Christian Benteke

Kwan

Excessively angry if it's someone else's mistake; barely willing to acknowledge his own.

to be fair, I'd disagree with this.

From what I see, he sets high expectations of himself and can often be seen going absolutely mad if he misses a 50-50.

Excessively angry if it's someone else's mistake; barely willing to acknowledge his own.

to be fair, I'd disagree with this.

From what I see, he sets high expectations of himself and can often be seen going absolutely mad if he misses a 50-50.

Time and a place for it, he was fuming last week because bacuna didn't pass to him in the 93rd minute, but at the same time he did very little to deserve the pass, just stood there and expected it

• Like 1

This thread has been the busiest one on the site in the last 48 hours. On our list of problems, where does Benteke and his outbursts fit? If you think it's one of the 100 biggest problems facing the club, I couldn't disagree more. Again, why don't we wait to see if any of the people on whose behalf we're taking offence actually care themselves?

• Like 4

One would suggest playing in a team with the worst goal scoring record in the whole of the English football league and a team that creates the least amount of chances in the footballing galaxy plus every other outlandish stat this Villa team have posted would frustrate any top level footballer.  

Just a thought.

• Like 1

So in 2 and half years of averaging a goal every other game, scoring more prem goals than anyone in our history and clearly being our best player, there's been 1 clear example of him having a go at a player (bacuna was actually smiling during this) and a couple of moans we've seen lots of players do on many occasions.

I really think some are looking for an issue that's not there. Which seems really strange when its our most important and best player.

The issue is in the present, not the past.  I'd assume Bacuna was smiling because he knew he'd made the right decision - irrespective of Benteke being a bellend.  He displayed similar petulance when Grealish failed to find him against Swansea by the way.

It's an issue because it's current - not in the past.  It looks like he's starting to think he's too good for the club...

To be fair, he is too good for the club..

Benteke will move on shortly as he has always said he will, and you will move on with him.

Out of order to make that comment.

If you want me gone then i will do so.  :wave:

He doesn't even approach too good for the club.

He is comfortably too good for the current team.

I'll **** go mental if he leaves and goes to Spurs or Liverpool etc.

If he leaves and goes to a Bayern or Chelsea or Real Madrid, he'll spend several years widely considered as one of the best strikers in the world.

This thread has been the busiest one on the site in the last 48 hours. On our list of problems, where does Benteke and his outbursts fit? If you think it's one of the 100 biggest problems facing the club, I couldn't disagree more. Again, why don't we wait to see if any of the people on whose behalf we're taking offence actually care themselves?

This is a new and relatively interesting subject, considering that the "real" problems we have have been spun around at least ten times already.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

One would suggest playing in a team with the worst goal scoring record in the whole of the English football league and a team that creates the least amount of chances in the footballing galaxy plus every other outlandish stat this Villa team have posted would frustrate any top level footballer.  

Just a thought.

One would also suggest that playing in the team with the worst goal scoring record in the English football league, does not say much for our top striker, never mind the back up players.

It's not necessarily purely about the offence caused; he's just noticeably frustrated at the moment.  I don't think he's had these hissy fits at any other point in his Villa career... and they're coming just before the January transfer window.

So, if nothing happens and everything is fine come 31st January and Christian is back in the goals, you're right - no problem.

Sometimes you get what you deserve, and some of the posters on here criticizing CB, bend over backwards to support some of the dirge in the team at the moment.

CB is our best player, and he is too good for our team at the moment, but that is a good thing because he can attract players, he is valuable, and he wants to get better.We should prepare ourselves for CB going, but hopefully we will get another 12 months out of him.

It has been a pleasure to watch CB down VP tbh

One would suggest playing in a team with the worst goal scoring record in the whole of the English football league and a team that creates the least amount of chances in the footballing galaxy plus every other outlandish stat this Villa team have posted would frustrate any top level footballer.

Just a thought.

One would also suggest that playing in the team with the worst goal scoring record in the English football league, does not say much for our top striker, never mind the back up players.

He's been back for what, 6 games? 2 goals, both stunners he has made himself. If not for some utterly superb goalkeeping he'd have a couple more too.

You're wrong.

So let me get this straight, a striker returning to form and fitness who shows desire to score and win games and demands better/different service from those around him is a potential problem? Mind blowing.

As has been discussed, it's not that he wants better service, it's how his attitude is displayed.  The Bacuna situation is the perfect example.  Benteke didn't make a burst to the far post to get on the end of a cross or possible deflection (which actually happened), he instead called for the ball to be chipped into a silly position about 20/25 yards from goal... and then went on to rant at Bacuna after the game even though he was in the wrong.

If he's feeling that frustrated and venting like that, surely it's a potential problem?  Either that he may want to leave or that he doesn't have confidence in his fellow players.  Having a sulky striker isn't a good thing.

He's our best player by a distance - it doesn't mean everything he does is amazing and that he can't come in for some criticism.

Look at the quality of the ball for Gabbys penalty shout. No one seems to have mentioned that. A lofted through ball played directly forwards with no diagonal angle of attack. That's an incredibly hard skill but one a premier league quality forward should be capable of playing.

Benteke looks for passes not nearly as quality as the one he played and doesn't get them. It's got to be annoying.

This.

I can't believe people are getting upset about what some kid from Belgium has posted.

What he knows about Villa can be written on the back of a postage stamp. The fact that he doesn't know some of the great names that have played over the years highlights this. Am I the only one who couldn't give a flying one about Belgium and their national team?

I come on here to read about the Villa.& BTW we've had much better players than Benteke over the years so lets keep this in perspective. Benteke has a fair way to travel before he can be mentioned in the same breath as some players mentioned recently. I'm not saying he won't get there but as it stands currently he is not the finished article and I doubt whether he'd start for any top 4 club. Liverpool or Spurs are about as high as he could aim for currently. A step up from Villa admittedly but not enough to claim he's "too good for the team". One could also argue that Delph is too good for the team on that basis, given he's leaving soon. All teams have some players that are better than others-That's football.

So let me get this straight, a striker returning to form and fitness who shows desire to score and win games and demands better/different service from those around him is a potential problem? Mind blowing.

As has been discussed, it's not that he wants better service, it's how his attitude is displayed.  The Bacuna situation is the perfect example.  Benteke didn't make a burst to the far post to get on the end of a cross or possible deflection (which actually happened), he instead called for the ball to be chipped into a silly position about 20/25 yards from goal... and then went on to rant at Bacuna after the game even though he was in the wrong.

If he's feeling that frustrated and venting like that, surely it's a potential problem?  Either that he may want to leave or that he doesn't have confidence in his fellow players.  Having a sulky striker isn't a good thing.

He's our best player by a distance - it doesn't mean everything he does is amazing and that he can't come in for some criticism.

Sorry but I think its nonsense.

Take a look at any top team and see how the players react when they don't get the service they want or when a possible chance has gone begging to win a game in the last minute. They would be having a go at a team mate, its called desire to win and I see no issue with it.

Benteke was lots of space, the ball should have gone to him rather than him going to the back post in case of a possible deflection in my view, as seemingly was his view but that is down to personal opinion.

But I've no issue at all with a proven goal scorer telling players around him how or where he wants the ball played or moaning at people when a chance to win a game goes begging in the last minute. I'll take that every day over a player like Gabby who walks off after every game looking half arsed regardless of the score.

There are loads of top strikers past and present that would have done what Benteke did, I really don't see the issue with it.

The issue is that he is mistaken in telling other players off. His positioning not good. He is good at making his own chances, but he is no good at making the correct runs. Being free at the back post, behind a sea of opposition players, is not the best position to have.

Edited by momo

Â