Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

i wouldnt go that far, the english national side are f##king useless as well, id prefer to watch corrie than them

EDIT: im not slating him, im slating the opposition in which makes him look like messi

Isn't saying he's going to struggle slating him?

i still don't think this is a runner - I think lambert will be looking to shore up that defence first   (But thats only IMO, Baby Stefan) - if you are allowed up after  10pm !!!!

Is there a rule (IN YOUR OPINION of course...) that Lambert HAS to buy a defence first before he buys any other players...? 

Edited by KjParton

I dont really see how anybody can say no to this guy based on the league he comes from. Nobody really knows what the day-to-day quality of the Ekstraklasa is like. 

Westwood was playing in League 2 team that just (literally just, finished 7th) managed to scrape into the L2 playoffs. Playing vs teams such as Barnet and Macclesfield

Lowton was playing against the likes of Chesterfield, Rochdale and Colchester in League 1.

Sylla left his team Clermont Foot in January who finished in the dizzying heights of 14th in Ligue 2, whose opposition included Chamois Niortais and FC Istres.

On the other hand, Tonev, who yes probably plays against some tripe a lot of the time, plays for Poznan who have been pretty consistently in the Europa League and have played against the likes of Man City and Juventus*

*Full disclosure: I dont know if Tonev played or not** but still the point stands. Surely Lambert deserves the trust to go to an utterly cack league and pull out a player. 3 of our best players last season were pulled from inferior leagues in League 1, 2 and the Jupiler.

**Edit: He did not.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

Aleksandar Tonev (BulgarianАлександър Тонев; born 3 February 1990 in Elin Pelin) is a Bulgarian footballer who plays as awinger for Aston Villa in the Premier League and the Bulgaria national football team.[1]

On 1 June 2013, Aston Villa agreed a £2.5 million deal to sign Tonev. He is expected to join the club on the 1st of July.

Direct from Wikipedia - I know people can edit anything on Wikipedia but thought i'd post it anyway. 

Edited by KjParton

I dont really see how anybody can say no to this guy based on the league he comes from. Nobody really knows what the day-to-day quality of the Ekstraklasa is like. 

Westwood was playing in League 2 team that just (literally just, finished 7th) managed to scrape into the L2 playoffs. Playing vs teams such as Barnet and Macclesfield

Lowton was playing against the likes of Chesterfield, Rochdale and Colchester in League 1.

Sylla left his team Clermont Foot in January who finished in the dizzying heights of 14th in Ligue 2, whose opposition included Chamois Niortais and FC Istres.

On the other hand, Tonev, who yes probably plays against some tripe a lot of the time, plays for Poznan who have been pretty consistently in the Europa League and have played against the likes of Man City and Juventus*

*Full disclosure: I dont know if Tonev played or not but still the point stands. Surely Lambert deserves the trust to go to an utterly cack league and pull out a player. 3 of our best players last season were pulled from inferior leagues in League 1, 2 and the Jupiler.

Absolutley Lambo has earned our trust. At the end of the day he has more to loose than anyone ! - IMO though Lambert has more pressing concerns than another wide man, More precisely CB and LB - Of course Lambo could have had tabs on this player for a while - and now is the time to seal the deal the deal........maybe. But given his budget, I think a wide player is low down on his list of priorities........................(All IMO of course) 

Don't see how the Polish League is any more of a step up than League 2 and Westwood was great this year. Same with League 1 and Lowton. You could even make a case for the Belgian league. If Lambert wants him, then I'm on board.

unlike this time last year, im trusting Lamberts decisions in the market. Yeah, he's signed a dud or two (KEA, Bennett), but the likes of Tekkers and Lowton more than make up for a couple of players who haven't impressed. Lambert just sounded like an idiot with the whole we go again week after week when we were getting shit on and made to look like a League 2 side, but credit where credits due, since id say the 3-3 at Goodison, we've looked a very decent side and it all boils down to the players self-belief at the end of the day which they started (as PL predicted) to gain towards the back end of the season. I for one trust the guy after a rocky start to life in the hotseat, most his signings have had a positive impact on the side and I like the direction we're going now, especially getting all the high earning deadwood out the club.

Tonev will hopefully prove to be the next part in this jigsaw PL is putting together. He will be keen to impress in England and that's all we ask, doesn't seem short on quality to me either from the clips ive seen. Get him in.

• Like 1

The step up from Poland to PL is absolutely huge

So too is the step-up from League One/Two to the PL, a certain A. Westwood has done fairly well wouldn't you say?

Give them a chance eh?!

Give players a chance? What's that?

• Like 1

Who has stepped up to a decent level in the last 3 years from Poznan except Rudnevs and Lewandowski?

dont really understand this comment. Its like saying you stepped up to a decent level from Crewe in last 3 years or Clermont Foot or even Genk

• Like 3

The fact is we will be signing 5 or 6 players this summer who will need to "step up" so there's no point arguing that one particular player will need to do it. We are targeting young, hungry players who will most likely have never played PL football before.

It's going to be a painful few months if people argue about the experience of our inexperienced signings in every speculation thread.

Lambert needs to be trusted as he has proven with Benteke, Lowton, Westwood and Sylla that he has an eye for a young, hungry player. In fact 2 of our more disappointing signings in Vlaar and KEA have top flight experience and neither has impressed greatly so far.

I hope we continue to see inexperienced players come in who will keep fighting for the team.

Totally agree.

Great post jacketspuds.

If he got anything right, we can say that Lambert did well in the transfer market. He deserves a bit of faith with it at the moment.

Those expecting experienced Premier League players I'm sorry it's just not going to happen. The only players where I think Lambert may look at guys over 25 could be a centre back and maybe a midfielder.

Let's just enjoy the unknown and get behind our club!

My twopennys worth;

I can't comment either way or any other player from that league.

We know the market that we will be doing business in so should accept it at present rather than shout from the rooftops every time we're linked to an "unknown"

Lambert has proven that he can pluck these "unknowns" and turn them into established PL players-Not my ideal choice of signings but we've so often complained in the past that these gems that other teams have been unearthing were continually been missed/overlooked by ourselves.

I personally trust Lambert 100% in the transfer market.I doubt he'll get everyone right but he'll get more right than he will wrong.

The step up from Poland to PL is absolutely huge

So too is the step-up from League One/Two to the PL, a certain A. Westwood has done fairly well wouldn't you say?

Give them a chance eh?!

Give players a chance? What's that?

I've always been one of those posters who have given players a chance. :lol:

It is a big step up but for the money talked about we are at least reducing some risk if it doesn't work out.

It's about time we took a punt on these sorts of players, if it works out it's fantastic business, if not we are hardly left with an expensive flop on our books. I'd rather us sign players like this than expensive and overrated shite like N'Zogbia.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Put it this way - if players are taking a step down or even across to join us - that's not what Lambert wants. He wants players who are both on the up  and want to go up.

Progression. Not the regression of signing Man City and Spurs reserves who are on large wages.

FWIW a winger is exactly what we need. No secret we've been targeted on the flanks due to only really having full backs there. Bennett will be better off having a person in front of him for example than having two wide players coming at him. Something people don't seem to take into consideration when the position of the player is revealed "oh we don't need a winger, LB is the concern" is that players in one position directly affect others in another.

Par example Delph. Having Sylla around means he has more license to do his leggy runs out of midfield. And having a winger will mean Bennett will not need to be sole creator from the left flank.

It's shown this year, why we've been such a potent attacking force and such a weak defensive one. Weimann and Gabby are hardly the most defensive players - they are strikers playing as inside forwards after all - and Lowton and Bennett/LB have been overworked constantly. One this is balanced we'll be a potent attacking force and not a pushover in defence. Small steps. Personally I'm glad Lambert is acknowledging our weakness wide.

• Like 3

Â