Christian Benteke

Kwan

I agree with a lot of you that he seems to be very short on confidence and frustrated as an effect of his poor form. Hopefully he'll get a goal soon so that his metaphorical fire starts blazing away again and he hits form again. It is bound to happen, but it couldn't come sooner. Let's hope he gets to bag some against Arsenal and that we win that bloody game.

I remember hearing an interview years ago with a former pro on Soccer Saturday (May have been Merson, but can't remember), who was talking about coming back from long term injury. He said something along the lines that when you first come back into the team it is great and you are playing off adrenaline for the first few games, then you hit a wall and struggle as you haven't had the pre-season others have had so your conditioning isn't quite up to everyone elses standards. The former pro also said that sometimes fans mis-interpret lack of confidence for disinterest. This may be what has happened here with Benteke?  I hope so anyway, and fingers crossed Benteke can grab a couple of goals in consecutive games to get him up and running again. With the introduction of Gil into the team, hopefully the goals aren't too far away for him.

Agree, also think the death of Junior Malanda may be playing on his mind, the Belgian lads seem to be very close to each other.

I remember hearing an interview years ago with a former pro on Soccer Saturday (May have been Merson, but can't remember), who was talking about coming back from long term injury. He said something along the lines that when you first come back into the team it is great and you are playing off adrenaline for the first few games, then you hit a wall and struggle as you haven't had the pre-season others have had so your conditioning isn't quite up to everyone elses standards. The former pro also said that sometimes fans mis-interpret lack of confidence for disinterest. This may be what has happened here with Benteke?  I hope so anyway, and fingers crossed Benteke can grab a couple of goals in consecutive games to get him up and running again. With the introduction of Gil into the team, hopefully the goals aren't too far away for him.

That's a good post Neil, although he's been throwing his arms up in the air at his team mates for weeks now, even when it's often him that should have been on the move. This happened a couple of times yesterday as well and if he'd been sharper (for whatever reason) he'd have scored.

nice to see some sanity back in here by monday morning ;)

I wouldnt underestimate the injury guys. hes been back playing about 10 weeks hasnt he?

and his first touch has ALWAYS needed to improve. We're probably noticing it more as we're not pumping it up to him to win in the air most of the time.

not knocking the criticism of his performances sbs, just caught up with the weekends posts in this thread and there were a few calling for him to be dropped, even sold etc.

Just my way of saying i think thats insane with an obviously misplaced attempt at humour :)

Confidence in yourself after a bad injury is a weird thing. affects some and not others

• Like 1

not knocking the criticism of his performances sbs, just caught up with the weekends posts in this thread and there were a few calling for him to be dropped, even sold etc.

Just my way of saying i think thats insane with an obviously misplaced attempt at humour :)

Confidence in yourself after a bad injury is a weird thing. affects some and not others

I agree with him lacking confidence and the possibility that it is down to his injury but i'm not sure the suggestions of dropping him for a game are wide of the mark. The comments about selling him weren't along the lines of "Sell him he is shit" either but more along the lines of "If his commitment has gone then it may be time to cash in and reinvest"

There is a big difference IMO.

Its also worth noting he didnt really get the chance to get eased back from his injury, just thrown in at the deep end. Maybe I am just finding excuses for the lad but I suppose I'll cut this bloke more slack than the others. If Kozac was about Id give him a run, fair enough, but as others have said I dont much rate the choices we have after him tbh.

I totally agree he looks out of sorts

The tune will be different if he bangs in a couple at the emirates.

Yes it will Paul.

He hasn't been scoring or playing particulary well lately. If you do one of those things, then people won't be as keen to criticise. If he scores two goals against Arsenal.... yes... our tune will change.

Obviously.

• Like 1

Just needs a goal,  any goal

We've said this so many times about Benteke, i don't think its just a goal he needs i think he just needs to play with that attitude he played with before. For whatever reason he is a shadow of that players movement, confidence and aggression.

For whatever reason he is not in shape.

11) Benteke’s attitude remains a concern for Villa

Christian Benteke is playing as if he believes he is too good for Aston Villa. Rather than taking responsibility and sharing a commitment to rectifying their appalling goalscoring record – Paul Lambert’s team head to Arsenal seeking their first Premier League goal in eight hours 42 minutes – the £25m-rated Belgium striker shrugs at what he perceives to be his team-mates’ poor delivery, looks bored and stops making the runs of the young and hungry goal machine who was so effective in his and Lambert’s first season together at Villa Park.

Unfortunate to miss the World Cup with a ruptured achilles, he has been back for the past 11 games now, scoring three times, including absolute belters at Crystal Palace and against Manchester United, but his all-round game is currently poor. For a striker who understandably plays only between the width of the penalty area, he is making very little effort to adapt and attack the few deliveries that are coming in. Rather than waiting to see whether a cross is meant for someone else, his body language should make it clear he wants to get on the end of it. He signed a new four-year contract only 18 months ago and Villa clearly are in no mood to sell their prize asset. Now they need to work out how to get the most out of him as, with Carlos Sánchez and Carles Gil finding a nimble stride, Villa endeavour to make progress through a more considered passing game. Peter Lansley

Link

Edited by momo
  • Like 1

I do worry when a top Striker like Benteke loses form and struggles to find it. I mean what are we doing on that training field. I don't want it to be a stick to beat lambert with, but he seems to find it really hard to get the best out the players and benteke cannot continue to perform how he is and still be first on the team sheet...........can he???

His workrate has gone to pot recently imo, I don't think he's working the two centre backs as hard as he usually does when the ball comes into him.

Arsenal and Chelsea up next, two opponents he usually does very well against so hopefully that will spark him into life with Gil buzzing around and either Weimann or Gabby as the pace outlet.

Â