Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

Where Bruce is more intelligent than Smith is knowing his and the club he's managing level. For example Bruce would know that a team that finished 5th in the championship wouldn't be able go toe to toe with Man City trying to play them off the park, the only way a team at out level would have a hope of a win is to keep it tight and try and nick something. He wouldn't have us playing it out from the back vs Man City because he'd understand that we aren't good enough to do that. We might have still lost but only 1 or 2:0, but there could have been a small chance of a bit of luck meaning we nick a win or a draw but by playing it out from the back meant we were l constantly losing possession around our own box which meant there was 0% chance of any kind of luck. 

That's simply not true though

He plays that exact same way at home to Brighton in which they also had 30% possession 

They're on course to break PL records for lack of possession, they don't set up one way for man City and then another for lower in the league teams

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He plays that exact same way at home to Brighton in which they also had 30% possession 

They're on course to break PL records for lack of possession, they don't set up one way for man City and then another for lower in the league teams

And yet are heading to stay up more comfortably than us. 

For me Bruce is the extreme one side and Smith is the extreme the other. Ideally we have a manager in between because in a Premier league relegation fight you have to pick your battles which is where Smith isn't very good at. 

The thing is with Bruce's way in the premier league you'll get "lucky" wins under Smith you won't. Like I said we could do with a Smith Bruce hybrid manager. 

11 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Where Bruce is more intelligent than Smith is knowing his and the club he's managing level. For example Bruce would know that a team that finished 5th in the championship wouldn't be able go toe to toe with Man City trying to play them off the park, the only way a team at out level would have a hope of a win is to keep it tight and try and nick something. He wouldn't have us playing it out from the back vs Man City because he'd understand that we aren't good enough to do that. We might have still lost but only 1 or 2:0, but there could have been a small chance of a bit of luck meaning we nick a win or a draw but by playing it out from the back meant we were l constantly losing possession around our own box which meant there was 0% chance of any kind of luck. 

Not sure that's true - and to a certain extent, they are riding their luck (even though I'll credit them for keeping it tight and getting decent results).  Over their last 3 league games, they've had 5 shots on target but have somehow scored 4 and got 5 points (drawn with Wolves and Everton, beaten Chelsea).  They can't keep that up - as much as they'll undoubtedly grind out some 1-0 wins.

42 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Bruce had a club with Tuanzebe, Mcginn, Hourihane, Grealish, El Ghazi, Bolasie and Tammy Abraham down around 14-16th in the championship. 

Grealish promoted us.

Let's not compare them as managers.

I've corrected that for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

that correction doesn't work because bruce also had grealish, for the playoff run under him he also had an in form grealish

you can also argue this season that smith has grealish playing better than we've seen before

You are right..... Hang on i remember Bruce getting slated for playing him on the wing, remind me where Smith is playing him? 

Anyway back on point to get lucky wins you have to be in a position to get lucky. Which for a side competing where we are at the moment Bruce's way will get you into those positions unlike Smiths way. 

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Forget Brighton, a perfect example is when they came to VP. Had no intention of playing football and had no answer after we went 1-0. 

• Like 1

Trying to rate one manager against another is one of my most hated footballing debates. Certain managers fit certain teams. Certain managers get very lucky over a period of time and everyone thinks they're good. (Lambert, ranieri or whoever you spell his name)

Managers are such a small piece of the puzzle and are massively over rated on their influence on a side (unless we use extreme examples). 

There's a reason why majority of managers wages are lower than player fees/wages, there's a reason why there's a different market for them. They're not as influential as we all think. Unless they tank a side on purpose. 

Edited by Bugzy1991
  • Like 1

Bruce got stick for playing Jack at left mid not left wing, and Jack had to play defense in Bruce's system so often Jack was very deep. At LW under Dean, Jack is typically roaming and playing almost as high as the striker. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Bruce got stick for playing Jack at left mid not left wing, and Jack had to play defense in Bruce's system so often Jack was very deep. At LW under Dean, Jack is typically roaming and playing almost as high as the striker. 

It was also his worst run of form for us, while his stint at left wing now is his best run of form in his career, about to smash his way into the England team.

4 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

You are right..... Hang on i remember Bruce getting slated for playing him on the wing, remind me where Smith is playing him? 

Anyway back on point to get lucky wins you have to be in a position to get lucky. Which for a side competing where we are at the moment Bruce's way will get you into those positions unlike Smiths way. 

Alex you're trying too hard mate

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Signed Danny Rose on loan

His recent form has been garbage, his head is questionable with the comments about depression and already thinking of retirement

On paper hell be considered a good signing though and draw plaudits 

Danny Rose is a shit shit player, how he ended up at Tottenham so long ill never know. Dressing room trouble as well thinking he is a big shot

Â