Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

9 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Fairplay Steve Bruce. He should get the credit for how Newcastle are doing, I mean he would get the blame after all.

A reasonable position to take but I can’t help feel that all these fluky wins and late points is ridiculous luck rather than good management. If he thinks his squad isn’t good enough to play any other way then fair enough I suppose.

• Like 1

Oh I think a lot of it is blind luck dont get me wrong and his luck will run out. Which will make the bitter recriminations even more fun when they arrive :) But for now he should be taking the victory lap. Hopefully he starts calling out the "hysterical" mags now when he is up. to make the ride down even more nasty :)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

8 hours ago, Genie said:

I remember the year Leicester won the league, low possession, low squad rotation. People said they’d never keep it up, their luck couldn’t last. They found a system that worked for them. It’s unconventional but it worked a treat. Bruce to a much lesser degree seems to have something similar going on at Newcastle. If he keeps getting points on the board then he’ll stick to it I guess.

And then they reverted to the mean the next season, which I'm fairly confident will happen to Newcastle too if they keep playing the same way.

17 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They definitely won't. Not this season.

They probably need 6 more points. From 14 games.

They'll stay up with ease

I dunno. 

They'll need a slump, but you look how close it is, it only takes 2-3 weeks of results against them, their jammy luck not happening, and suddenly they're back down there. Norwich are obviously toast. Bournemouth, I dunno if they can recover sufficiently, then between us, west ham, watford, brighton, newcastle and burnley are contenders. It's still only January, a long time to go. 

Personally I'm confident we will be absolutely fine, and will eventually pull away. Burnley will do enough, and I like Brighton, even if their loss to Bournemouth wasn't great for them, and under Potter I think they've got a solid future, and should also survive. So personally, of the weakest teams, it's then 2 from Newcastle, West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth to join Norwich. 

Newcastle have a useful gap right now, and you might well be right, but I can easily see them being pulled back down into the mix over the next month. 

36 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I dunno. 

They'll need a slump, but you look how close it is, it only takes 2-3 weeks of results against them, their jammy luck not happening, and suddenly they're back down there. Norwich are obviously toast. Bournemouth, I dunno if they can recover sufficiently, then between us, west ham, watford, brighton, newcastle and burnley are contenders. It's still only January, a long time to go. 

Personally I'm confident we will be absolutely fine, and will eventually pull away. Burnley will do enough, and I like Brighton, even if their loss to Bournemouth wasn't great for them, and under Potter I think they've got a solid future, and should also survive. So personally, of the weakest teams, it's then 2 from Newcastle, West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth to join Norwich. 

Newcastle have a useful gap right now, and you might well be right, but I can easily see them being pulled back down into the mix over the next month. 

They're close, but there's lots of points and teams between them and the relegation zone.

Like I said 36 points is USUALLY enough to stay up, and they're only 6 points away from that with 14 games to go. Even if they need the 4 points to get to the magic 40 point mark, which is rarely necessary, they only need 10 points from 14 games. They can essentially afford to go on a run of nailed on relegation form and still stay up.

Obviously it's possible, but it would be a hell of a collapse. I think it's far more likely they'll stay up with ease. 

At this stage it's probably better for us that Newcastle don't get dragged back into it, because for that to happen it will have to mean that the teams below them do very well between now and the end of the season, which of course we don't want to happen, plus they've still got to play all of Norwich, Burnley, Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford, and Brighton, the dynamics of the situation might change on the day of those games, but looking at it now, we probably could do with them doing well in all of those fixtures.

On 22/01/2020 at 17:32, Stevo985 said:

Liverpool are insanely lucky to be winning the league, apparently.

Well by the margin they're doing it by then yes, they are. Obviously they're getting lucky.  Unless you're suggesting winning 21 games and drawing 1 over 22 games is their standard now. Which obviously isn't true.

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

Probably for The Games Gone thread but surely goals is enough of a stat than expected goals

That totally depends what youre using it for. And I'm not even a fan of xg all that much. It has  its flawed but its also better in some areas. 

Edited by Bugzy1991

3 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Well by the margin they're doing it by then yes, they are. Obviously they're getting lucky.  Unless you're suggesting winning 21 games and drawing 1 over 22 games is their standard now. Which obviously isn't true.

Well the XG shows they shouldn't even be winning the league. So that's a hell of a lot of luck to be winning it by the margin they are instead.

Or maybe it's a combination of ability and capitalising on any luck that comes their way

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well the XG shows they shouldn't even be winning the league. So that's a hell of a lot of luck to be winning it by the margin they are instead.

Or maybe it's a combination of ability and capitalising on any luck that comes their way

Yes they will be 1 or 2 points below city like the previous season. What's the issue there? 

City have been getting unlucky in games and Liverpool lucky. Not that out of ordinary there. 

4 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Yes they will be 1 or 2 points below city like the previous season. What's the issue there? 

City have been getting unlucky in games and Liverpool lucky. Not that out of ordinary there. 

So you're saying the reason Liverpool are 16 points clear of Man City is entirely down to luck?

Nothing to do with them being one of the best teams the world has ever seen (as much as it pains me to say that)

By that margin, yes. Do they deserve to be leading? Yes possibly/probably. By 13 points with 2 games in hand? No. They are not better than city this year by that margin and it isn't close.

Are you telling me Liverpool have turned into a 21 gaming winning side and only drawing one? Klopp has solved football. Whilst city losing 5 games at this stage of the season.

Edited by Bugzy1991

17 hours ago, Elton said:

A reasonable position to take but I can’t help feel that all these fluky wins and late points is ridiculous luck rather than good management. If he thinks his squad isn’t good enough to play any other way then fair enough I suppose.

Ridiculous luck.

He's managing these wins with what was/is a substandard squad (as defined on here) and with half of it missing through injury.

I guess when they lose it's bad luck right?

We might as well just start throwing dice to determine the results of matches......

2 hours ago, Bugzy1991 said:

By that margin, yes. Do they deserve to be leading? Yes possibly/probably. By 13 points with 2 games in hand? No. They are not better than city this year by that margin and it isn't close.

Are you telling me Liverpool have turned into a 21 gaming winning side and only drawing one? Klopp has solved football. Whilst city losing 5 games at this stage of the season.

Are you for real or are you part of the new wave of Trolls we seem to have onboarded in the past few years?

22 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Ridiculous luck.

He's managing these wins with what was/is a substandard squad (as defined on here) and with half of it missing through injury.

I guess when they lose it's bad luck right?

We might as well just start throwing dice to determine the results of matches......

I don’t think you understand the point I was making..

Anyone who doesn’t think they have had a lot luck with results either hasn’t watched them or doesn't understand football or sport in general.

Edited by Elton

Newcastle don't have a sub standard squad, presuming that, was people's mistake in the summer, they have a squad that's finished midtable the last two seasons, and spent another £50m plus in the summer improving it, and also have the Longstaff brothers coming through, both of them very good players. Hate to say it, but not many of our best eleven would get into their best eleven. Bruce is doing an adequate job as their manager, but it's not like he's performing some sort of miracle.

• Like 2

Â