Christian Benteke

Kwan

Its all very well some folk criticising possession football but you have to have the skills of Sanchez and the like to not get knocked off the ball.... most of ours are either too lightweight or do not possess the skill factor to keep it unless the opposing player is yards away from them.... close quarters half of our lot lose it, they just get out muscled.....thats why we have been playing hoofball for so long.

Antrim is right you have to mix it, there is a right time and then a time to go direct and up tempo

Edited by TRO

Juan Pablo, Vassell, Luke Moore, Carew, Gabby, Bent, Allback and any other half decent striker would have been on the end of that cross, but he hid behind 4 defenders, waiting for an impossible cut back instead.

He also bottled that 50/50 with the keeper too.

Benteke is by far the best striker at Villa, but he's not the finished article by any means, even if he thinks he is.

• Like 2

Fans can slag him all they want, but for me he is the best player at the club, an if we sold him in January I would bet on us going down. If we sell him at the end of season we will be back to square one.

You do realise you can criticise and appreciate someone at the same time?

Of course Benteke is the best player at the club (I suppose you could argue Guzan, but other than that...) however he still needs to work hard and get himself in the right positions.

Yes I agree with you Stefan! We should be allowed to criticise him the same as any other player. He might be our best player but he still makes mistakes and he has only scored 2 goals since his comeback. Its not always someone elses fault that your best striker is not scoring. 

Edited by PaulC

Yes I agree with you Stefan! We should be allowed to criticise him the same as any other player. He might be our best player but he still makes mistakes and he has only scored 2 goals since his comeback. Its not always someone elses fault that your best striker is not scoring. 

I think he can be rather lazy and his passing can be wayward. Although, for the time being, I'll put that down to being out of the game for so long.

Blasphemers!! 

• Like 2

I think you can criticise but then I think what's the point. We all know he's not perfect, no one is but why focus on the rare occasions he hasn't been absolutely brilliant in order to have a go?

He's our best player, his goal scoring record is excellent, he's been the sole difference between winning and losing a few times. If he has the odd poor performance then so what? It happens.

If it becomes a regular and consistent problem then fair enough but right now I'm surprised some are so keen to criticise.

• Like 1

And that's your opinion. I don't think he's looked lazy or stroppy.

He's looked frustrated and annoyed. I'm not sure that deserves criticism.

Lazy because he rarely gets himself back onside and expects a pass on his terms; rarely busting a gut to get where he should be.

Stroppy because he throws a hissy fit if he doesn't get the ball exactly where he wants it. Even if he isn't in the correct place.

They are totally valid criticisms IMO and him being our 'best player' (debatable atm) shouldn't make him immune.

You're just totally excusing his bad performances as the fault of others which is wrong and unfair.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

That's nonsense (IMO of course)

Everyone is open to criticism. He's been a lazy, stroppy sod in the last few games. Nothing wrong with saying that.

I tend to agree, his strop at Bacuna when he clearly didn't bother making the back post run really annoyed me. 

He looks frustrated here, but his performances aren't up to par. His touch is often sloppy and he doesn't look like he's busting a gut for the team. 

• Like 1

He's definitely looked both lazy and stroppy... as well as frustrated and annoyed.

All of which are traits that we shouldn't be visibly seeing from any player at the club - let alone our best one!

He's definitely looked both lazy and stroppy... as well as frustrated and annoyed.

All of which are traits that we shouldn't be visibly seeing from any player at the club - let alone our best one!

Thats a bit harsh. If we see frustration on the pitch its generally  a good thing, shows passion for the game. 

We always see it from the top players, Ronaldo, Costa, Rooney, Van Persie. Kompany is always having a fit at the players, even Gerrard has pulled a strop now and again its not something you can or should hide!

Edited by foreveryoung

Â