Christian Benteke

Kwan

Something "off" there with the young lad. I feel bad for him but we can't risk him again. He's a liability and too big a risk. Should be moved in next transfer window.

75%o f it is teams have worked out if you mark him out the game Villa are nulified. Three Chelsea players on him most of the time. Watched him today, it hard work without a quality pass.

Not good enough. He just doesn't seem to care. All this no service talk is absolute rubbish. Would rather have holt back up front

He didn't even look arsed in the half time kick about - no interaction with the other villa players and nominal effort. The we looked considerably less threatening when he came on for gabby - it even seemed an age before he touched the ball. - 

Didn't do enough to win his place back for me

• Like 1

Gabby does nothing though.Doesn't look like scoring, doesn't hold the ball up. doesn't link well, hasn't got a touch.All he does is look for free kicks all the time.

We are a better team without Gabby in imho.

I disagree - I think Gabby gives defences something to worry about - even though he is a poor finisher his pace can pull defences all over the place. On current form is easily Gabby over Benteke for me   (not that either option looks great!)

He look disinterested. I thought dropping him may be the rocket up the arse he needs but he did next to nothing after he came on. We all know the lad is a good player but even if he is lacking in confidence that is no excuse for not putting a shift in and really putting yourself about a bit. He wins hardly anything in the air anymore and no longer bullies centre backs. In fact it is now the opposite and he is easily knocked off the ball.

I'd start with Gabby and Andi again on Tuesday. They don't have anything apporaching Bentekes ability but they will put a shift in and really put themselves about. An out of sorts disinterested Benteke is like playing with 10 men and until he is willing to work his bollocks off and make things happen for himself then, especially given our current predicament, we can't afford to carry him.

Edited by markavfc40

IMO he should've come on at 1-1.

We had momentum then and actually a bit of space as Chelsea were pouring forward.

At 1-2 Chelsea were content to drop deep and play the game out and as we've seen many times we don't have a clue how to create chances against those tactics.

Yeah it's easy to say Bench him but with Gil in great form surely it makes sense to get Benteke back in there to link up with him and get on the end of Gil crosses and passes. Surely you'd want him on the end of a chance rather than Gabby or Weimann. I'm sure he'd have done better with that Gabby headed chance in the first half.

It was good seeing some movement and effort up top today, I hope for the same against Hull and I fancy a nice 3 points.

We were much better today going forward.

Benteke can sit on the bench for a month and think about where his career is going.

He won't be earning a move away with the way he has been trotting about the past month.

Didn't see much evidence of that today tbh smertov.

CB is definitely off form, but he is far more of a goal threat than Gabby.

I saw the exact opposite of that. As soon as gabby went off we rarley threatened IMO.

• Like 1

IMO he should've come on at 1-1.

We had momentum then and actually a bit of space as Chelsea were pouring forward.

At 1-2 Chelsea were content to drop deep and play the game out and as we've seen many times we don't have a clue how to create chances against those tactics.

Yeah it's easy to say Bench him but with Gil in great form surely it makes sense to get Benteke back in there to link up with him and get on the end of Gil crosses and passes. Surely you'd want him on the end of a chance rather than Gabby or Weimann. I'm sure he'd have done better with that Gabby headed chance in the first half.

To be fair he was stood waiting to come on as chelsea scored the 2nd

Yes because Chelsea had scored and Mourinho made the decision to just sit back and see out the game.

Can't remember too many attempts in the first half tbh, our second half spell was Gil being unplayable  for a 15 minute period.

To me we've finally signed that elusive playmaker and we drop our previously 1 in 2 striker because he's had a bit run.

You need those two combining.

Gabby does nothing though.Doesn't look like scoring, doesn't hold the ball up. doesn't link well, hasn't got a touch.All he does is look for free kicks all the time.

I disagree - I think Gabby gives defences something to worry about - even though he is a poor finisher his pace can pull defences all over the place. On current form is easily Gabby over Benteke for me   (not that either option looks great!)

Not a chance in hell for me.Gabby has been in the last chance saloon for 4 seasons. There's probably not a villa fan alive right now who thinks that Benteke is putting in a shift, however in that crucial moment when a bit of quality is needed i know who i would want on the end of something and I'm afraid it's not that clown Gabby. Is everything suddenly forgiven just because he's done exactly what he is supposed to do as a professional footballer; Run around the football pitch today!!. I guess if you cant be very good then you might as well be lucky, and he seems to have a lot of fortune come his way IMO

Agreed. 

Gabby has been crap for a while, but today he held the ball up effectively more times than Benteke has for the past 2 months.

Things just seem to bounce off Benteke these days. Gabby's not great, but at least he looks like he gives a shit (at the moment)

I'd have no problem with BEnteke beign on the bench again vs Hull.

But to be honest, I'd love to see Weimann given a chance up front.

• Like 1

Â