Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

15 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

They had John Cross from The Mirror on Talkshite earlier today and he was talking about this signing and without any irony actually said “they love a number 9 up there”....

I’m yet to discover which teams fans don’t like number 9’s.

Meanwhile old drunken Oliver Holt claimed the other day that Newcastle used to be every football fans second team!

What is wrong with these people.

Yeah but geordies love a number 9 Trent...........as you wrote yourself most teams just like them ;)

• Like 2

On 23/07/2019 at 21:41, Zatman said:

About 10 years ago they signed Xisco in a what was then a large enough transfer fee and nobody had seen him play. it was bizarre then and he was woeful, this seems similat

Kevin Keegan book that came out recently has great chapter on this. According to him they signed Xisco and a Uruguayan player basically as a favour to agent who got them Coloccini and Jonas Gutierez, even told Keegan he didn't actually have to play them.

Also a great tale on Milner coming to us. Keegan was only convinced to sell him to us when he was told they were in talks to sign Bastian Schweinstiger. Turns out they bid 5m and Bayern laughed them off the phone.:lol:

He also wanted Modric but was overruled by TonI Jimenez who said he was too lightweight for English football.

Even in those early years Mike Ashley was very hands off and basically left the managing director and various other associates to run the club and make signings, this was when Dennis Wise was part of that team and then Joe Kinnear wierdly turned up after Keegan left.

14 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

It's not that bad - his stats are pretty similar to Wesley...but at pretty much twice the price (which I'm pretty sure is the only reason people are questioning it).

FWIW I think he looks good, but raw. Whether he improves enough under Bruce's team's coaching to fulfill his potential will be the big question.

Bruce usually a tricky one, yes he's not the long term solutions. But he could build stability up there. 

Anyway, part of these media people I don't how they think. When Barcodes or Spammers spend this kind of money then they've getting the best. But for us most of them are flops.

Well, I prefer it to be that way for now. Once they know the strategy they might just give us more credit which may add pressure. Look at everybody and what they're saying about the Dogheads (although they deserve credit).

I wonder is Mike Ashley is about to lose the title of "good businessman, terrible football club owner". If Sports Direct is getting into distress he'll sink very quickly.

'Shambles' as Sports Direct's results delayed

There is confusion surrounding the release of results from Mike Ashley's Sports Direct, after the firm failed to publish them early on Friday morning.

In a statement, Sports Direct said it was "still finalising" the results, but anticipated publishing them on Friday.

It is extremely unusual for results to be delayed in this way. One analyst called events "an utter shambles".

The full-year results have already been delayed once - originally they were due to be reported on 18 July.

At the time, Sports Direct blamed the delay on uncertainty over the future trading performance of the House of Fraser chain, which it bought last year, as well as increased scrutiny of its auditor Grant Thornton. It also indicated that it might not achieve its profits forecast.

'Disregard for shareholders'

In a short statement released on Friday at midday, Sports Direct said: "We are currently still finalising our preliminary results and will update you again at 14:00."

The firm had earlier apologised after delaying the release of its results and cancelling an investor presentation at the last minute.

Neil Wilson, chief market analyst for Markets.com, said the events were "a total and utter shambles" that "betrays a number of problems at the business after [Mr] Ashley embarked on his rather random acquisition spree."

"Above all it betrays a total disregard for shareholders," he said.

Analysis

By Simon Gompertz, BBC personal finance reporter

"We've stopped being surprised by Sports Direct," said an exasperated investor outside its cancelled results presentation just off Oxford Street this morning.

Delaying the figures once is an embarrassment. Putting them off again is being described as a shambles.

Bewildered journalists, investors and City analysts were left to speculate about the reasons.

That's not good for a company engaged in one of the most challenging tasks on the High Street, breathing new life into House of Fraser.

One investor's view is that Sports Direct's head office is "run on a shoestring" so that handling the House of Fraser situation was always likely to be rocky.

UK-listed companies normally publish their results at or close to 07:00, before the London markets open at 08:00.

Sports Direct shares fell in early trading on the London stock market before recovering.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49124375

Edited by Genie

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he was just doing it to drive the share price down so he could buy up more shares himself then release record results to drive the price back up.

Also wouldn't surprise me at all if they are struggling as a lot of smaller sports retailers I work with have been opening stores left right and centre for the last couple of years.

Beginning of the end?

Mike Ashley’s Sports Direct has warned that its House of Fraser chain has “terminal” problems as the company revealed it had been hit with a bombshell €674m (£605m) tax bill from the Belgian authorities.

In an extraordinary statement issued 10 hours late – and after the stock exchange had closed – the maverick businessman laid bare the state of his retail empire.

The billionaire chief executive, who also owns Newcastle United, said that the desperate state of the House of Fraser chain, which the group bought out of administration in 2018, had created “significant uncertainty” as to the future profitability of the entire group. Its main Sports Direct chain was also struggling against a backdrop of tough trading conditions, with weak underlying sales.

In the 38-page document, which at various points descended into Ashley’s personal rants about the failings of “self-interested” City advisers, the company said:

• It had received a €674m tax bill from the Belgian authorities that relates to products that had been routed internally via Belgium.

• House of Fraser’s financial problems could be “terminal” with more store closures likely

• In a frank admission, Ashley indicated that he regretted the House of Fraser deal: “if we had the gift of hindsight we might have made a different decision in August 2018.”

• Its finance director John Kempster is stepping down in September, the third senior departure in recent weeks

• The chief executives and finance directors of listed companies should have voluntary drug tests so as to avoid blackmail.

Some analysts fear that the colourful deal-maker has taken on too much in the last 18 months, after a buying spree that has seen the £3.7bn group acquire Evans Cycles, the furniture business Sofa.com, and Game Digital, as well as House of Fraser.

More on the link https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jul/26/sports-direct-shares-fall-results-delay-mike-ashley

This is a must read, not least because he rarely speaks but also its a great insight into the guy and the situation up there. It won't please the number 9 loving locals though.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7290525/MIKE-ASHLEY-EXCLUSIVE-think-club-forever-Martin-Samuel-Newcastle-owner.html

Mike Ashley is reflecting on his 12 years at Newcastle. 'I'm a negative to that football club,' he says, without a hint of self-pity.

'It's not a secret. I don't feel sorry for myself. It is down to me, not Newcastle. I give myself one out of five in some aspects because I made proper mistakes, and football isn't a very forgiving place. I didn't just shoot myself in the foot; I blew my own leg off.

• Thanks 1

On 24/07/2019 at 13:03, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah but geordies love a number 9 Trent...........as you wrote yourself most teams just like them ;)

Yeah I laughed my bollocks off when Bruce was on about the number 9. It’s like it’s more important at Newcastle over other clubs. I said to my Newcastle supporting mate that Bruce would come out with all the cliques about Newcastle, and he didn’t disappoint. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yeah I laughed my bollocks off when Bruce was on about the number 9. It’s like it’s more important at Newcastle over other clubs. I said to my Newcastle supporting mate that Bruce would come out with all the cliques about Newcastle, and he didn’t disappoint. 

To be fair tho mate that myth has been peddled for far longer than Bruce has been in charge up there.

Just want to get this in early before it becomes a thing.

I do not believe it is the manager who makes signings at Newcastle, good or bad ones.

There, carry on.

On 24/07/2019 at 10:23, rodders0223 said:

Also one of the very few sets of supporters that likes good football. Not me, not our club and very rarely do you see it. Most sets of fans love some turgid Pulis ball.

They demand attacking football man!

Another thing that sets them apart is they are the only club in the country where the fans live for and look forward to the game, an entire weekend is made or broke by the club winning. You don't get that anywhere else.

It's a religion man!

Rarely do you get a fanbase look forward to football games or experience highs and lows based on the result.

It's a unique club  man!

"You don't know what it's like unless you've been up there."

Been thanks.

Â