Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Not sure even MA would re-appoint Sam after last time (where tbf he did a pretty good job, just not good enough for the fans at that time).

Allerdyce claimed on talksport he was offered the job after Benitez left

7 hours ago, Genie said:

Not sure even MA would re-appoint Sam after last time (where tbf he did a pretty good job, just not good enough for the fans at that time).

Supposedly he was offered the job by MA after Rafa left.

19 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He won the Championship on the first time of asking and kept them up twice. The former is something his successor has never achieved and we'll have to see on the latter but all signs are pointing to another x in that column.

He also sent them down. Newcastle were only in the bottom 3 on goal difference when he took over, then finished a number of points behind Sunderland. 

And since people love talking about spend so much with Bruce, Rafa spent more in one summer in the Championship than Bruce did in 4 windows. 

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

He also sent them down. Newcastle were only in the bottom 3 on goal difference when he took over, then finished a number of points behind Sunderland. 

And since people love talking about spend so much with Bruce, Rafa spent more in one summer in the Championship than Bruce did in 4 windows. 

You’ve been fond of pointing out Bruce’s net spend during his time here. What was Rafa’s net spend that summer?

A quick search suggests Newcastle spent about £60m and brought in £90m.

So a £30m profit and championship winners in one season. 

• Like 1

Still dont get the comparison between Bruce and Rafa. Rafa has managed huge clubs throughout Europe for a reason and the biggest club Bruce managed was in the 2nd division at the time

I don't mind a comparison between the 2

bruce getting promoted with blues 17 years ago is as relevant today as rafa winning the league with Valencia 18 years ago

there was a reason rafa was at big clubs and then there is a reason he's not anymore, the difference between rafa and bruce is fans got fed up of bruce and called him out whereas rafa's decline hasn't impacted his reputation, which I am in no way shape or form suggesting is largely due to him being considered untouchable by a certain group of easily offended fans from the north west, interestingly flipping it on its head and ignoring the fans opinion you could argue Bruce's CV is getting more successful, he's dropped leagues and stopped winning but villa, Wednesday and Newcastle are the 3 biggest clubs he's managed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

You’ve been fond of pointing out Bruce’s net spend during his time here. What was Rafa’s net spend that summer?

So you're saying Rafa got relegated with players of that kind of value in his squad?

Top manager.

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't mind a comparison between the 2

bruce getting promoted with blues 17 years ago is as relevant today as rafa winning the league with Valencia 18 years ago

there was a reason rafa was at big clubs and then there is a reason he's not anymore, the difference between rafa and bruce is fans got fed up of bruce and called him out whereas rafa's decline hasn't impacted his reputation, which I am in no way shape or form suggesting is largely due to him being considered untouchable by a certain group of easily offended fans from the north west, interestingly flipping it on its head and ignoring the fans opinion you could argue Bruce's CV is getting more successful, he's dropped leagues and stopped winning but villa, Wednesday and Newcastle are the 3 biggest clubs he's managed

Seeing as people are so fond of views of other clubs - ask Chelsea, Napoli, Madrid and Inter fans their thoughts on Rafa. 

How many coaches have failed to succeed managing that many big, successful, clubs?

Bruce will get more points at Newcastle than Rafa did, and won't get them relegated - quote me on it. Do people actually disagree?

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

5 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

So you're saying Rafa got relegated with players of that kind of value in his squad?

Top manager.

Oh No She Didn't GIF - ParksAndRec AndyDwyer ChrisPratt GIFs

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Top manager.

Well as you pointed out they were in the relegation zone when he took over, so their quality is debatable. He then faced the likes of Liverpool, Man City, Spurs, Leicester in the run in. 

But you pointing out how much he spent with no reference to his net spend contradicts your defence of Bruce’s tenure here.

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Bruce will get more points at Newcastle than Rafa did, and won't get them relegated - quote me on it. Do people actually disagree?

Did you see the Arsenal game?

Can't see where the goals are coming from. They are thoughtless in the final third. Might get loads of 0-0 games though.

15 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Seeing as people are so fond of views of other clubs - ask Chelsea, Napoli, Madrid and Inter fans their thoughts on Rafa. 

How many coaches have failed to succeed managing that many big, successful, clubs?

Yes, I think there is more chance of Newcastle being relegated with Bruce in charge instead of Rafa.

That doesn’t mean I’m saying it’s nailed on they’re going to finish 20th or anything like that. I just think they would have stood more chance of staying up if Rafa had stayed.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

10 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Well as you pointed out they were in the relegation zone when he took over, so their quality is debatable. He then faced the likes of Liverpool, Man City, Spurs, Leicester in the run in. 

But you pointing out how much he spent with no reference to his net spend contradicts your defence of Bruce’s tenure here.

And not the likes of Sunderland and Norwich? He bottled it, they finished further from safety than when he took over from McLaren.

Not really? Bruce took over after the summer window finished so didn't get the "benfit" of selling £40m worth of players, on top of his net profit.

16 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

And not the likes of Sunderland and Norwich? He bottled it, they finished further from safety than when he took over from McLaren.

Not really? Bruce took over after the summer window finished so didn't get the "benfit" of selling £40m worth of players, on top of his net profit.

There were a few games that looking back you’d think, that should be a win. I’d be more forgiving of the Sunderland result - local derby, Sunderland seem to have a hold over them. Newcastle’s result against us was poorer in my opinion.

On the second point, you’re basically saying “Rafa is crap, he had £90m worth of talent and got relegated”.

But you’re also saying Bruce is great for his net spend, for getting £10m for Amavi, £7m for Gestede, £5m for Westwood etc etc....well why can’t it be “Bruce had all these valuable players at his disposal....and we were nowhere near promotion in his first season”?

And I don’t just mean players he sold, the expensive players he didn’t buy but regularly played...he may not have spent £15m on Kodjia but he certainly benefited from him...

Edited by Shropshire Lad

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

There were a few games that looking back you’d think, that should be a win. I’d be more forgiving of the Sunderland result - local derby, Sunderland seem to have a hold over them. Newcastle’s result against us was poorer in my opinion.

On the second point, you’re basically saying “Rafa is crap, he had £90m worth of talent and got relegated”.

But you’re also saying Bruce is great for his net spend, for getting £10m for Amavi, £7m for Gestede, £5m for Westwood etc etc....well why can’t it be “Bruce had all these valuable players at his disposal....and we were nowhere near promotion in his first season”?

I'm going to guess that Bruce didn't have a full season was really important while Rafa taking over in the middle of March isn't somehow.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

And I don’t just mean players he sold, the expensive players he didn’t buy but regularly played...he may not have spent £15m on Kodjia but he certainly benefited from him...

That's hardly £90m though, is it? And getting £17m for Amavi and Gestede is essentially robbery by the club.

As for Bruce being great. Never said that, never will. He's far from it.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Â