Christian Benteke

Kwan

He hasnt lost the plot though, people have been moaning that he hasnt dropped Benteke and he has played poor. Yet he finally drops him and has lost the plot?

some fans are unbelievable with what they want

It"s almost like there are different fans, with differing opinions.

• Like 4

He's struggled for a few matches and the knockers are on his case. This guy is class, and will come good again. Even struggling for form he scores class goals such as the one against the Mancs. If Gabby is the alternative, then give me Benteke every time. Simply has to play against Hull.

If only other players got the amount of time some are willing to give to Beneteke..

One thing I can never have a go a Wiemann for is his work rate.  His technical skill and quality yes, but never his work rate.

Benteke on the other hand?  He's barely moved for the last 5/6 games.

I hope it is a confidence thing, but he needs to do more for the team as it stands.

If its work rate you want, then perhaps we should play a bricklayer up front. Some of the greatest players in history rarely looked interested until you were picking the ball out of the net. Can't knock Weiman for lack of effort, but after a promising start to his career, he does seem to have fallen short of the player we had hoped he would become. Neither player deserves to be  pilloried yet. Gabby, on the other hand, has been crap for years.  

He is nowhere near the greatest, however take his recent games, he just hasn't look interested, where is the Benteke that demanded the ball? Get angry, he's lost form and maybe injury is catching up with him, but it's about finding the CB of old. We do seem to find excuses for our favoured players.

• Like 1

Lambert: "Benteke needs to improve"

Paul Lambert has admitted it was not a hard decision to leave Christian Benteke out of the Aston Villa line-up for the defeat to Chelsea.

The Villa boss said he has not decided whether to recall the Belgium striker for Tuesday's game away to Hull City.

Villa lost 2-1 to the league leaders on Saturday, but did manage to end their 659-minute wait for a goal.

Lambert said Benteke's performances have been below par which is why he started with Gabriel Agbonlahor against Jose Mourinho's side.

“It wasn’t a hard decision to leave Christian out. His form has dipped, he knows that by his own admission when we spoke,” he said.

“I thought playing Gabby was vindicated, I thought he was excellent. I thought Gabby did ever so well and I expect Christian to take it like any other player and fight their way to get back into the side.

“I don’t think we should leave everything to Christian, it’s not his sole responsibility to score goals. I thought his form and general game wasn’t up to the level I know he can produce.”

Lambert’s side are looking to end their run of nine games without a win against Hull and the Scot is hopeful of victory if his side match their display against Chelsea.

The Villa boss said: "Well we've got an opportunity tomorrow to go and do that and if we play the way we did on Saturday with that level and that commitment and that tempo of the game, we will be in a shout of winning the game.

"We have to take that form from Saturday right through the remainder of these games and if we do that, we will certainly win more games. 

"It's a tough, tough game at Hull. Steve Bruce is in the same position as ourselves where you are fighting everything to get results. They are a tough team to play against but if we do what we did on Saturday we will be right in the game."

He hasnt lost the plot though, people have been moaning that he hasnt dropped Benteke and he has played poor. Yet he finally drops him and has lost the plot?

Although you better not have a different opinion about Lambert(!!).

I think dropping Benteke was the right call in the grand scheme of things, but he has to play against Hull.  We've got pace in Gil/Sinclair/Weimann/Agbonlahor - Benteke is the only striker that is different to this.  He needs to put in a performance, though.  If he doesn't, I'd drop him for a couple of games.

Agbonlahor was not particularly good at the weekend, but the movement with him, Weimann and Gil was much better. I think I would say, reluctantly, to possibly start with them again, because at least it looked like they might score.

Or perhaps Weimann up front, Gil in behind, bench Agbonlahor and Benteke, bring in Sanchez, push Delph further forward. For  a bit of solidity, controlled forward play, not gung-ho.

Such an important game, minimum must not lose, and we certainly do not need a sulking passenger up front.

Although you better not have a different opinion about Lambert(!!

Boring now Bobzy.

Boring now Bobzy.

Agreed.  Is a different opinion allowed now?

Boring now Bobzy.

Agreed. Is a different opinion allowed now?

I never said it wasn't. Stop picking out bits and twisting, it is bloody boring.

Depends how he has trained for me, he had a face like a smacked arse on the bench on saturday so if he's had a monk on all week then he should stay on the bench for me. If however he's put a shift in on the training ground and looked up for it then start him and tell him to show everyone he really is that good etc.

All about how he has responded to Saturday really.

Boring now Bobzy.

I never said it wasn't. Stop picking out bits and twisting, it is bloody boring.

There's no twisting there at all.

I noticed that you decided to ignore my posting about Benteke to take out a flippant comment and call me "boring".  Something about picking out bits?

Everyone is "to blame" in our current situation.  Be it the manager who picks the team or the star striker who doesn't score the goals.  The way things get shot down on here is plain silly :o

I'd be more than happy to see him benched again tomorrow.

Bring him on after 60 minutes to scare the shit out of hull

Current Benteke wouldn't.

The reason I do think he should start is that, against Chelsea, we were putting in a lot of crosses during the game - almost especially first half, from memory.  Benteke is the player we need in there if we're going to do that.

Boring now Bobzy.

There's no twisting there at all.

I noticed that you decided to ignore my posting about Benteke to take out a flippant comment and call me "boring". Something about picking out bits?

Everyone is "to blame" in our current situation. Be it the manager who picks the team or the star striker who doesn't score the goals. The way things get shot down on here is plain silly :o

YOU started about Lambert. NOT me now grow up and stop trying to force fights.

He don't do subs at 60 minutes. 70+ only. you know, when they have no time to make an impact.
Except that isn't true.

But why let facts get in the way of a snidey comment, ey?

• Like 4

He don't do subs at 60 minutes. 70+ only. you know, when they have no time to make an impact.
Except that isn't true.

Oooooh, moody on here isn't it. Not snidey at all, he just 'rarely' makes subs before 70 minutes. 

• Like 1

Ah. "Rarely" now. Not "never" anymore.

Still not true though. He makes subs before 70 minutes quite a lot actually. Over 50% of our games in 2015 so far.

For someone who demanded evidence and details to back up opinions in another thread, you're not very good at doing it yourself are you?

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

Except that isn't true.

Oooooh, moody on here isn't it. Not snidey at all, he just 'rarely' makes subs before 70 minutes. 

5 out of his last 7 league substitutions have been before 70 minutes.  Rare indeed.

• Like 2

Â