Christian Benteke

Kwan

If you look at the defender and where he's holding himself, I reckon he broke the collarbone when he landed rather than when he hit Benteke. I did my collarbone doing something similar but it was mostly because I was a moron and fell on the point of my shoulder instead of just doing a sort of high-speed bellyflop that would have looked sillier but probably done me less damage...

That goal was a foul, Benteke barged into him, you can't do that or use some mythical shoulder barge rule bullies made up at school to excuse it. 

Still love him as a player though...an Henry/Drogba hybird almost. He needs to watch the discipline though...vs Norwich and Chelsea last season I think back too.

Arsenal will be a good test for him, one of the few teams who kept him quiet last season. He was very quiet in this fixture.

Foul?? Wow. You should be embarrassed!

Never a foul in a million years. The two players ran into each other at a similar pace. It's not Benteke's fault he's an animal. None of the Malaga players even protested. Crazy comment.

What a goal by the way. I've never seen a more talented player at the club with perhaps the exception of God. I think Benteke is going to achieve a lot more in the game though (if he stays fit).

That goal was a foul, Benteke barged into him, you can't do that or use some mythical shoulder barge rule bullies made up at school to excuse it. 

Still love him as a player though...an Henry/Drogba hybird almost. He needs to watch the discipline though...vs Norwich and Chelsea last season I think back too.

Arsenal will be a good test for him, one of the few teams who kept him quiet last season. He was very quiet in this fixture. 

Never a foul in a million years.

If you look you'll see the Malaga player looks to barge Benteke at the same rate as Benteke barges him. Just because a weak defender decided to go toe to toe with the strongest player in the Premiership doesn't make it a foul. He had control of the ball right from the start and it's fair play.

Without putting the commentators curse on him, i really think Benteke could start the season on fire, 3 in first 3.

One concern (tin hat on) is if he starts wells and Arsenal start poorly. It's well known Arsenal have been looking (and failing) to sign a striker all summer. Wengers done it in the past, where they have started poorly and panicked on transfer deadline day to sign someone (see Mikel Arteta, good player but Arsenal paid over the odds for him). If all that happened I wouldn't be surprised if a last minute £30m offer came in

Having just signed a new contract there is no way he'd be allowed to leave even if a larger last minute offer came in. He'd be ruled out of any "Champions League" team's group games as well, as the deadline would have passed to register him for them.

He's going to give us an awesome season this year folks. 20+ league goals I reckon.

From a referee:

There is no other sort of charge than a “shoulder charge”; no hips, no hands, no holds or pushes. A fair charge is shoulder to shoulder, elbows (on the contact side) against the body, with each player having at least one foot on the ground and both attempting to gain control of the ball. The amount of force allowed is relative to the age and experience of the players, but should never be excessive. This is as defined by the referee on the game, not some book definition, adjusted as necessary for the age and experience of the players and what has happened or is happening in this particular game on this particular day at this particular moment. It all boils down to what is best for the referee’s management and the players’ full enjoyment of the game.

Although often overlooked by spectators, it is important to remember that a player’s natural endowments (speed, strength, height, heft, etc.) may be superior to that of the opponent who is competing with that player for the ball. As a completely natural result, the opponent may not only be bested in the challenge but may in fact wind up on the ground — with no foul having been committed. The mere fact that a player fails in a challenge and falls or is knocked down is what the game is all about (and why coaches must choose carefully in determining which player marks which opponent). Referees do not handicap players by saddling them with artificial responsibilities to be easy on an opponent simply because they are better physically endowed in some way.

Fair charges include actions which do not strictly meet the “shoulder-to-shoulder” requirement when this is not possible because of disparities in height or body type (a common occurrence in youth matches in the early teenage range where growth spurts differ greatly on an individual level within the age group). Additionally, a fair charge can be directed toward the back of the shoulder if the opponent is shielding the ball, provided it is not done dangerously and never to the spinal area.

The arms may not be used at all, other than for balance—which does not include pushing off or holding the opponent.

“Momentum” should not be a factor in the referee’s judgment of a charge. Beyond the definition given above, there are only two criteria for judging the charge: (1) Was it fair or unfair? (2) If unfair, was the charge (a) careless, (B) reckless, or © using excessive force? After these two questions have been asked and answered, the referee makes a decision.

If the player’s momentum is too great, it is likely that the player is using excessive force; however, please remember that a player can be knocked over by a fair charge and the charging player should not be punished for that. If the charge described in your example was either reckless or done with excessive force, the player should have been either cautioned for unsporting behavior or sent off for serious foul play.

We must add that a player may be off balance and fall more easily because of a “fair” shoulder charge. Charges from behind when a player is shielding a ball that is within playing distance are often deemed to be fouls if the player shielding the ball falls forward. Again the referee is the judge what constitutes fair of foul. But simply causing an opponent to fall does not automatically mean that a foul has been committed.

In addition, some well-meaning but ill-informed leagues make a “no-charge” rule part of their rules of competition. These are the same misguided people who say that younger players should not be sent off for offenses that would merit a send-off and lengthy suspension in advanced youth and adult soccer. How will kids learn to cope with adversity as adults if they are spoon fed only sweetness and light as youths?

I've bolded the bits I think are important.

I don't think it was a foul

• Like 3

I'm actually really excited to see what he can produce this season. When we people talk about the biggest bargains in Premiership history, they talk about Cantona, Irwin, SChmeichel, we may soon be adding Benteke's name to the list.

We are so reliant on Benteke. My main worry is that if we are without this guy for a period of time we are screwed

I wouldn't say we're screwed. We may struggle to score as frequently but we've had goals from pretty much every attacking player in pre-season which is great to see.

I mean yes Benteke got the lions share but we scored 19 goals in pre-season and Benteke contributed 7 directly and assisted in one, but the rest were scored by others which is promising as for once we appear to have goals all over the field. 

Based on write ups and some assist credits are missing as AVFC tend to ignore the guy that created the chance for some reason this is pre-season..

Benteke - 7 Goals, 1 Assist

Weimann - 2 Goals, 2 Assists

Helenius - 2 Goals, 1 Assist

Bacuna - 1 Goal, 3 Assists

Lowton - 1 Goal, 1 Assist

Agbonlahor - 1 Goal

Delph - 1 Goal

Gardner - 1 Goal

Westwood - 1 Goal

Grealish - 1 Goal

Vlaar - 1 Goal

Tonev - 2 Assists

Carruthers - 1 Assist

El Ahmadi - 1 Assist

So yes Benteke is the difference but I find good news in just how many names are either scoring, creating or both in our side. I get that it was pre-season so for the most part the competition wasn't Premier League standard but we have creativity in our side for the first time in years, yes Benteke would be missed if he got injured but the goals wouldn't stop. 

• Like 1

Â