Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

I kinda hope we aren't in for this guy. Other thjan the low price\wages he doesn't seem to be anything we don't already have. Its perhaps an indication of how far Aston Villa have fallen that so many are hoping we sign a guy who isn't even a first team regular within the polish league. Seems like £2.5m down the pan to me. I don't see this happening.

People were saying exactly the same when we got linked to Christian Benteke last summer.

With respect there is no comparison. Bentekke was the rising star of the Belguim national team - his current club Genk were very keen to hang onto him, a fee of £11m was mentioned at one stage. I think the only reservations that were expressed was if he could adapt to the premier league - most people on here were pretty excited.

Ive never seem him play - but his CV doesn't seem a patch on Bentekke's. If he comes in and has a similar impact to Bentekke, I will happily admit I was wrong.

I don't see us doing this deal in anycase.

I can't find the post, but I distinctly remember some Belgian guy giving his opinion on Benteke before we signed him - saying that he was hit and miss and probably wasn't ready for the step up to the Premier League quite yet. Look how that turned out.

Was it Hitler passing his name on? He knew that Poland was very close to Germany. I learned that in history.

I've now got this weird mental image of Adolf Hitler mincing through "Poland" (which in my mind is some kind of factory space") shouting camp phrases and waving a piece of paper with Tonev's name on it.

Just wanted to share that.

• Like 1

In fairness, you've never seen me play either and I can't imagine you'd be happy if I was lining up for Villa next year.

You do yourself a discredit, I would love to see this.  Imagine the Shillzzico shirt sales.

In fairness, you've never seen me play either and I can't imagine you'd be happy if I was lining up for Villa next year.

You do yourself a discredit, I would love to see this.  Imagine the Shillzzico shirt sales.

I do wish I had the skills to justify getting this on the back of my Brazil replica shirt. In all honesty, I'm already pushing my luck with the colourful nature of my boots.

I kinda hope we aren't in for this guy. Other thjan the low price\wages he doesn't seem to be anything we don't already have. Its perhaps an indication of how far Aston Villa have fallen that so many are hoping we sign a guy who isn't even a first team regular within the polish league. Seems like £2.5m down the pan to me. I don't see this happening.

People were saying exactly the same when we got linked to Christian Benteke last summer.

With respect there is no comparison. Bentekke was the rising star of the Belguim national team - his current club Genk were very keen to hang onto him, a fee of £11m was mentioned at one stage. I think the only reservations that were expressed was if he could adapt to the premier league - most people on here were pretty excited.

Ive never seem him play - but his CV doesn't seem a patch on Bentekke's. If he comes in and has a similar impact to Bentekke, I will happily admit I was wrong.

I can't find the post, but I distinctly remember some Belgian guy giving his opinion on Benteke before we signed him - saying that he was hit and miss and probably wasn't ready for the step up to the Premier League quite yet. Look how that turned out.

Yep i remember quite a few opinions like that from his clubs fans saying he wasn't all that. What utter cods wallop

General manager Thomas Eichin confirmed to Kreiszeitung Syke: "Aleksandar Tonev is with Lech Poznan. It's true we we would be happy if we could bring him over to our club (this summer).

"But, of course, there are different other clubs hoping to also secure his services."

http://tinyurl.com/kl24hwx

If he joins Bremen, pretty sure the fans who have been saying he's poor will slate our club for not sealing the deal.

General manager Thomas Eichin confirmed to Kreiszeitung Syke: "Aleksandar Tonev is with Lech Poznan. It's true we we would be happy if we could bring him over to our club (this summer).

"But, of course, there are different other clubs hoping to also secure his services."

http://tinyurl.com/kl24hwx

If he joins Bremen, pretty sure the fans who have been saying he's poor will slate our club for not sealing the deal.

If he joins us, then I hpe he does well.

I won't loose to much sleep if we miss out though. Not totally convinced we are in for him TBH.

No thanks. Signings like this can go either way. Yes they cab be great or they can be not so great. I think id rather spend extra money and sign some players who are definitely going to perform well for us. Because thats worked so well for us in the past.

PLease. Lets go sign more Ireland, Dunne, Given, Hutton and Warnocks. At least we know 100% theyll never let us down.

/S

• Like 4

I remember someone with knowledge of the Belgian league saying he had some very positive attributes and a lot of potential, but he was inexperienced and inconsistent.  I think that was fair.  He's been a great signing, and has improved in his time with us, but he's also had a few games where he's not done much.  I don't remember someone saying he wasn't ready for the PL, more on the lines of don't expect too much consistency.

Bring him in! We need more strength in depth and Lambert has been pretty shrewd and has a good idea of what type of player he likes... and if Stan the Man has indeed recommended him, I have faith... In Lambert and Stan I trust!

Yeah I remember some chap saying he was OK but couldn't believe we'd paid £7m for him. Here we are 10 months later hoping we can hold onto him if someone offers £30m.

Depressed after the end of the season and avoiding the boards usually.

On topic, Popov said that talks with Tonev are in advances stages so it looks more likely that we'll sign him

He's a winger who likes to have a crack at goal. Two things we're only slightly short of at the minute..

Was it Hitler passing his name on?  He knew that Poland was very close to Germany.  I learned that in history.

Close the thread.  Godwin's law has been invoked.  I would have put my money on the Bannan thread being the first one to reach this stage! :)

Was it Hitler passing his name on? He knew that Poland was very close to Germany. I learned that in history.

Close the thread. Godwin's law has been invoked. I would have put my money on the Bannan thread being the first one to reach this stage! :)

Not yet, he said Hitler, no mention of the Nazi's...

Ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Â