Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

6 hours ago, Bugzy1991 said:

So yes then. 

Someone literally claimed the results he got wasn't due to luck. 

This is twice you done this in one week. Want me to quote him saying it was nothing to do with luck? 

Nice to hear your lack of replies about dyche...guess he's an awful manager against top 6 whilst setting up exactly the same 

Was this another lucky result tonight? 2-0 down into 90th minute, kept going, got a draw.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't see what Dyche has to do with anything.

I haven't seen anyone say bruce's results are NOTHING to do with luck. If so then I totally disagree with that opinion. Luck plays a big part.

My point was it's not just down to luck. And saying that doesn't mean you're calling Bruce a tactical genius.

Doesn't matter how much luck we would have had last week vs Man City, we didn't put ourselves in a position to capitalise on any. Newcastle do. It's not an accident.

Because you guys keep trying to claim that being hard to beat defensively means you have a greater point average and it's close to what they achieved?? 

Go look at how this topic started....it's INSANELY lucky they achieved 10 points from those 4 fixtures. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand sample size at all. 

If you try to claim it isn't luck, go find a good sample size with the way they're playing and the return they got. You won't even find a team who has half the point total over a sample. 

Dyche comes into it because apparently Bruce is a good at getting results against top teams whilst an equally or better defensive team gets absolutely tanked every game...

Almost like it's a short sample size and there's a huge amount of luck involved. 

Sure someone will come back with some nonsense that bruce is so good at getting results against top6. Dyche is in envy whilst being a better manager and is known to set up defenses to reduce shot quality of opposition. 

Steve Bruce is a god 

Edited by Bugzy1991

Evening Alex.

You have to laugh honestly, it's really funny. I could enjoy it a lot more if we weren't going down instead of them.

Here's the table going off xG for a treat.

image.thumb.png.82aedaeafbb632b238fb5dd8f4ead62a.png

Newcastle fans and Bruce won't care, and neither should they.

It's unbelievably efficient to have 13.5 points more than you "should" when you so often do nothing but sit in your box.

What should happen at the club now is they move forward over the next few seasons, use this good luck/efficiency as a blessing and a gateway into dictating/controlling games more.

This is absolutely unsustainable, just like the performances Aston Villa had under Bruce for 100 games were. The Villa ones though were far more criminal as he had one of the best squads in the Championship and was producing muck. I always said he'd have got less stick doing it in the Premier League because at least we'd be playing against good sides, not ones with a tenth of our budget. Bet he's not getting much stick off the Newcastle fans right now.

I wonder if Bruce will change?

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Evening Alex.

You have to laugh honestly, it's really funny. I could enjoy it a lot more if we weren't going down instead of them.

It's unbelievably efficient to have 13.5 points more than you "should" when you so often do nothing but sit in your box.

What should happen at the club now is they move forward over the next few seasons, use this good luck/efficiency as a blessing and a gateway into dictating/controlling games more.

This is absolutely unsustainable, just like the performances Aston Villa had under Bruce for 100 games were. The Villa ones though were far more criminal as he had one of the best squads in the Championship and was producing muck. I always said he'd have got less stick doing it in the Premier League because at least we'd be playing against good sides, not ones with a tenth of our budget. Bet he's not getting much stick off the Newcastle fans right now.

all that does is show how completely meaningless that xga stuff is, only 7 of them are within 2 goals scored totals & 3 of them within 2 goals against. some of them are well in to double figures off. May aswell just roll a dice to predict the score rather than take any notice of that. Out of the 60 things they could get right 7 are there or thereabouts correct. Seems to be as much use as Lawros predictions on BBC, & would say even those are more accurate...

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Because you guys keep trying to claim that being hard to beat defensively means you have a greater point average and it's close to what they achieved?? 

I don't know what this sentence means

Go look at how this topic started....it's INSANELY lucky they achieved 10 points from those 4 fixtures. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand sample size at all. 

Nobody has said they haven't been lucky

If you try to claim it isn't luck, go find a good sample size with the way they're playing and the return they got. You won't even find a team who has half the point total over a sample. 

Nobody has said they haven't been lucky

Dyche comes into it because apparently Bruce is a good at getting results against top teams whilst an equally or better defensive team gets absolutely tanked every game...

I still don't understand why you're bring Dyche into this.

Sure someone will come back with some nonsense that bruce is so good at getting results against top6. Dyche is in envy whilst being a better manager and is known to set up defenses to reduce shot quality of opposition. 

But nobody has said this

Steve Bruce is a god 

Nobody has said this.

You're arguing against yourself. Nobody has said the stuff you're angry about.

I'm gonna step out. Have a good day.

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Evening Alex.

Liverpool are insanely lucky to be winning the league, apparently.

Bruce won't change. This is what he's good at at this level. Getting a shit team to have alright results and keep a team in the league. It's not pretty, but it works.

Similarly Newcastle are probably over the moon because Ashley only wants to keep the club in the Prem until he makes some money off it. he'll have no ambition other than to not get relegated.

It's very much unsustainable long term. But they'll stay up this season. Just like Rafa did last season with a similar approach. Eventually Newcastle will go down again unless Ashley sells the club, but I bet Bruce will have gone by then

Edited by Stevo985

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Liverpool are insanely lucky to be winning the league, apparently.

Bruce won't change. This is what he's good at at this level. Getting a shit team to have alright results and keep a team in the league. It's not pretty, but it works.

Similarly Newcastle are probably over the moon because Ashley only wants to keep the club in the Prem until he makes some money off it. he'll have no ambition other than to not get relegated.

It's very much unsustainable long term. But they'll stay up this season. Just like Rafa did last season with a similar approach. Eventually Newcastle will go down again unless Ashley sells the club, but I bet Bruce will have gone by then

Yes its win win for a manager at newcastle really if things go bad its always Ashley’s fault, despite him spending millions on transfers 

For even more fun, here's a differently modelled xG table

image.thumb.png.17f9830854d26f527f5a3dec63be27d3.png

Couldn't tell you what the differences in their xG modelling are.

Apart from Liverpool not being top, that looks a lot more like a decent ranking of the teams I've seen this season in terms of performance.

I remember the year Leicester won the league, low possession, low squad rotation. People said they’d never keep it up, their luck couldn’t last. They found a system that worked for them. It’s unconventional but it worked a treat. Bruce to a much lesser degree seems to have something similar going on at Newcastle. If he keeps getting points on the board then he’ll stick to it I guess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

oh, and f**k newcastle. they'll still go down

They definitely won't. Not this season.

They probably need 6 more points. From 14 games.

They'll stay up with ease

10 minutes ago, Rodders said:

god I remember the days before people talked about this xg codswallop. Blissful memories.

oh, and f**k newcastle. they'll still go down

Xg is the biggest load of bollocks ever

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

all that does is show how completely meaningless that xga stuff is, only 7 of them are within 2 goals scored totals & 3 of them within 2 goals against. some of them are well in to double figures off. May aswell just roll a dice to predict the score rather than take any notice of that. Out of the 60 things they could get right 7 are there or thereabouts correct. Seems to be as much use as Lawros predictions on BBC, & would say even those are more accurate...

xga is another bullshit metric that has no practical relevance and means pretty much **** all.

• Like 4

Â