Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

Wood, 30

Burn, 30

Trippier, 31,

Pope, 30 (ok, doesn't matter as much for a GK)

You have said in the past we have been 'short term' with our older signings but Newcastle are doing the same?

first 3 all got 2 year contracts, its to steady Newcastle and then they will power forward with others like Guimaraes

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

first 3 all got 2 year contracts, its to steady Newcastle and then they will power forward with others like Guimaraes

So they will go on free transfers? What did they cost, around £50m?

1 minute ago, Xela said:

So they will go on free transfers? What did they cost, around £50m?

Maybe but money is no object for them, we cant really criticise consider the amount of players we let go for nothing over the years

Newcastle squad were probably a season or 2 behind us before Howe came in with the mess Bruce/Ashley left them in

• Confused 1

They had to buy players a step down from what they would have wanted in January because they still looked likely to be relegated at that point. Targett has been bought because he was basically ever-present in a side that had Champions League-qualifying form in the second half of the season, and he's younger anyway. Pope could play for a Europe-qualifying side and age doesn't really matter for goalies.

If they buy lots more players like Wood, Burn and Targett then perhaps the fans should get worried, because I agree they probably aren't going to carry them to Europe. But each of the players they've bought has made sense, and Guimaraes in particular is excellent. Their business has been reasonable; the only nice thing is they don't yet seem to be considered a hugely desirable destination, as we've seen with both Botman and Ekitike.

Just now, Zatman said:

Maybe but money is no object for them, we cant really criticise consider the amount of players we let go for nothing over the years

Newcastle squad were probably a season or 2 behind us before Howe came in with the mess Bruce/Ashley left them in

They still have to operate within the confusing rules of FPP surely? 

Last 3 seasons Newcastle have been 13, 12 and 11

We have been 17, 11 and 14

I didn't see them as being a season or two behind us? I think we're at a similar place tbh.

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

They still have to operate within the confusing rules of FPP surely? 

Last 3 seasons Newcastle have been 13, 12 and 11

We have been 17, 11 and 14

I didn't see them as being a season or two behind us? I think we're at a similar place tbh.

Woodman 

Murphy Fernandez Schar Lascelles Ritchie 

Hayden  Almiron Willock

St Maximin Wilson

Subs: Fraser, Joelinton and Longstaff

That was the team that started at Villa Park start of last season.... How many gets in the Villa team?

We were definitely ahead of them by a clear distance and they werent missing anybody big from the squad except Dubravka and maybe Shelvey

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Nick Pope for 10 mill. Another good sensible deal. In fact its a brilliant deal.

I had heard "undisclosed fee", £10m would be too cheap to be true for in my opinion, the best English qualified GK. So much for clubs demanding a premium to sell to the Toon Sheiks, or so much for FFP if you can get away with saying you have bought a keeper for a fraction of his actual value. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, John said:

I had heard "undisclosed fee", £10m would be too cheap to be true for in my opinion, the best English qualified GK. So much for clubs demanding a premium to sell to the Toon Sheiks, or so much for FFP if you can get away with saying you have bought a keeper for a fraction of his actual value. :rolleyes:

I was thinking maybe he had a relegation release clause . Because 10 mill for him is insane value 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Biggest change they can make is clubs in Europe aren't in the league cup

Will mean a fresh team in the EL every season

They will bin the Cup off before they let that happen 

i called for that a while back. it would be brilliant and i highly doubt any of the clubs playing in europe would complain.

the sponsors might have something to say about it though....it would massively devalue the competition

26 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i called for that a while back. it would be brilliant and i highly doubt any of the clubs playing in europe would complain.

the sponsors might have something to say about it though....it would massively devalue the competition

That's the shit thing for me, there is so little value left in the competition anyway but if they did try and save it the big 6 and therefore the money men would rather just pull the plug

I'd hope that if there wasn't the 6 and it was us, Everton, Newcastle, Leeds etc we'd all properly go for it and it would be a great competition, even the top championship teams would go all out for it

Man City winning it 4 times in a row or whatever is shit, there's been 2 non top 6 winners in the last 10 years, 4 in the last 20, in the last 20 years 11 of the 40 teams to play a final ahve come from outside the top 6, 2 finals were between two teams outside the top 6 it is roughly 1 every 10 years 

Its garbage 

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Woodman 

Murphy Fernandez Schar Lascelles Ritchie 

Hayden  Almiron Willock

St Maximin Wilson

Subs: Fraser, Joelinton and Longstaff

That was the team that started at Villa Park start of last season.... How many gets in the Villa team?

We were definitely ahead of them by a clear distance and they werent missing anybody big from the squad except Dubravka and maybe Shelvey

How many of Trippier, Targett, Wood and Pope get into our first team? Is there anyone they've brought other than that Guimeres fella that we'd want starting for us? I can't think of any.

They've definitely improved themselves, I'd take our business over theirs though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

How many of Trippier, Targett, Wood and Pope get into our first team? Is there anyone they've brought other than that Guimeres fella that we'd want starting for us? I can't think of any.

They've definitely improved themselves, I'd take our business over theirs though.

Only one I'd consider is Trippier but even there I think I'd prefer Cash. 

• Like 1

Botman.

Cant decide if we should have been all over that or not, ie: is he as good as he is touted, or is he not quite all that?

the fact we didnt go for him, tells me he's gonna be world class.....

Â