Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I do agree to some extent. 

But what we saw happens at nearly all clubs and how many managers display the arrogance Bruce did or say things like "that should shut a few up" when he finally gets a result?

Could you imagine Smith reacting in the same way?

No, I couldn't imagine Smith reacting in the same way. Smith seems calmer, and more willing to 'play the game'. But that's not necessarily virtuous; there's a balance between being agreeable, and stating that something is wrong if it seems that way to you.  

Sometimes it's necessary to do a bit of unpaid overtime, or work through your lunch break, but sometimes it's worth asking whether those are unfair expectations. 

19 hours ago, Genie said:

So people write pages and pages of personal insults about him, abuse his son, throw things at him and because he said “that should shut a few people up” (which is bang on the money) everybody wets their pants.

As I said before, this is why so many Villa fans dislike him, because he had a tiny little nibble back at them and who’d blame him.

nah id walked away before then, as Ive said I think he's part of an outdated club of English managers who constantly play ugly horrible football but grind results whilst purchasing old mate players and leaving in their wake a club in tatters, its unsustainable and damaging and I never wanted him here, he's alright if that's what you want for your club, get up at all costs, stay up at all costs but in terms of future and progression etc he doesn't tick any box, to me bruce is pointless, he's ambitionless, he's the death knell of your enjoyment of football, I couldn't justify the expense of watching a club under his management with the aim of doing a whole lot of not a **** lot

where I would admit im maybe overly harsh on bruce is that in reality he was merely the cherry on top, whereas I gave the likes of McLeish time Villa as a shambles of a club had worn my patience out by the time bruce got here, my enjoyment had already gone

this is before the fan stuff and even before the media stuff which I knew existed but not how bad it would be (some of the excuses and then the smoke blowing up his ass is ridiculous) the fan stuff to me is just a mark of the man, I wasn't offended or shocked by that it was more met of a shrug of the shoulders and a what do you expect that's who he is

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Play-offs was the minimum, I said. With the fixtures we had at the start of that season, we should really have been around the Top 3. A sole win against Rotherham to move us upto 6th should not have 'shut people up'. Fair enough I thought that we were lower than we were. But drawing against Reading and Ipswich, who were atrocious that season, was appalling.

There was a great graphic going round after Smith had been in the job for a while, where it showed the league position of all the teams that we faced. With Bruce facing (and often failing to beat) most of the teams in the bottom half, and leaving Smith to play all the higher placed teams. That's why we should have been higher than we were after Bruce got the Rotherham win. A lot of our winnable games came at the start of the season, leaving Smith an almost impossible task.

Villa were 2 points off third when we beat Rotherham. Rotherham has 1 point less than us before kick off. It was the 8th game of the season.

Still reinforces my view that the hysteria around the results that went before was OTT. Bruce shouldn’t have had a snipe, but he was right in the general sentiment that Villa fans were going over the top about the results at that stage. 

We had an easy start to last season though, we got a last second equaliser vs Blackburn and Brentford and couldnt beat a shit 10 man Ipswich team who were relegated with ease. We also took a thrashing from Sheffield United. Not to mention it was so soon after the disgraceful playoff final performance

Bruce got a lot more rope than some Villa managers even Smith and he made it sound like the fans were out to get him. Only Lambert got more time

I think if he'd stayed manager of Sheffield Wednesday the whole Bruce thing would have faded away as he was in another league, the fact he moved to a club, which many think are fellow candidates for relegation, has brought things to the fore again. 

Hope you're not actually expecting us to get anywhere close to 10 points from those fixtures. Totally unrealistic and just because Bruce managed to be extremely lucky over those games doesn't mean that's where the benchmark should be set. 

One win would be a good return from those fixtures.

Edited by Bugzy1991
  • Haha 1

Of course not 10, to expect that would be unrealistic. What im saying is im hoping we’ll be much improved by the time these games come around and should be looking to take points from a Kane-less Spurs, a Rashford-less Utd and a very inconsistent Chelsea. All three at Villa Park, 4 points would be nice. 

1 hour ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Totally unrealistic and just because Bruce managed to be extremely lucky over those games doesn't mean that's where the benchmark should be set. 

640981-Samuel-Goldwyn-Quote-The-harder-I

Edited by Genie

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Tottenham 0-1 Newcastle         

Newcastle 1-0 Man Utd              

Newcastle 2-2 Man City              

Newcastle 1-0 Chelsea               

Thats 10 very unexpected points theyve managed to gain, which is why they’ll probably stay up. Something we need to achieve second half of the season to stand any chance.

Fair play to Bruce and the Geordies getting those results but it's extremely hard to take as a Villa fan, if each of those games were played 100 times over they would probably struggle to pick up TEN points!

I'm glad I'm not watching their brand of football week in week out, having said that our equivalent fixtures (albeit our games against United & Chelsea were away from home) show that we are pretty similar in terms of our possession, shots on/off target (overall) just that we have conceded a lot more shots against us in these fixtures. That surprised me but I feel at least we are trying to play the right way where as Bruce is well.. doing what Bruce does!  

We are currently 7 points adrift from them in the league but I think it will be a lot closer come the 17th May - Here's hoping!🤞

3 hours ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Hope you're not actually expecting us to get anywhere close to 10 points from those fixtures. Totally unrealistic and just because Bruce managed to be extremely lucky over those games doesn't mean that's where the benchmark should be set. 

One win would be a good return from those fixtures.

Nothing to do with luck.

They are defensively sound. The players bleed for the cause. They get what they deserve.

If we were as solid at the back as them we would be much better off.

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Tottenham 0-1 Newcastle 

Newcastle 1-0 Man Utd

Newcastle 2-2 Man City

Newcastle 1-0 Chelsea

Thats 10 very unexpected points theyve managed to gain, which is why they’ll probably stay up. Something we need to achieve second half of the season to stand any chance.

We did exactly the same under Lambert in 2014?got absolutely freak wins against Arsenal Liverpool and 6th placed Soton away, and Chelsea at home. 12 points we, as we are seeing now, should never have got. And we only just stayed up. This doesn't bode well for Newcastle if its just freak wins keeping you alive

2 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

We did exactly the same under Lambert in 2014?got absolutely freak wins against Arsenal Liverpool and 6th placed Soton away, and Chelsea at home. 12 points we, as we are seeing now, should never have got. And we only just stayed up. This doesn't bode well for Newcastle if its just freak wins keeping you alive

You probably need some freak results or it just adds more pressure in the games against the teams around you.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You probably need some freak results or it just adds more pressure in the games against the teams around you.

Oh yeah but that might be the opening day win at arsenal, and maybe a point against Soton and pool. We'd still have gone down then. 

Edit: Sorry we did only get a point at a field that season. We actually beat man City at home (I knew there was another unlikely result in there) 

Edited by VillaJ100

No questioning Bruce results but putting 10 behind the ball pulis style doesn't make him a better manager than when he was here. 

Its effective but its not fun to watch. If paying hard earned money you want to be entertained

The people keep going on and on and talking negatively or positively about Bruce are just as bad as each other and won't shut up and give it a rest. No one cares if you like him or not. Well that's what I'm wondering if anyone's thinking.

26 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's exactly what Benitez did.

Played boring and defensive against the big sides. Avoid getting tanked and nick a win here and there.

Target the winnable games a bit more, which sometimes pays off and sometimes doesn't.

Benitez = genius
Bruce = lucky dinosaur

Ages = the same

To say it's nothing to do with luck is laughable. Steve Bruce is a tactical genius that he's guarenteed 10points in those 4 fixtures. Outsmarting all other managers around him and out classing the top teams. I wonder how amazing this tactical genius record is when managing other teams on average against the top sides.

With such an amazing return and non luck approach, I'm amazed he's not managing a much better team

Surprised to see Burnley getting absolutely tanked playing somewhat similar against top teams. Maybe Bruce is just better than dyche at managing to use his mindpower to make opposition miss a million shots whilst they score with only 2 over such a short sample.

Edited by Bugzy1991

Â