Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

2 hours ago, Genie said:

640981-Samuel-Goldwyn-Quote-The-harder-I

Are you saying he’s doing better because he works harder than Smith or is this a more general point?!

If you were making a point about their players working harder than ours helping them get those points then I agree.

47 minutes ago, useless said:

The people keep going on and on and talking negatively or positively about Bruce are just as bad as each other and won't shut up and give it a rest. No one cares if you like him or not. Well that's what I'm wondering if anyone's thinking.

I think you’re after this button:

D45FECAB-B598-41DC-A260-5E5158D0EE78.jpeg.748d8d96c6f34eddded0986030caf92c.jpeg
You are right that it gets a bit boring, but it’s kind of an expected topic in this thread!

49 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Are you saying he’s doing better because he works harder than Smith or is this a more general point?!

If you were making a point about their players working harder than ours helping them get those points then I agree.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Smith or Villa. Just this suggestion that Bruce is only doing well, picking up points against the better teams in the division because he’s lucky. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with Smith or Villa. Just this suggestion that Bruce is only doing well, picking up points against the better teams in the division because he’s lucky. 

Fair enough. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

Are you seriously suggesting they get close to 10 points playing the same way on average? 

He's got incredibly lucky with his points total in those games. To suggest luck hasn't played a huge role is remarkable. Probably gets less than 3 points over a large sample of the games played.

Steve Bruce really is a tactical genius against top teams on this forum. 

Edited by Bugzy1991

1 hour ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Are you seriously suggesting they get close to 10 points playing the same way on average? 

He's got incredibly lucky with his points total in those games. To suggest luck hasn't played a huge role is remarkable. Probably gets less than 3 points over a large sample of the games played.

He's not saying that at all (I don't think)

What he's saying is you can't blame luck for good results like that. Yes it plays a part, it always will. Newcastle aren't going to beat Man City unless they have some luck. If Man City turn up and play 100% then NEwcastle will lose. Simple as that.

What you have to do when you play Man City is be so good that if they slip up or aren't quite at their best or you get a bit of luck, you're in a position to capitalise.

We were 4-0 down against City at half time. If we'd worked harder and been more defensively organised and got to half time at 0-0, then some luck in the second half might mean we snatch a 1-0 win. But we weren't in the position.

Newcastle play turgid football. But they usually defend well, and stay in games which means yes if they get a big slice of luck then they snatch it and end up with a smash and grab result.

Nobody is saying he's a tactical genius. Just that you can't put it all down to luck. Similarly you can't put it all down to tactics and good performance. It's a combination.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bugzy1991 said:

There's an element of "luck", as there is with every team, but they don't really take too many hammerings and are well set defensively. They're only a bad run away from being sucked back into the relegation battle too, so not like he's working miracles.  They're just doing well.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

There's an element of "luck", as there is with every team, but they don't really take too many hammerings and are well set defensively. They're only a bad run away from being sucked back into the relegation battle too, so not like he's working miracles.  They're just doing well.

This.

Like I said before, it's a very similar approach and outcome that Benitez took. It's a sensible one

31 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Element of luck? It's probably upper 90% luck. 

Find me some data which allows that many shots at their goal whilst having so little opportunities themselves against top teams and it being even half sustainable. Let alone 10 points from those fixtures.

You just won't be able to. Newcastle got insanely lucky. No debate about it. 

You can definitely blame luck for it. 

I'm just surprised Bruce is more of a tactical genius than dyche being able to set up a bus and magically deny opposition from scoring. Bruce is one of the greats against top 6 opposition whilst in a budget due to his amazing defensive setups. Dyche is jealous

Edited by Bugzy1991
  • Haha 1

Burnley have got absolutely tanked by all the top teams this season. So what's the magic potion Bruce is employing that dyche isn't? Dyche is seen as a way better defensive and counter attacking manager as Bruce. 

Maybe Bruce somehow creates some voodoo before the game to stop opposition from scoring and his team scoring nearly every chance they get. Shame he can't employ the same throughout the rest of the season with all the other teams.

Maybe it's just luck and sample size of 4 games...

Edited by Bugzy1991

50 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

I'm just surprised Bruce is more of a tactical genius than dyche being able to set up a bus and magically deny opposition from scoring. Bruce is one of the greats against top 6 opposition whilst in a budget due to his amazing defensive setups. Dyche is jealous

Has anyone said anything even close to this?

Yes when you think there isn't a huge part of luck involved with getting 10points out of 12 with those fixtures. If you don't think most of it is down to luck, you have to think it's down to the tactical genius of Steve Bruce.

So what's the reasons why dyche is failing miserably. But Bruce can do it? 

It's huge amount of luck over 4 fixtures.

Edited by Bugzy1991

56 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Yes when you think there isn't a huge part of luck involved with getting 10points out of 12 with those fixtures. If you don't think most of it is down to luck, you have to think it's down to the tactical genius of Steve Bruce.

So what's the reasons why dyche is failing miserably. But Bruce can do it? 

It's huge amount of luck over 4 fixtures.

So no then :) 

Edited by Stevo985

So yes then. 

Someone literally claimed the results he got wasn't due to luck. 

This is twice you done this in one week. Want me to quote him saying it was nothing to do with luck? 

Nice to hear your lack of replies about dyche...guess he's an awful manager against top 6 whilst setting up exactly the same 

Edited by Bugzy1991

2 hours ago, Bugzy1991 said:

So yes then. 

Someone literally claimed the results he got wasn't due to luck. 

This is twice you done this in one week. Want me to quote him saying it was nothing to do with luck? 

Nice to hear your lack of replies about dyche...guess he's an awful manager against top 6 whilst setting up exactly the same 

I don't see what Dyche has to do with anything.

I haven't seen anyone say bruce's results are NOTHING to do with luck. If so then I totally disagree with that opinion. Luck plays a big part.

My point was it's not just down to luck. And saying that doesn't mean you're calling Bruce a tactical genius.

Doesn't matter how much luck we would have had last week vs Man City, we didn't put ourselves in a position to capitalise on any. Newcastle do. It's not an accident.

• Like 2

Reminds me of Sunderland before they went down, like an unflushable turd. What they are doing is incredible unsustainable.

Saw a little while back one of the Twitter football stat guys posted some PDO stats, which supposedly is the main indicator of how lucky a side has been from numerous stats and they right up there; second or third from memory.

Also 20th in the league on expected goals, shots, shots on target, possession and quite a few more. Absolute miracle they aren’t rock bottom 

• Like 1

2 shots on target all game

To be fair they had 44% possession which is good got them

They aren't going down, if you look at the posts from the start of the season the anticipated discontent from the fans hasn't happened, the toxic atmosphere that drags everyone down simply isn't there, i think that was the main reason people thought they'd be in the shit, Bruce wouldn't be able to rise above the unhappy geordies, to be fair to him he has, the quality isn't there but the results are, keeping the fans quiet (and more surprisingly still actually there, 50k last home game) 

Hopefully it's at West ham instead 

• Like 1

Â