Christian Benteke

Kwan

Would like to see us try to get Lukaku in on loan. I know we couldn't afford his wages last time, but in terms of our level of desperation now he'd be worth it. Him and Benteke up top would be a terrifying proposition, and I'm sure there'd be plenty of backing for that kind of move in Belgium

He will have many more attractive offers, loan or permanent, unfortunately.

• Like 1

I see both sides of the argument. I think on the ball Benteke can be intelligent and surrounded by better players would show this more. But off the ball he can be very unintelligent. He is poor at reading the line which results in him being offside numerous times a game. Some of his movement in creating space isn't always the best.

Could it not be that our players are too slow to see the pass and release the ball to him?

Sometimes yes, but other times he just clearly hasn't read the play and strays along way offside

Would like to see us try to get Lukaku in on loan. I know we couldn't  afford his wages last time, but in terms of our level of desperation now he'd be worth it. Him and Benteke up top would be a terrifying proposition, and I'm sure there'd be plenty of backing for that kind of move in Belgium

He would never move to a team that are going to be in a relegation battle, and nor should he really. Also, Belgium generally play with just one of them up front at a time, largely because they haven't formed a successful partnership for the national team. 

FWIW West Ham are in for Lukaku, he has turned them down though apparently.

Nice not hearing about Benteke going to Spuds/Arsenal every day this transfer window, isn't it?

It is nice

However i guarantee if his foot was not hanging off all the tabloids would be demanding he play for a bigger club

I mean come on how dare he play for a club like Aston Villa

Edited by AshVilla

FWIW I don't think Lukaku is as good as the hype says he is. For me, Benteke the far more complete footballer out of the two. Lukaku us good dont get me wrong, suits the English game perfectly, but I dunno, just hasn't got the intelligence to really be a top world class* striker. 

*Depending on what your definition of world class is I guess, 

As much as I love Benteke, the last thing we can accuse him of is 'football intelligence'. Sure, he does have great ideas every now and then (last season at anfield as example) but the ammount of chances he could have created with a good through ball  is incredible, and sometimes painful to watch.

Is Benteke great? yes. Is he worth 20mil+? Probably? Is he an intelligent player? I dont think so

I actually think Benteke is very intelligent. He thinks on such a high level that he has already figured out that there is a higher chance of a goal if he attempts to take everyone on and score a 30 yard screamer than putting Weimann in 1 v 1 with the keeper.

Such a shame that we won't be watching Benteke at the world cup. Was looking forward to see him terrorise defences :(

Think of the positives.  It means you'll probably be able to watch at Villa next season.

• Like 4

Lukaku, flat track, one dimensional bully who doesn't do it when it counts.

Vs Algeria last night he did have the proverbial touch of a rapist. His first touch control was worse than a bunch of 7 year olds on a kick around down the park. At times he looked truly woeful?

he has a better strike rate than Benteke. But that's about it. A lot weaker in the air.. his passing etc is all weaker. There was an article comparing the two a few days ago.

Lukaku, 21 years old starting his first ever World Cup game for a Belgian side hyped up (rightly so) very much carrying the striker role for them alone now that Benteke is out.

Not really a huge shock if nerves and pressure got the best of him, still a very good young player

If Lukaku can sort out his first touch he'd be an excellent player. He's fast, agile, big, strong and great at shooting, but people tend to overestimate his technical abilities. If he can keep getting better in that department, then I reckon he'll be a terrifying prospect.

So long as this injury doesn't set him back too much, however, I do think we have the superior player.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Benteke and Lukaku are often compared to one another because of their race and stature. They're both big, strong, quick Belgian players of Congolese descent. For me though they're very far apart in terms of playing style and Benteke clinches it as the better all-round striker.

• Like 3

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Benteke and Lukaku are often compared to one another because of their race and stature. They're both big, strong, quick Belgian players of Congolese descent. For me though they're very far apart in terms of playing style and Benteke clinches it as the better all-round striker.

Their best attributes are that they are big, strong and quick. So I find it naturally to compare them when they fight for the same spot for the same national team.

Who is

Harder

Better

Faster

Stronger?

Their best attributes are that they are big, strong and quick. So I find it naturally to compare them when they fight for the same spot for the same national team.

Who is

Harder

Better

Faster

Stronger?

N-n-now that that don't kill me

Can only make me stronger

I need you to hurry up now

Cause I can't wait much longer

Â