Christian Benteke

Kwan

I think NeilS had it spot on. He's in a slump after his long term injury. His confidence is low and badly needs a goal he perked up yesterday after the crowd sang his name and once we scored the whole team looked a bit more confident. Hopefully Wenger will put this Paulista straight in on Sunday and Benteke can show him what the Premier League is all about!!

I remember hearing an interview years ago with a former pro on Soccer Saturday (May have been Merson, but can't remember), who was talking about coming back from long term injury. He said something along the lines that when you first come back into the team it is great and you are playing off adrenaline for the first few games, then you hit a wall and struggle as you haven't had the pre-season others have had so your conditioning isn't quite up to everyone elses standards. The former pro also said that sometimes fans mis-interpret lack of confidence for disinterest. This may be what has happened here with Benteke?  I hope so anyway, and fingers crossed Benteke can grab a couple of goals in consecutive games to get him up and running again. With the introduction of Gil into the team, hopefully the goals aren't too far away for him.

I really would give him a rest - He seems in similar form to when he was rushed back last season after his hip flexor injury. He was then taken out of the side for approx 4 weeks - and came back a much better player.

Hes not doing much at the moment - he's missed a few easy chances in recent weeks - he not holding the ball up - he's not making those run. I think Gabby with his pace would worry defenders more on current form.

Yeah it might be for the best to give him a little break and take him out of the firing line. I can understand Lambert's reluctance though as Gabby is not a prolific goalscorer, and didn't step up to the plate at the end of last season when we were dropping like a stone in Benteke's abscence. In the medium term (Tail end of the season) though, it may make all the difference.

I remember hearing an interview years ago with a former pro on Soccer Saturday (May have been Merson, but can't remember), who was talking about coming back from long term injury. He said something along the lines that when you first come back into the team it is great and you are playing off adrenaline for the first few games, then you hit a wall and struggle as you haven't had the pre-season others have had so your conditioning isn't quite up to everyone elses standards. The former pro also said that sometimes fans mis-interpret lack of confidence for disinterest. This may be what has happened here with Benteke?  I hope so anyway, and fingers crossed Benteke can grab a couple of goals in consecutive games to get him up and running again. With the introduction of Gil into the team, hopefully the goals aren't too far away for him.

I really would give him a rest - He seems in similar form to when he was rushed back last season after his hip flexor injury. He was then taken out of the side for approx 4 weeks - and came back a much better player.

Hes not doing much at the moment - he's missed a few easy chances in recent weeks - he not holding the ball up - he's not making those run. I think Gabby with his pace would worry defenders more on current form.

Stop mentioning that clown!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think he underhit it really.

I was looking for that as I'd seen people on here say it wasn't a great pass.

It was a great pass, imo. Picked Westwood out perfectly. If that had been Westwood to Benteke you and I would have been creaming over that pass, Stefan ;)

Westwood should have scored, but it was an excellent save to be fair.

• Like 1

Nah, Westwood should have scored. Completely agreed. But it was under hit. He waited a tad long and under hit it so he had to adjust.

If the roles were reversed I would have said exactly the same thing. The pass was under hit but the receiving player should have scored.

It wasn't underhit, but it was a good save by the keeper.  Blimey lads, we won the game, can we save the moaning for the next game where we'll probably be back down to earth with a bump, at which time I promise I'll join in with the slating of Benteke and Westwood with my usual cheery wit! ;)

• Like 3

It wasn't underhit, but it was a good save by the keeper.  Blimey lads, we won the game, can we save the moaning for the next game where we'll probably be back down to earth with a bump, at which time I promise I'll join in with the slating of Benteke and Westwood with my usual cheery wit! ;)

Fair point :D

Watch it again Stef (I just have). It really is a great pass. He had to wait the split second he did because a Bournemouth player ran across him so he may well have hit that guy if he made the pass earlier.

True Westwood may have been able to hit it first time if the pass had been further in front of him, but he doesn't have to break stride to take the ball.

• Like 2

FWIW, I actually think Westwood took a weird touch just before shooting - partially meaning he missed (the other part was good save).

Nothing wrong with the pass.  Even if there was a slight technical issue, it got through the defence and gave Westwood a 1-on-1 chance to score.  Not a problem imo.

Â