be on the verge of a massive takeover during every transfer window? Hilarious. 

And if it does come off, let's see how long wealthy owners want to stick with Steve Bruce.

Edited by DCJonah

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

How come they always seem to be on the verge of a massive takeover during every transfer window? Hilarious. 

And if it does come off, let's see how long wealthy owners want to stick with Steve Bruce.

FFP throttles the owners regardless of how much they have or want to spend. Makes it all quite pointless having a billionaire backer.

Â