Squad numbers for next season

Mantis

I'm surprised Grealish didn't get given a squad number.

Good point - i hadn't realised that , he has looked one of our better players so far in pre season and could have a part to play from the bench.

no siegrist, donacien, grealish or drennan?

baker having 2 is odd, should of left it vacant till lowton was ready to take it, only 23 is vacant for a new player, bacuna having 7 is odd as well, maybe hes going to be a regular starter?

I think people care and put way too much stock into this. 23 being open might mean something, it might not. Just like the chairs at a press conference. Maybe Tonev and Carruthers wanted those numbers for a particular reason so poor old 23 got left out. Maybe 23 is left open for another of the young lads to "win" this pre season?

Also KEA has 8. Squad number has no baring at all on how liked you are by the manager, unless you're number 42 ;)

• Like 1

I think people care and put way too much stock into this. 23 being open might mean something, it might not. Just like the chairs at a press conference. Maybe Tonev and Carruthers wanted those numbers for a particular reason so poor old 23 got left out. Maybe 23 is left open for another of the young lads to "win" this pre season?

Also KEA has 8. Squad number has no baring at all on how liked you are by the manager, unless you're number 42 ;)

Also 36 apparently...

baker having 2 is odd, should of left it vacant till lowton was ready to take it, only 23 is vacant for a new player, bacuna having 7 is odd as well, maybe hes going to be a regular starter?

Forgive my ignorance but do youth players need numbers to play? I thought there was some rule that they were "freebies" to the club when needed?

Forgive my ignorance but do youth players need numbers to play? I thought there was some rule that they were "freebies" to the club when needed?

1) Yes

2) Kind of, they don't need to be registered if they are under 21, they can be given a number whenever they are needed, but so can any other player. I don't think numbers are overly official, they just make it easier for the FA and Premier League to track things such as discipline, goals, other statistics, bans and help process registration i'd imagine. Numbers are generally submitted in huge chunks at the start of the season to include players that will need registration in case they're are needed and for the players who are most likely to play this coming year.

At the end of the day numbers aren't really needed, they're just marketing ploys by the clubs, to sell more shirts with names and numbers. The season would run just as well with every team having shirts numbered 1-18 on match day, rugby does for example, and it was less than 20 years ago that squad numbers were introduced, I think.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

Maybe they're leaving 23 open until we've brought in Beckham on a free for a weekly wage that will be paid directly to Acorns to celebrate their 25th anniversary!

I heard Lambert watched that Jim Carey movie 23 and was extremely spooked out by it so I doubt anyone but Bannan would get that number. 

Wow, this I've never seen before. Taking players numbers and giving them to other players before they are even sold. Any have any examples of this happening before?

I don't know why the bombsquad even has numbers, if it's some kind of statement from PL or what. If they don't get sold, they don't need a number even if they are registered for PL play?

Bacuna taking nr. 7 is also interesting, might be Lambert has big plans for this lad.

1) Yes

2) Kind of, they don't need to be registered if they are under 21, they can be given a number whenever they are needed, but so can any other player. I don't think numbers are overly official, they just make it easier for the FA and Premier League to track things such as discipline, goals, other statistics, bans and help process registration i'd imagine. Numbers are generally submitted in huge chunks at the start of the season to include players that will need registration in case they're are needed and for the players who are most likely to play this coming year.

At the end of the day numbers aren't really needed, they're just marketing ploys by the clubs, to sell more shirts with names and numbers. The season would run just as well with every team having shirts numbered 1-18 on match day, rugby does for example, and it was less than 20 years ago that squad numbers were introduced, I think.

The only reason the numbers are set by clubs at the start of the season is so fans can get replica shirts.

You could submit a different set of shirt numbers to the match ref at the start of each game if you so wished but the fan sitting in the ground who'd paid out £50 for 'Benteke 20' might get a bit annoyed when he is wearing number 9 that match.

Wow, this I've never seen before. Taking players numbers and giving them to other players before they are even sold. Any have any examples of this happening before?

Salifou -> Makoun

I've just popped to the new street store and got Sylla 18 on my new away shirt. :) - He's going to be a very important players for us this season.

Yeah he sure is. Think I am might get his away shirt as well.

Just ordered my Helenius home shirt. Do find it funny that you have to take like 2XLL to have Albrighton or Agbonlahor :P 

N'Zogbia also in bomb squad then.

It certainly looks that way, doesn't it?

Surprising and slightly disappointing if I'm honest. He didn't do that badly last season. He must be on too high a wage to justify his place.

I'd say £10k per week would be too much to justify his place.

The guy's been shite, simple as although I do believe that his winning free kick against Wet Spam began a process which eventually say us stay up so for that I am grateful to him.

Â