Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m surprised at that too. Usually when clubs are desperate like Newcastle it’s 4 or 5 year contracts. 

They are probably earning twice the salary in those 2 and a half years. 

Newcastle probably have a plan to be stabilised in the PL by end of 2024 (either by building their current squad or relegated and come back). At that point they will really go for it spending wise. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Trippier is a 2.5 year deal as well 

If anyone believes those graphs that have been produced saying who can spend what under FFP, Newcastle are around £166m (the one I've just found).

If I remember correctly, its over a 3 year period, so they probably have some capacity now from 2-3 years ago, which is in the use it or lose it category. A short contract means the transfer fee will depreciate quicker - using up that allowance, and not drag on. 
I'm sure they've got a plan which is stay up this year - spend a load next year and aim at Europe, them CL, etc - so they will have mapped out what they can afford in which window.

It might also be why there has been stories around selling Longstaff - as they would all be FFP profit. 

They are going to be a well run club it seems - much to my disappointment!
Just gotta hope for t going wrong over the coming months and they get relegated - and/or they simply can't persuade the right players to move up there.

On 13/01/2022 at 09:46, Genie said:

I was surprised at that too. Strange to put himself out of contract at 32/33. 

He's probably earning treble there in that time frame than he would anywhere else on a 4 year deal. 

They've used up pretty much all of their winnable home games now....played all of Leeds, Burnley, Watford, Norwich, Southampton and Brentford so going to have to beat some top 8 teams if they're to stay up. Have they even won an away game yet?

Watford-Norwich next week so they could be 4-5 points adrift again regardless of who they sign next week.

On 13/01/2022 at 18:10, Phil Silvers said:

Chris Wood been on sky all day it seems, imagine how much airtime he'd be getting if the move was to Palace or Brighton. Sky are definitely on the Newcastle bandwagon, expecting they'll be doing all they can to hell them.

Sky probably worried their journalists will be cut up and dumped in a river if they don’t.

• Haha 1

Home games left for them now:

Everton 

Us

Brighton

Palace

Wolves

Leicester

Liverpool

Arsenal

Going to have to win 5 of those to stay up imo. Would get them to 27 points and then it's needing to find 2-3 away wins from somehere which is harder with fans back in grounds.

Think they need to beat Everton if Benitez remains there and tbh us as we're always rubbish on Tyneside for some bizarre reason otherwise they're going to leave too much to do.

As bad as Watford have been they're actually decent at taking points off teams around them and have a good home fixture list left.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They've used up pretty much all of their winnable home games now....played all of Leeds, Burnley, Watford, Norwich, Southampton and Brentford so going to have to beat some top 8 teams if they're to stay up. Have they even won an away game yet?

Watford-Norwich next week so they could be 4-5 points adrift again regardless of who they sign next week.

They have won 1 (one) game all season, and that was a home game to Burnley. Gerrard alone has won quadruple the number of games with us in 2 months.

The key to this most desirable side plot of the season (the jawdies relegated) is that Watford win their next two games against Burnley and Norwich - making the gap to safety 7 points. That would stuff them mentally. 

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 2

Â