Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

On 10/03/2021 at 18:53, bannedfromHandV said:

Well sorry but I dispute that, you wrote and therefore insinuated that he’s never signed a good unknown player and asked for an example, I offered John McGinn, as someone else pointed out Andy Robertson for Hull too.

Pretty sure he brought some good players into Wigan but can’t be arsed to check.

Like I say, signing decent/good players isn’t a Bruce problem, it’s more what he does with them afterwards that tends to be the issue.

As always with Bruce the truth of things is a little under the surface.

Take Wigan for example and the success of the Central American players, Palacious, Valencia, Figeroua who were excellent signings yet totally out of character for Bruce both before and since. 

It all happened because of Bruce’s odd friendship with Wenger while Small Heath manager, remember all the Arsenal loans he used to get?

Palacious was on trial at Arsenal, Wenger rated him but didn’t need him so recommended him to Bruce. He went to Small Heath then all the horrible stuff happened with his brother, Bruce went to Wigan and took him with him.

It gave Bruce a connection in CA and through it he signed the other players. A quick search would I’m sure turn up quotes from Bruce saying as much and that surprise surprise it wasn’t down to scouting.

I don’t know the background to Robertson and Maguire for Hull but wouldn’t be surprised to find similar serendipity.

Bruce signs a lot of players, has done throughout his career. Some turn out good but most don’t and in my view the later is more of a reflection of him than the former.

As you say he has no idea what to do with them when he gets them as we saw and as one of his former signings stated last week, so he just signs some more.

Therefore the idea of giving him credit for a good unknown player is unwarranted. That he stumbled across a few in a 20 year career where he signed a lot of players is surely to be expected and as in the case of Wigan isn’t entirely worthy of credit.

As for McGinn he certainly wasn’t unknown, Celtic wanted him and half the PL had looked at him but just not taken the punt.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

In big trouble. Them and Sheffield utd are the worst sides in the league. Absolutely unforgivable how we only took 1 point from those 2 recently 

We could have been on for a really historic season. We should have at least 10 more points but losing to all the absolute no uppers of the league has ruined that. 

20 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

We could have been on for a really historic season. We should have at least 10 more points but losing to all the absolute no uppers of the league has ruined that. 

Honestly closer to 15 points. It's so frustrating, but also kind of promising as it bodes well for next season. Another PL season under our belt, more lessons learned and things to iron out, another transfer window. We'll be a problem next year if Jack stays I've no doubt.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

To be fair he probably would. 

Yep I was not joking short term I think he would do a job.

Hopefully they stick with Bruce though as we all want that last game showdown.

Last time he had a one off game against Fulham to secure Premier League we know what happened.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Yep I was not joking short term I think he would do a job.

Hopefully they stick with Bruce though as we all want that last game showdown.

Last time he had a one off game against Fulham to secure Premier League we know what happened.

I would love to see Tim Sherwood back in a job. Not at Villa obviously!  
1576474038_download(62).jpg.d559dc1cb672e8acbf3c39f1502c4b8a.jpg
I think he could really lift a club if he got the right backroom staff to support him. 

:crylaugh:

Newcastle transfer news: Miguel Almiron admits he would like to "play in a team that fights more"

Newcastle midfielder Miguel Almiron has prompted more uncertainty over his future at St. James’ Park with comments made to Paraguayan radio.

Almiron’s comments follow those made by his agent, Daniel Campos, earlier in the season.

Back in November, Campos appeared to suggest that his client would already have left Newcastle had it not been for the pandemic (via ChronicleLive).

Speaking to Paraguayan radio station Futbol 970, Campos said: “Miguel Almirón was being observed by Atletico Madrid but no offer was made. When everything returns to normal, Miguel will take a leap in quality.

Miguel’s work rate at Newcastle and Paraguay has been great. If it wasn’t for the pandemic, he would’ve been elsewhere. Perhaps he would like to play on a team that has a lot of possession. Maybe in June, he’ll make that jump.”

Appearing on ABC Cardinal on Friday, Almiron himself said: “I would like to play in a team that fights more.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/news/newcastle-transfer-news-miguel-almiron-admits-he-would-like-to-play-in-a-team-that-fights-more

Sure this will go down well 😬

• Haha 1

TBH I can definitely believe he's a player who would do well in a better team 🤷‍♂️

Newcastle are going to have to face these problems sooner or later; Almiron and Saint-Maximin probably can get into better clubs, and we've seen that when they're not playing, they have absolutely nothing. Callum Wilson isn't going to keep them up on his own.

• Like 1

Â