Christian Benteke

Kwan

I mean, it`s all great actually. We can bring in some really top quality if we invest it well, and with Lambert at the reigns I think we will.  The sad part is that he probably wants to stay in PL, so I am hoping for Chelsea as I don`t really give a damn about them and the usually pay good money. 

The other player was leading with his shoulder so in that case I guess it's legit.

So in your opinion if Benteke hadn't reciprocated it would have been a penalty?

Shoulder to shoulder is absolutely fine. Always has been. Don't let the odd bad refereeing decision (of which Benteke will no doubt fall foul of this season) persuade you otherwise. 

• Like 1

Aren't shoulder barges perfectly legal though? Tough luck if you end up on the floor as Chris Smalling would tell you.

I'm not sure hence the question. I mean that could open the game up to some rugby league style hits. Shoulder-to-shoulder sure but it seemed slightly off the ball.

They were challenging for the ball, that's the important distinction. Though to suggest it was "off the ball" is wrong, Benteke was clearly in full control of that football. 

Beautiful goal in so many ways, "simple" maybe, but possibly the best I've seen him score. 

The old shoulder barge has gone out of the game. The difference with the Benteke-Smalling incident is that they both went in shoulder to shoulder. Smalling of course went in like an absolute flange and got rightly knocked out of the stadium for his troubles.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I think we'll see him penalised for some 50-50's this season, referee's will see him as a bully and give fouls against him on occasion - that always seems to happen when you have a big strong striker.

Hence John Carew.

I think we'll see him penalised for some 50-50's this season, referee's will see him as a bully and give fouls against him on occasion - that always seems to happen when you have a big strong striker.

Hence John Carew.

Exactly.

The power of benteke and highlight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC-NoeP2EpI

Here's a question - why was the defender not sent off giving away the penalty?

Probably because it's a friendly and refs tend not to be as strict.

I understand and agree that may well be why, but that's not the rule. 

This is the wider issue with refereeing, they make it up as they go along. 

unwritten rule is you don't send players of in friendlies unless it's for violent behaviour

They always have done....it relies on the ref over seeing fair play within the guidelines of the rules....that requires interpretation/judgement that's why there will always be differences from one ref to another....so in some ways they do make it up as they go along as long as it is within the rules.

That really is some goal. Pick up the through ball, turn and nutmeg the first guy, push it on, bang - get that one reset and slung up, friendo - round the keeper and leave the defender running for the line helpless. Finesse and brutality and CF in C&B, gotta love it.

I've said before he reminds me of a hybrid of Kanu and Drogba. Big - very big - and amazingly skilful with pace and strength that is actually disproportionate to his size, ridiculous as that is. Because he lopes he doesn't seem to be traveling fast, then you realise he has covered some distance. That goal is a good example, after the nutmeg it looks like he has pushed it too far but no, he gets there because of his stride length then boom! Massive power and quick feet. Crazy stuff and to think Spurts were the only team sniffing around him. Was the rest of the footballing world blind? Can anyone really say "Shit, didn't think he could score a goal like that!" Of course not. We've all seen it before and will hopefully see it at least 20 times again this season.

I guess my only tiny, tiny regret would be that he doesn't wear the famous C&B number 9. That shirt has been worn by some absolute footballing terrorists but it's his call. For some reason he didn't want it so we have to respect that.

• Like 1

I'd love to see him do that to John Terry.

I rarely pray for anything but please, please, please this must happen. Tekkers owes him one of his own for a start for last seasons red and he can earn himself a million kudos points by damaging Terry so badly he gets stretchered off weeping with agony. All things being equal the word removed will still be too broken and swollen to even don the loosest of kits to gatecrash the Chelski PL title award ceremony.

The first goal yesterday encapsulated Benteke perfectly.

Touch, Skill, finesse, pace, power, intelligence. The guy's got everything, and he used it all in 5 seconds there.

Â